harmonic balancer help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

harmonic balancer help

I'm replacing water pump for 3rd time on my 05 duramax and harmonic balancer is kicking my butt for last couple hrs I cannot get bolt to break free to get balancer off... Any suggestions I've put slight bow in my pull bar if that tells ya what been dealing with... Any suggestions I'm willing to try anything now if I've got the resources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I meant breaker bar and I also put a lil curve into my 1/2 drive rachet
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I used a 3/4" drive 18" long S&K "T" bar and a heavy wall stainless steel pipe, along with a Lisle Duramax harmonic removal kit. Get the kit if you don't have it. How many miles do you have on your truck? So far, I've only done mine once at about 135K.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

This tool will help if you can find a rental yard that has one. It is a 4-1 Torque Multiplier, reduces the torque required by 4 so 275 Ft Lbs becomes 69 Ft Lbs.

It has a 1/2" input and 3/4" output so the Lisle tool fits perfectly.
Attached Images

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:44 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

With all the belts off, put the breaker bar handle against the alternator pulley. Buddy of mine carefully held mine there, then just give the ignition a quick crack (just a split second, literally). If it doesnt break that bolt loose, then you may need the hulk.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:16 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Get the harmonic balancer lock tool with socket. Get a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a cheater pipe to go over it. Put the hood in the service position so you don't hit the hood with the cheater bar. Cheater bar should be about 5ft. In length and you should have no problems with that bolt.

Also get a new bolt. They are torque to yield fastener. So any time you take it off you should replace it. That being said I have replace my water pump twice and reused the same bolt. I didn't know that it should be replaced. When tightening the bolt, torque it to 74 ft. Lbs. Then tighten the bolt to 105 degrees. Each point on the bolt is 30 degrees. Each valley is 15 degrees. Mark a bolt point to the washer and balancer. Count 3 points and a valley (105) counter clockwise and mark the valley. Tighten the bolt to the marks.

LBZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode