I'm Considering Another Duramax Should I Punch Myself In The Groin - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

I'm Considering Another Duramax Should I Punch Myself In The Groin

Yeah I know the title is kinda click bait, sorry. I would like to get your valued opinions on mainly DEF/emissions reliability. I would be replacing a 2018 Crewmax Platinum Tundra with less than 10k miles with possibly a 2015 or 2016 2500 series Silverado or Sierra. These would be Certified Pre Owned with around 60k miles and priced about $44k or so from what I am finding in my search area of about 250 miles.

My main concern is that since I am now retired the truck would only be driven about 5-6000 miles a year unloaded and lots of short trips. We no longer have a camper. So basically driven as a grocery getter.

My main concern is the reliability of the DEF system. I have been reading through some of the def related threads on here and this seems to be a weak point that gets a lot of discussion. Would the CPO warranty cover DEF failures under the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty or would these repairs qualify for the longer powertrain?

Yeah, I know that realistically I should just stick with the Tundra but I miss the sound and feel and smell of my Duramax. The heart wants what the heart wants...

Diesel emissions have come a long way in terms of reliability but given how I intend to drive this truck would I be asking trouble? I would like to avoid potentially expensive and frustrating trips to the dealership. Thanks.

2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
SOLD:2008 LMM Silverado 2500 LTZ ECSB 4X4.
Aftermarket DSP5 calibration by Danville Performance, Blocked and re-routed, Nicktane with Baldwin BF7587, PPE lift pump with Baldwin BF1212 water separator, 285/75/17 Dura Grapplers on H2s, CTS Insight with pyro.HIDs in fogs and high beams.

Proud Member U/A Local 693 Plumbers/Pipefitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Diesel pickups earn their keep when they work long and hard pulling a load, especially those equipped with DEF/DPF emissions equipment. Short trips and limited loading are hard on diesels with the newer systems, I would stick with what you got. I don't think an emissions laden truck would be happy with short infrequent driving. If you really do miss the "sound and feel and smell" of a diesel, why not find a well maintained LBZ or LLY, you will pay a premium price but there's a reason good pre DEF/DPF/CP4 trucks are still highly desirable....and dependable....

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 09:05 AM

Every time I go to the dealer for service on my LBZ darn near every time some employee says "dont ever sell that truck as long as you need a truck". They are seeing a lot of issues on emission systems on the newer trucks. Not only expensive repairs but they are having difficulty getting parts.

I would say keep the Tundra. They are great trucks and line up better with your intended use.
ALLY Cat likes this.

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:33 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes kick yourself in the groin, wait a few moments and kick yourself again and again until all thoughts of getting another duramax have been purged from your brain. My 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8 has had the shifter replaced, three sensors replaced, a wastegate rod fall off requiring the complete replacement of the turbo. My latest issue started in Sedona, the part was unfindable so a ‘rigged’ fixed was executed to get me back to Texas, the fix failed 750 miles from home so we limped at between 35-50 mph all the way home. Truck taken to dealer where it was kept for seven weeks awaiting parts. Finally picked it up yesterday and drove it 3 miles before it once again failed so took back to shop. Don’t expect to see it anytime soon. It’s junk, take a look at Ford ecoboost, that’s where I am going assuming I ever get my truck back in trade in condition.
If kicking yourself in the groin dies not work try exorcism to purge those even thoughts
poosniffer and steevoo like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
Diesel pickups earn their keep when they work long and hard pulling a load, especially those equipped with DEF/DPF emissions equipment. Short trips and limited loading are hard on diesels with the newer systems, I would stick with what you got. I don't think an emissions laden truck would be happy with short infrequent driving. If you really do miss the "sound and feel and smell" of a diesel, why not find a well maintained LBZ or LLY, you will pay a premium price but there's a reason good pre DEF/DPF/CP4 trucks are still highly desirable....and dependable....
Every once in a while a nice LBZ pops up on my local Craigslist. Also these trucks tend to have 150,000 or more miles. The thing is that I really like the creature comforts of the newer trucks (heated steering wheel, cooled seats etc).

Aftermarket DSP5 calibration by Danville Performance, Blocked and re-routed, Nicktane with Baldwin BF7587, PPE lift pump with Baldwin BF1212 water separator, 285/75/17 Dura Grapplers on H2s, CTS Insight with pyro.HIDs in fogs and high beams.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swdsaenz View Post
Yes kick yourself in the groin, wait a few moments and kick yourself again and again until all thoughts of getting another duramax have been purged from your brain. My 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8 has had the shifter replaced, three sensors replaced, a wastegate rod fall off requiring the complete replacement of the turbo. My latest issue started in Sedona, the part was unfindable so a Ďriggedí fixed was executed to get me back to Texas, the fix failed 750 miles from home so we limped at between 35-50 mph all the way home. Truck taken to dealer where it was kept for seven weeks awaiting parts. Finally picked it up yesterday and drove it 3 miles before it once again failed so took back to shop. Donít expect to see it anytime soon. Itís junk, take a look at Ford ecoboost, thatís where I am going assuming I ever get my truck back in trade in condition.
If kicking yourself in the groin dies not work try exorcism to purge those even thoughts
LOL thanks bud for sharing your situation. I hope that you get your truck fixed ASAP. Not sure how reliable the Ecoboost is though.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:42 AM

If you really want a diesel fix I would wait a couple years and let the L5Ps come down in value a bit. The LMLs had numerous DEF and CP4 issues. They are a good truck but as others have stated they need to be worked and used on longer trips to make the emissions stuff work as advertized. Maybe worth looking at one of the new 3.0L Duramaxes in the 1500s for an option. Dean

BTW I got a friend who has one of the EcoBoost Fords and loves it. He pulls a toy hauler with it and has no issues. I'm not much of a Ford guy but I will take my hat off to them on the twin turbo EcoBoost V6s. Runs strong and great gas mileage. Got one on a rental on an Expedition. Lots of power and got a steady 19-20 MPG doing 75 on the interstate. Dean
poosniffer likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM

I hate to say it. Don't know how much you would have to owe on trading the Tundra in or if you could trade it in for even. But Chevrolet right now is running 0 percent financing but ends tomorrow for 2019 2500hd. I was looking to sell my 2017 with 60k for a new 2019. The new truck payments would save me some money verses the rate I am paying now for the 2017.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poosniffer View Post
LOL thanks bud for sharing your situation. I hope that you get your truck fixed ASAP. Not sure how reliable the Ecoboost is though.
My uncle tows a 30’ cougar TT with a F150 N/A 5.0L and loves it. A bit more hp than the 3.5L eco boost but less torque

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 04:22 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I cannot catch a break! I picked up my 2016 canyon Duro New Year’s Eve. Been in shop since October 20 with turbo, then engine temp sensor issues. Made it three miles down the road and went into limp mode. They ‘think’ it is intercooler. I’m afraid it may be a while since they do not have to diagnostic tool needed to find the problem, the. I have to hope they have parts to fix the problem. Apparent GM no longer overbites anything so many days will be added to equation. I am appealing to GM to trade me into a 2019 model something other than duro diesel as coming up on three months of problems on top of problems. GM makes good stuff as borne out on consumer reports so not sure why mine is falling apart. Dealer has been good about giving me a loner so can’t complain too much but really need my vehicle. Live on a ranch and ‘live’ out of that truck so it’s a bit discombobulating to find things I need to operate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode