What did you do to your Home/Property today? - Page 719 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

4639Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #7181 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:35 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Cut 100# of potatoes today preparing for planting.
Idaho has an exclusive franchise on potatoes. You are hereby notified that if you put those in the ground you will be in violation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7182 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:45 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I have to say that I'm not in favor of beating kids. Not for schools, students or parents. If we wouldn't allow it for adults it shouldn't be allowable for kids. I also would like to say that everyone should be held accountable for their actions. I'd fix up the time out room, video it and hold any kid who damaged it responsible. If their parents refused to handle it the kid would be expelled.

A tantrum is never acceptable and vandalism is never justifiable.
post #7183 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I have to say that I'm not in favor of beating kids. Not for schools, students or parents. If we wouldn't allow it for adults it shouldn't be allowable for kids.

I fully disagree. Iím relatively young (34) compared to some of our esteemed members, but the way I was raised I had two choices. Choice A was be a well behaved, respectful, polite kid that didnít get into or cause any trouble. Choice B was get my ass whooped off. I wasnít abused by any means but I damn sure knew there were consequences to undesirable behavior. I see people my age on a daily basis that could stand a good thick leather belt taken to their ass.

My wifeís idiot niece has a 5 year old son. She believes in the Dr Phil ideology of not spanking and being more of a friend than a parent and blah blah blah. He acts like a wild animal except when he comes to our house....she canít figure out why heís so well behaved around my wife and I .

16í C.C. LT. Since buying it tinted the windows, full floor Weather Techs, factory clone side steps, Boost tow mirrors, and cranked the front end up a little to clear 275/75r17s. Thatís all sheís getting for now, got too much warranty left to delete it...yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7184 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabiggertrailer16 View Post
I see people my age on a daily basis that could stand a good thick leather belt taken to their ass.
And what would happen if you did? You'd go to jail. I agree that lots of people need to get their act together, both adults and kids. I just don't believe in beating them into submission.

One day my son hit his brother with his new toy gun. We took it out to the shop, put it in the vise and turned the crank until it was trash and then threw it away. He learned more from that than from any beating.

Belts are the resort of those who can't figure out how to handle things otherwise. I absolutely believe in punishment for inappropriate behavior. Talk is cheap and kids figure that out really quickly. Actions are necessary or there is no discipline.

We all owe the society that makes our life possible some respect. Free spirit is just another term for lack of self control. It is a crime for parents to not teach their children self control. It is also wrong to beat them.

I'm not in favor of the government stepping into the situation though, unless it gets out of hand. Parents need self control too.
post #7185 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
After being put through the ringer by my ex wife I know the law here.
She does the let's buy them everything, never say no etc and when I was fighting for custody and didn't get to see them for months their behaviour got so bad she reckoned she couldn't take them out in public and my oldest one was violent.
So when I got them back I had to make them eat vegetables because she fed them a diet of Macdonalds, get their behaviour in line and teach them manners and respect.
The punishment fits the crime, one hit my fiance so I smacked him on the bottom, he told my ex and the police came to arrest me.
Luckily I work for a lot of police officers and they helped me out with the law and it was under the parenting act and fair and reasonable under the circumstances.
The thing is I've never had to do or say anything again, that was the last problem I had and I only have to threaten a snack at the worst possible behaviour and that's the end of it.
So i agree with @Ineedabiggertrailer16, the problem we have is we have taught people that it's ok to have no respect, no manners, to step on anyone to get what you want.
It really grinds my gears as most people in Tas would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it but the influx of new people and ideology has changed that.
The crap adults breed even worse children and the cycle gets worse.
I knew if I put a foot out of line I'd get the boot in the ass or something similar and I thought, gee maybe I shouldn't be a dickhead and I wouldn't get it.
That has worked with my kids as well
Even the way my dad taught me the value of money and how it correlates to work is also working perfectly.
They are 10 and 11 now and I wouldn't change a thing.
My ex wife is still a moron though but it's just now she thinks that the change in them is because of her 'parenting' all of a sudden working.
My brother didn't grow up with the same discipline I did and went off the rails.
JimmyD likes this.

RHD 2013 2500HD Silverado WT Regular Cab
Deleted, FASS 150, Moonshine by Tony, Ally Tray, 20in Dicks, All Terrains, LEDs, Lowered and pissing off local drivers daily due to my size

Last edited by harnold; 04-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.
post #7186 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
And what would happen if you did? You'd go to jail. I agree that lots of people need to get their act together, both adults and kids. I just don't believe in beating them into submission.

One day my son hit his brother with his new toy gun. We took it out to the shop, put it in the vise and turned the crank until it was trash and then threw it away. He learned more from that than from any beating.

Belts are the resort of those who can't figure out how to handle things otherwise. I absolutely believe in punishment for inappropriate behavior. Talk is cheap and kids figure that out really quickly. Actions are necessary or there is no discipline.

We all owe the society that makes our life possible some respect. Free spirit is just another term for lack of self control. It is a crime for parents to not teach their children self control. It is also wrong to beat them.

I'm not in favor of the government stepping into the situation though, unless it gets out of hand. Parents need self control too.
I didnít figure you for the pansy Dr Phil ďletís talk about our feelings and hug it outĒ type

I donít believe In BEATING a child either. Beating is abuse, whipping a kids ass for misbehaving is not beating nor abuse. That is however where the problem comes into play. Our current snowflake hippie all we need is Love society has made discipline and child abuse one and the same. My nephew I mentioned in my last post is being raised by two morons that donít discipline him. They TELL him heís being a bad boy, to which the kid pays absolutely zero attention. We keep telling them they better get him under control now because the older he gets the harder it will be, but they continue to let him act like a wild animal. We babysit him all the time and about two years ago, when he first started getting out of hand he decided to go into the kitchen and start jerking drawers open. I told him to stop. He jerked another drawer. I smacked his hand, not super hard, not trying to break it, but hard enough to get his attention and let him know that when I said stop I meant it. The look on this kids face was like his whole world came crashing down. All of a sudden he couldnít do whatever the hell he wanted to do anymore, all of a sudden his bad behavior actually had consequences. He scrunched his face up and started to scream. I told him if he screamed heíd get it again. He didnít scream. I told him to go play in the living room and do not be back in the kitchen unless we told him to. To this day he wonít step foot in our kitchen unless told by an adult, heís polite, he says please and thank you, he is a very well behaved child and all it took was literally one smack of his hand. His parents canít figure it out.
mray and harnold like this.

16í C.C. LT. Since buying it tinted the windows, full floor Weather Techs, factory clone side steps, Boost tow mirrors, and cranked the front end up a little to clear 275/75r17s. Thatís all sheís getting for now, got too much warranty left to delete it...yet.
post #7187 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:

One day my son hit his brother with his new toy gun. We took it out to the shop, put it in the vise and turned the crank until it was trash and then threw it away.
Your kid commits a violent crime and instead of punishing the criminal you blame, seize, and destroy the gun....interesting
Hook'em_Horns! likes this.

post #7188 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

More wall prep last night

Joe
2008 CCLB LMM
13.39 @ 99.44 W/ 1.76 60í
456 HP 925 TQ

2003 RCLB LB7 stock but not for long
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
post #7189 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
My two brothers, four sisters, and myself were all brought up knowing that a plastic coat hanger was waiting for us if we disrespected, or didnít listen to our parents the first time they said something. We all turned out fine.

Two fundamental issues with child rearing today. The first one is a relationship between the parent and child. It doesnít matter if itís a spanking or any other type of discipline, it wonít work unless you have a relationship with your child. Your child has to know that you love them and care about them, even when you discipline them.

Second one is controlling your feelings/emotions/anger. Anybody with children know they try you out at times. Disciplining a child out of anger results in rebellion. Thatís when a spanking turns into a beating or a verbal lesson turns into verbal abuse.

Any type of discipline works as long as you hold true to your word.
If you tell your child there will be consequences, there better be consequences if they donít listen. Your credibility goes straight out the door if there arenít.

What has changed in the last 50 years, the adults or the children?

I have zero issue with spanking your children, nor do I have an issue with not spanking if disciplined properly otherwise.

(Rant off)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9/26/17 80k miles with no issues...

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--

Engine rebuilt @ 170,000 miles due to hole in cylinder #7
First start on 5/13/16

8/29/17 REBUILD 2.0 @ 295k miles

255k miles on 4/1/17, and goin' strong...

S&B Intake, 3" MBRP downpipe, Flo-Pro 5" downpipe back exhaust/no muffler, PPEI tuned no longer, MOONSHINE tuned by Tony @ RidgeRunner, Airdog lift pump...

Monitoring via CTS2

Engine
Fingers Oval Bowl pistons @ 17.5:1 .040 over
Carrillo rods
chromoly pushrods
SoCal Girdle
ATI Super-Damper
ARP main and head studs
Keyed crank and cam
SDP CP3 coversion w/ Sportsman pump

Suspension
305/55/20 MT Baja ATZ P3s on stock 20's...
Kryptonite tie rods/centerlink

BUILD THREAD
post #7190 of 8122 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabiggertrailer16 View Post
Your kid commits a violent crime and instead of punishing the criminal you blame, seize, and destroy the gun....interesting
When I was on a school board this little girl brought a cap gun to school. I don't recall what grade she was in. Maybe 3rd or 4th. Bringing anything to school that even resembles a gun today according to the board policy was a suspension which I disagreed with. I thought she should have not gotten a suspension but rather made to come to school and sit in the library and work on her school work. With a 3 day suspension she knew she could do it again and spend time at home playing. Other board members disagreed.

Another time this freshman boy who wasn't very tall was being bullied by some of the football players. One day during lunch one of them spit in his food. He hauls off and sucker punches one guy. He'd had enough teasing. Of course he was the one who got suspended which I disagreed with. This was about the time me and the teachers union conflict of interest began. The board asked if any of them could sit in the lunch room and eat. When I went to h.s. the teachers and principal always ate in the lunch room with students. Well that wasn't happening. They wanted extra pay.

Then OMG after that when we settled the teachers union contract I voiced my opinion at a board meeting. The local radio station saw that in the board minutes and they phoned me for an interview to be aired. As I recall no one called in during the radio talk show supporting the union. Teachers union contract negotiation now there is an experience. It was interesting. They started out battling for increased benefits and pay for the support staff (janitors, cooks, etc.) but by the end they had thrown them under the bus and the top teachers (yrs of being a teacher) got the most. I was of the opinion hell lets just fire them all and bring in new teachers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode