Highest miles, over 200k, on a stock engine - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
I've allowed injectors and fuel pump since starting the thread so you're still in if everything else between turbo and oil pan is original.
Yup, the only 2 things I didn't list was a water pump at 117k and oil cooler to block gasket at ~290k (was leaking coolant). I recently (about 3 weeks ago) went back to OEM fuel filters. I had changed trying to get my injectors to last longer. Didn't make ANY difference so went back to factory type.

Lots of suspension and steering type stuff over the years and have max 40k miles on most front-end parts and about 10k on a new steering box. Drives like a new truck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 410,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:30 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotheizzack View Post
Bought a bone stock 06 LBZ with around 390k. It drove around ok but had no power if you accelerated hard. Everyone was saying it needed injectors but it was the injection pump. EGR System was in place but I removed it at the same time as CP3. Original turbo, injectors, transmission etc. So there is some evidence of the completely stock engine and transmission making it to nearly 400k, although the CP3 probably needed replaced before that.
Adding some more detail to this for those who may be interested. PO had let me know the truck was on a rigorous fleet maintenance schedule and was adamant about using DELO motor oil every 3-5k and and Transynd transmission fluid every 50k. Also new Napa Gold fuel filter every other oil change. He had replaced front end parts 2 or 3 times including wheel bearings. Rear wheel bearings are apparently still original, and I recently put it on a jack to check to play or resistance but they seemed fine. Water pump and alternator were replaced at least once. Everything else original.

Once I started driving it, again the CP3 needed replaced right away. No lift pump. I worked out of it daily for a while and had some transmission issues come up when it was cold (Range Shift Inhibited). Took it on a long trip and right as I was getting home it started puking transmission fluid from a tranny cooler line. Did the hydraulic line upgrade + fluid/filter and strangely, the transmission issues went away, no matter how cold it is. I am guessing there was a blockage in the old lines, or perhaps the extra flow from the upgrade is just band-aiding the issue for now.

Put new wheels and tires on it and was recommended to replacing steering box at the same time. It did have a lot of play. New box tightened up steering a lot.

Took it on a 2000mi trip this summer and the original hydroboost started leaking really bad. Had to do a reman unit on the road and it is holding up for now. Just a few weeks ago took another 2400mi trip and had some weird brake trouble along the way. Did a hard stop and felt pulsing in the pedal. Limped to the closest parking lot, could hear a lot of noise from the right rear wheel. Backed up and you could hear the interference kind of fall out and clear itself up. Kept driving and around 75mi later, it happened again but completely locked the wheel. Had to have it towed and it ended up being that the parking brake assembly had rusted through and grenaded the rotating assembly. Rotors, calipers, spindle, etc. Again, had to have it repaired in the middle of a trip. They recommended doing the passenger side as well because it was ready to do the same thing. Found a great shop and although it was expensive, the brakes work better than ever and should last another 400k (except consumables)

Front end suspension is showing some wear again. I am thinking about going to SAS with the WFO Concepts kit. I know it will be more robust, but I am hesitant if I will take a hit with ride quality.

2006 Silverado 4x4 CCSB LBZ, 410k, EGR delete, S&B intake, 4" exhaust
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I've got a "log" of all the repairs and such done to mine over the years. Bought the truck on 3/23/02 so it will be 18 years old in about 2 months. The log is about 3 pages and I've posted it on here a couple of times. A lot of the stuff I've done over the past 3-4 years was just trying to replace all the ~18 year old rubber parts. Still have one side of the leaf spring bushings to do. They are a BITCH to replace and after doing the driver's side close to a year ago, I got lazy and still haven't done the other side yet.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 410,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Garage
Does anyone know if this guy is here on the forum? I haven't watched the video's that are in the article, but still a pretty neat feat this guy has achieved!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...sierra-trucks/

2016 - Silverado 2500 HD - Double Cab w/ Cab Lights

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/thefickler
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFickler View Post
Does anyone know if this guy is here on the forum? I haven't watched the video's that are in the article, but still a pretty neat feat this guy has achieved!

Post #22
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythkd1 View Post
Brother Brook Smith for the win. Pretty safe bet, I'd say.

This guy and his equipment are pretty amazing. I do the same thing he does and I'd sure like to know how to get that kind of fuel mileage. I've been making the argument to some of my buddies lately for going back to a gas engine. Most of us are in the 15+/- mpg range.

Anyway, not trying to steal his thunder or hijack this thread.

You go brother!
I own an '08 gasser std cab and an '08 LMM ext cab, both WT service bodies. The LMM is about 1500 lbs heavier yet gets better mileage and will leave the gasser in the dust. The gasser has also had the rear end rebuilt and the transfer case replaced. There's no way in hell I'd go back to gas. I've always regretted buying it in the first place.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 PM

i have a '04 2500 Sierra with 256 on the clock, add ~ 25 k for the 18 months I ran witb a replacement cluster while GM was deciding to recall for instrument failures. Water pump at 150, injector wiring harness twice at 100 and 200. Pulling a '76 Airstream to Oregon from Louisiana 3 times, going again this year. Allison tranny gave it up in Denver in 2016 at 225k. Stock tires and rims, I'll keep it a while longer.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM

Garage
Don’t know if people posted this, but I thought it was amazing https://youtu.be/v8SNMebcb5Q

2004 LLY Duramax.
Silverado Crew Cab LT
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Ascent View Post
Donít know if people posted this, but I thought it was amazing https://youtu.be/v8SNMebcb5Q
On page 2 & 3...
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFickler View Post

Post #22
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Ascent View Post
Don’t know if people posted this, but I thought it was amazing https://youtu.be/v8SNMebcb5Q
On page 2 & 3...

Whoops.

2004 LLY Duramax.
Silverado Crew Cab LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode