Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your Home/Property today?

837K views 10K replies 318 participants last post by  22DMaxJD 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

following the same format as crazycrew's thread titled "what did you do to your Sierra/Silvy today", i thought it would be cool to have one for your residence, shop, garage, land, etc etc etc

:neener

#1,727 ·
Finished building a retaining wall at the new house. 3 nights of that and sick of it. But the end result is worth it!
Property House Transport Wall Home
Property House Home Land lot Wall

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 830king and M.A.M.
#1,728 ·
#1,731 ·
Trimmed a tree on the corner of the lot, drivers should be able to see better and you can walk down the sidewalk without being molested by branches. Also dug down 6" of a section of grass/bare dirt and put some weed n seed in and turned it up good while wetting and then seeded it. Gotta run the mower over the yard again to get some grass clippings to lay on it.

#1,732 ·
Played in the attic mid-day to re-set a bathroom ventilation fan. Previously mounted too high so the cover against the ceiling was just hanging down. Of course a rigid AC duct was laying across it in the attic so it was alot like working on the truck. While standing on 2 x 4's.

Went outside later and worked on the septic tank. Cleaned the discharge filter, purged the distribution field lines to check flow, cleaned some big filter thingy in the recirculation tank, pull the recirc pump and cleaned it off, removed and cleaned pvc spray grid in secondary tank. That was a couple of hours of work and very entertaining.

Cut a couple of acres of grass in the front yard with the ztr.

Got the tractor and loader and moved some dirt to fill in several stump holes from trees that were cut 2 years ago.

Overall, a fairly productive day.

#1,735 ·
Did some yard work & cleaned out another shelf in the garage.

#1,736 ·
I opened the garage door today and pulled the 84 Eldoraldo Biarritz inside after driving it a few miles after it was unloaded. It floated down the road.

I spent a while checking out the 4100 engine in it. I vaguely remember GM going from the 350 I think it was to the 4100 around 1979. I had a 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham and I want to say it had a 307. I remember test driving a Olds Cierra back then with the diesel engine. Those didn't go over to well with buyers. As I recall you could hear the engine inside the car.

Attachments

#1,737 ·
Hey Hook 'Em and other Texas fans.

This marble tile is on the floor in my bathroom. Look familiar?

How was that made millions of years ago, mined, slabbed and cut into a tile to show that image? Weird huh?

Ok, thought you might like it.

Got the old water heater down out of attic yesterday. Wrapped a small ratchet strap from top to bottom and used it as a handle to lower it down attic stairs to my 19 year old. He then bear hugged it and carried it outside. Ahh, youth. Big youth.

Going to Home Depot now for supplies to update my new water heater pan and pop-off valve drain lines in my rental house. Builder had BOTH reduced down to share one (1) 20 ft long, half inch diameter drainline to outside. Sure, like that would work.

Going to be fun working in the attic today in Alabama.

I guess we will start pulling down old droopy ceiling sheetrock in the bath and hallway and put up new tomorrow.

I want to also get it listed for sale today. Tired of making 2nd house payment with no tenant in there.

Back to work.

Attachments

#1,738 · (Edited)
I have a Geology degree. Marble is recrystallized carbonate minerals. Usually dolomite or limestone subject to metamorphism aka heat, pressure, change of mineral arrangement.

That is why you see old cemetery headstones that look like they are dissolving because they are due to the breakdown of the crystal structures.

What I saw was cool way back in the early 1990's was preserved palm leaves in limestone at the Black Hills Institute of Geological Research. Back then I think they were just the Black Hills Paleontology group. They had a store that they would sell you things like that. I thought that would look cool in an entry way or bathroom shower. This thing must have been seven feet high and about 4 or 5 feet wide slab of limestone.

That is where the Sue Dinosaur at the Chicago Field Museum originated from. The year before I went out to South Dakota for a summer Geology field camp to do mapping projects the class that went out they were at the place and the FBI pulled up with a semi and they loaded up the T-Rex.

That paleontology group pissed off Geology academia because they would sell fossils they found. They would sell to you, museums, etc. to support themselves. Academia wanted fossils preserved and researched. So the story went because Sue Hendrickson found the T-Rex on an Indian reservation it wasn't their property so the government seized it and took it.

The year I went out there we stopped there and they took us in the back where they were cleaning up fossils. On one table laid a head of a T-Rex. It was awesome to see something like that close up.

I bought my mother a beautiful necklace made of pink quartz that looked like pearls in their store.

The SW corner of South Dakota is rich in Geology and a lot to see. Our instructors took us to places and showed us things you could hardly believe. One day we drove way out into the Badlands and stopped and they showed us the surface of the ground and told us that was remnants of volcano ash. Yet no where can you find them. I still remember the morning we went out to do a mapping project at Buffalo WY out on a ranch west of Buffalo. It had snowed over night in the higher elevations. Looking off to the west you could see the Big Horn Mts. with snow on them and the sun shining on it. I could kick myself a 1,000 times over for not taking a camera with me. All I have are memories and a Geology note book with drawings in it. I still get it out at times and look at it and remember where we were at and what I saw.

#1,739 · (Edited)
What fascinated me about Geology was we would see formations and the age of those formations such as millions of years to form. Our life span is a blip on the Geology scale of earth's history.

I can only remember one place that we stopped at in the Black Hills of SD and saw marble formations. It was along a roadside as I recall. One metamorphic zone we stopped at made up of schist had garnets in it. I still have a few around here about the size of a quarter. My roommate got lucky and found one about the size of a chicken egg. Another place we went to on our day off from mapping was a place with tourmaline. I found a few nice sized tourmaline crystals.

#1,741 ·
New dishwasher came in today. Still waiting on my power cord, water line & drain tube.

#1,742 ·
Bought $141.00 of pipe and fittings to get drain pan and pressure release valve drain pipes up to code in my rental house that I am selling. 40 ft of 3/4 and 40 ft of 1 inch cpvc, handful of elbows and connectors and cpvc glue. A water heater line leaked a couple of weeks ago ruining some ceilings and carpet. I going to install new water heater and make the drain lines right.

Builder Idiots had both lines sharing a half inch copper line to the outside. If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, when will you have time to do it right the 2nd time?

I am going to try to get there by daylight in the morning before it gets 95 degrees outside. If I finish, I get to go bush hog to catch the full effects of the heat.

I hope I don't step thru the ceiling!

#1,743 ·
In new dishwasher installed & replacement security cameras. Lets see how long these new cameras last.

#1,746 ·
Installed a new set of bathroom faucets.

#1,749 ·
Got new shoes for my Brush Blazer. I have swapped tracks and re-installed thrown ones. It is still a pain to get it done by myself.

Attachments

#1,750 ·
After replacing the bad track this morning. I spent 5 hours bush hogging on the tractor today for a customer. 3 hours was like this. I was going 3 mph and I could not get away from it. I looked like Pigpen going across there. I blew out the radiator every hour. My Wolfsnout sure worked well to keep dust out of my nose.

Attachments

#1,753 ·
Bought a new door to replace the crappy on the back of the house, paint for the front door and we washed, dryed and painted some chairs we got off facebook. 4 chairs, the holder, and cover for $30. Add $37 of spray paint and not a bad little project for the wife and she is happy with it so that means me to

Reactions: rparlee
#1,756 ·
After taking a 2wk break from house & back yard remodels, we are back at it doing final touch up / finishing touches work.

Tonight will be:
-mounting new brackets to dishwasher to hold it to cabinetry since the old way, it mounted to wood counter tops, and now we have quartz.
-plumbing new sink & installing faucet in master bath
-installing hot water dispenser in kitchen
-installing cover plate/access panel on wall under sink to cover exposed plumbing when we had to cut it all open to deal with broken lines.
-start taking measurements for where I'll be opening up the wall in the closet under our stairwell, to create a network closet, where I'll have my coax feed for Comcast TV/internet, and CAT 5e network cables come into /out of. Prob won't start this project for a couple weeks, but some basic measurements will help as I draw it all out on paper first to hopefully make it easier the day I do it.

Still to do:
-paint cabinets & install new hardware
-putty baseboard nail holes and caulk to wall
-wire 5.1 surround sound system in wall and hang speakers (really should've had done this when we had the sheet rock guy out but it wasn't on my radar at the time)
-weed/spray back yard - its exploded with weeds back there in the past couple of weeks.
-bring in bark dust