Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2018 GMC Denali HD timbren question

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Woodguru 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new to forum but have been reading it forever. Just wanted to say hi but also had a quick question about the Timbrens I just bought and installed on my truck. It’s a 2500 so no helper Springs, which I looked into adding but seem to be unreasonably priced for the resistance you actually get, which is why I have Timbrens in the first place. Anyways I tow about 10k worth of 37 foot travel trailer every now and then which, due to the pin weight, would drop my Denali a lot. Now that I have Timbrens there is basically no drop at all they work awesome and make towing a really fun event when it use to be a somewhat pain in the butt because I was rocking so much due to my front end pointing twards the sky. I am wondering if I should consider adding maybe a one inch spacer to close my 1 1/2 inch gap between my rear end and the actual Timbrens as they sit right now. They do not effect my unloaded ride At ALL which is nice but I feel like it might help me in terms of adding more resistance support while still (hopefully) not effect unloaded ride quality too much. Should I go with a spacer? Thanks guys have a good one, Brandon.

:|

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you add a spacer your ride will be affected because the Timbren will be engaged. I have the HD Timbrens along with lower Stable Loads due to carrying over 3,000lbs in my box regularly. Very stable setup and no dealing with bouncy airbags and leaking air.

#4 ·

That's what I was thinking, with a properly set-up WDH shouldn't need the Timbrens with a bumper pull. I have the Timbrens on my 3500 SRW & they work awesome when pulling my 14,500 5iver.

#7 ·
No I am using a adjustable 14k ball hitch, no sway at all. I considered going with a wdh but it pulls awesome with no issues at all

#8 ·
Pulling is great. Its the stopping and steering that get you. With a WDH you essentially keep the front of the trailer from diving the rear of the truck downward when you start slowing down. I have towed with and without a WDH. With the WDH you get the added benefit of keeping weight on the front and off the rear. The WDH I had on my TT also included sway control. Trailer was not that heavy and the 06 could have handled it with no issues, but having sway control is a benefit especially when you get in cross winds.

WD hitches actually help by keeping the front weight from transferring to the rear. Drive your truck across the scales hitched and unhitched. You will be amazed at how much weight gets taken off the front.

#10 ·
I get the whole wdh deal, Not debating on if it would help or not I’m sure it would, I am just wondering for general towing purposes if anyone has used timbren spacers and had good results? I tow more than just this travel trailer, just looking to get a good balance.

#11 ·
also, quick question about wdh, how much lower will my pin weight be? I mean, everyone talks about how it will help level out the truck so how many pounds of pin weight will it subtract from my ball? I got no issue with sway.

#12 ·
Check out this thread I posted a while back.

2017 SILVERADO 3500 CCSB DURAMAX L5P 4WD – WEIGHT ANALYSIS

I used actual weights from a CAT scale for this. Note that my spring bars are designed for a much lower weight than what I actually pull, so a properly sized WDH setup would be able to transfer more weight to the front axle.

I agree with @jlawles2 that the handling with a WDH is vastly improved over a regular load-carrying hitch.

#13 ·
I asked e trailer about the use of Timbern's with a WDH and this was the response

"Will the addition of the Timbren affect the use of a weight distribution hitch?"

etrailer.com
They can both be used together. If you're adding Timbrens to a towing setup that already uses weight distribution you'll likely need to adjust the system. The support of the Timbrens might change the tension needed on the WD but once you adjust it they'll work together.

#14 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 Outback 333FE similar to you trailer. I use an Equali-z-er 12,000lb hitch and my truck and trailer set level to each other, no need for Timbrens. I have pulled it more than 25,000 miles all through the south and southwest and west coast. Pulls like a dream, I have been in 50 mile an hour cross winds and it is stable. Look at my avitar, it is a very long rig. Can't believe anyone would pull a trailer this size and not use a weight distribution hitch.

#15 ·
I tried Timbrens a number of years ago, can't remember the year for sure. On an '01 ex cab short box. It had 60k or so on it at the time. They did ok when towing but were horrible when not. On my setup they were too close to the pads and would "kick" like crazy over medium and large bumps and dips in the road. Everything was stock so not really sure what the deal was as far as clearances. Maybe it was the miles of towing already, maybe it was the weight of the topper, maybe both. I ended up taking them out. I would not reduce the unlaiden space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.