Help to get Smoother Ride for 03 Crew Cab - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm3dmax View Post
This is extremely helpful. Thanks so much. I may try swapping the Cognito UCA's, bolt the ball joint below the control arm and then adjust the torsion bars accordingly to get the cv axles as parallel to the ground as possible. Based upon what you mentioned, this may still give me some leveling but also should correctly align the CV axles to give a much better ride. Let me know if I misunderstood.
It will likely help, but probably not get the angles down to being level. But, it could be enough of a change to make it satisfactory to your comfort level. And remember, any time ball joints or control arms are changed-get an alignment. If you adjust the torsion bars it will affect the alignment. So, if you swap to the Cognito arms, move the truck around a bit, get your torsion bars adjusted to where you are satisfied, and then get an alignment to avoid wearing the tires.
Enigma66, EJCarter and Cm3dmax like this.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXfirefighter View Post
So, if you swap to the Cognito arms, move the truck around a bit, get your torsion bars adjusted to where you are satisfied, and then get an alignment to avoid wearing the tires.
Definitely. Fortunately, I have a lifetime alignment contract with Firestone so getting an alignment costs nothing but time at this point.
DMAXfirefighter likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Garage
I'll second what DMAXFF is stating...and just from my personal background, my previous truck was an '04 LLY that I ran leveled not long after I purchased it new, until I sold it in early 2016 to get what I have now. I also towed a 24' toyhauler very frequently. My torsions were cranked to just slightly below level. I ran 285's also, but I trimmed the lower plastic under the front bumper at about a 30 degree or so angle for a little more clearance. From your pics, you seem to be a little higher in the front with room to lower it down a little. This will definitely improve the ride. Mine was a little stiffer than it was stock, but only more "truck" like. Not harsh at all. My CV angles were increased a little, but still much flatter than yours. The ribs of your CV boots appear to be touching which is something we that should be avoided as much as possible. In the 12 years I had the '04 and put on over 160,000 miles leveled, I never had any serious front end issues. Now I did have to replace the ball joints a few times, and if my memory is correct, I did replace the idler and pitman arms a couple times, but that was really it...aside from routine alignments and normal tire replacements / rotations. And I ran the stock UCAs. If we choose to level, lift, or lower, we are altering the stock geometry. This will have an effect on the components and will likely increase the wear, thus requiring an increased replacement frequency.

2016 Sierra 2500HD Denali CCSB 4x4
- CCM Leveling Kit
- Bilstein 5100 Shocks
- Nitto Ridge Grappler (285/65 R20)
- Edge Insight CTS2 in Console Mount
- Highway Products Tool Box
- LED Fog Lights
- Rigid LED Back Up Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJCarter View Post
I'll second what DMAXFF is stating...and just from my personal background, my previous truck was an '04 LLY that I ran leveled not long after I purchased it new, until I sold it in early 2016 to get what I have now. I also towed a 24' toyhauler very frequently. My torsions were cranked to just slightly below level. I ran 285's also, but I trimmed the lower plastic under the front bumper at about a 30 degree or so angle for a little more clearance. From your pics, you seem to be a little higher in the front with room to lower it down a little. This will definitely improve the ride. Mine was a little stiffer than it was stock, but only more "truck" like. Not harsh at all. My CV angles were increased a little, but still much flatter than yours. The ribs of your CV boots appear to be touching which is something we that should be avoided as much as possible. In the 12 years I had the '04 and put on over 160,000 miles leveled, I never had any serious front end issues. Now I did have to replace the ball joints a few times, and if my memory is correct, I did replace the idler and pitman arms a couple times, but that was really it...aside from routine alignments and normal tire replacements / rotations. And I ran the stock UCAs. If we choose to level, lift, or lower, we are altering the stock geometry. This will have an effect on the components and will likely increase the wear, thus requiring an increased replacement frequency.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. I’m exactly leveled front and back but will start with lowering the front since it doesn’t cost me anything except maybe an alignment. If that improves the ride, then I may upgrade and replace the UCA’s and then adjust again to maintain the geometry and still keep a better ride. Thanks

2003 Chevy 2500HD LT
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:03 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I don't think I see the jounce bumpers in your front suspension. Perhaps not looking in the correct place. If yours are gone, NOT having them can cause a rough ride. Although my truck is a 2WD, I found that one of mine was torn, ineffective, and replacing it made for a substantially better drive. Your 4WD truck appears to have been made with this part. In any case, check the part itself to make sure it is not torn nor damaged. Only 1 bolt to remove it.

GM Part No.: 15835666

Bumper,Front Lower Control Arm
About $28

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
I don't think I see the jounce bumpers in your front suspension. Perhaps not looking in the correct place. If yours are gone, NOT having them can cause a rough ride. Although my truck is a 2WD, I found that one of mine was torn, ineffective, and replacing it made for a substantially better drive. Your 4WD truck appears to have been made with this part. In any case, check the part itself to make sure it is not torn nor damaged. Only 1 bolt to remove it.

GM Part No.: 15835666

Bumper,Front Lower Control Arm
About $28
Thanks, you’re right. I checked and it’s obliterated in the driver’s side too so ordered two. Thanks

2003 Chevy 2500HD LT
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Installed the jounce bumpers and lowered the front 1 inch (10 turns). Do the angles look better? The ribs of the CV boots aren't touching anymore. Seems to ride a bit better but could just be psychological. The true test is to have my wife and daughter ride in it.
Attached Images

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Installed the jounce bumpers and lowered the front 1 inch (10 turns). Do the angles look better? The ribs of the CV boots aren't touching anymore. Seems to ride a bit better but could just be psychological. The true test is to have my wife and daughter ride in it.
It’s actually 5 full turns (10 half turns)

2003 Chevy 2500HD LT
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:47 AM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
Quote:
Angles do look better, so I would run with that for a couple weeks and see how you like it. Ultimately that's an answer only you can come to, since its your truck and your comfort level. Between the lower tension on the torsion bar and the jounce bumper being in place now, its bound to make some difference.

I thought about the jounce bumper when I looked at your picture, but in my truck that didn't seem to matter much-but I'm a lot lower than you are as well

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed

Last edited by DMAXfirefighter; 01-14-2020 at 05:57 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

The GM front suspension was designed so that the LCAs are resting on, or at least touching the jounce bumpers. They are an integral part of the suspension and if they're not adjusted right the truck will ride poorly.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in