What did you do to your Home/Property today? - Page 732 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

4651Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #7311 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Thatís actually not a bad idea. My garden sits in the low spot on my property and holds a lot of moisture, causing rot problems. Pipe planters would make it a lot easier to control the moisture in the soil.

16í C.C. LT. Since buying it tinted the windows, full floor Weather Techs, factory clone side steps, Boost tow mirrors, and cranked the front end up a little to clear 275/75r17s. Thatís all sheís getting for now, got too much warranty left to delete it...yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7312 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I think anything along the lines of a raised bed is the way to go. It's what I'm doing, in various ways.

Along with no tilling practices. Tilling destroys the microbes and the worms, and pulverizes the soil into sand....where it compacts and causes more drain issues. Minimal turning with a garden fork, and garden rake. (I turn the chickens loose on it)

Add another layer of compost on top each year, building years of layers and healthy microbial action which has great aeration and drought tolerance....and controlling the possible drown factor from too much.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 04-17-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #7313 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
Took my buddy out for a drive in the Duramax. He always likes to see what this Duramax business is about. I had to go pick up the main floor tile for the house so I had him jump in the bed like a red headed step child. He enjoyed the drive...glad itís a work truck as the slober matted the paint finish. On the way home, almost lost it pulling at 50 mph...Iím sure there was way more tongue weight than the truck cared to pull and I think I have a bad tire on the trailer. I did make it home. Then enjoyed a room temperature beverage.
Attached Images

harnold likes this.

The.Crawler
72 Blazer Rocks 47s
DD.TOW.RIG

06 LBZ DA4x4 CCSB 285s Gone
08 LMM DA4x4 CCSB 295s Gone
07 LMM DA2WD SCLB 245s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7314 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Gettin' excited about this year's 'mator crop;
I can still remember the tomatoes my grandparents on my dad's side grew. They lived way out in the timber in KY with no running water. They rarely went to the grocery store for anything. They always had a huge garden.

My grandmother would put the tomatoes into boiling water then cold water and peel and slice them. She had them I think for all 3 meals as I recall. She would also fry green tomatoes.

They had 2 big chest freezers in the kitchen. They grew their own chickens and they ended up in the freezer. She had a back porch or room off of the kitchen where the water well was at. Shelves in the room were full of canned things. My grandfather would drop the bucket into the well and pull the water up and it was icy cold. There was always a bucket of water in the kitchen with a block of ice in it.

I was down there about 15 years ago walking around with an uncle and we came across wild plums. He said my grandmother would pick those to make jam out of. Oh man she would make these fried apple pies in a big iron frying pan. She would fry corn in a pan and I don't know what all she put into it but OMG was it ever good.

My grandfather would tell stories and we'd sit and listen to him. Pretty soon he'd get up and leave and wouldn't come back until later in the day. I suppose out walking around the timber. He always wore these gum rubber boots. I don't think I ever seen the man in a pair of dress shoes until the day he died at the funeral home. He'd also sit and watch the "Lone Ranger" on TV too.

My grandmother would quilt for hours hand sewing them. We still have few but most of what she had was lost in a house fire.
mray likes this.
post #7315 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:04 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I can still remember the tomatoes my grandparents on my dad's side grew. They lived way out in the timber in KY with no running water. They rarely went to the grocery store for anything. They always had a huge garden.

My grandmother would put the tomatoes into boiling water then cold water and peel and slice them. She had them I think for all 3 meals as I recall. She would also fry green tomatoes.

They had 2 big chest freezers in the kitchen. They grew their own chickens and they ended up in the freezer. She had a back porch or room off of the kitchen where the water well was at. Shelves in the room were full of canned things. My grandfather would drop the bucket into the well and pull the water up and it was icy cold. There was always a bucket of water in the kitchen with a block of ice in it.

I was down there about 15 years ago walking around with an uncle and we came across wild plums. He said my grandmother would pick those to make jam out of. Oh man she would make these fried apple pies in a big iron frying pan. She would fry corn in a pan and I don't know what all she put into it but OMG was it ever good.

My grandfather would tell stories and we'd sit and listen to him. Pretty soon he'd get up and leave and wouldn't come back until later in the day. I suppose out walking around the timber. He always wore these gum rubber boots. I don't think I ever seen the man in a pair of dress shoes until the day he died at the funeral home. He'd also sit and watch the "Lone Ranger" on TV too.

My grandmother would quilt for hours hand sewing them. We still have few but most of what she had was lost in a house fire.

I just finished eating and my mouth is watering anyway.

Around our house we have the legend of the blue butter. When I was a preteen my first commercial job was washing dishes at a restaurant. They had a big Hobart mixer there that they made whipped butter in. They would just throw in about 5 lbs of butter, a couple of cups of water and turn it on. After about half an hour the butter would be light and fluffy even though it was freezing cold. The trouble is it would be white. So they put in a bunch of food coloring to make it yellow again.

Years later my kids were complaining about how hard it is to spread cold butter on their bread so I decided to show them how to make whipped butter. When it came time to add the food coloring we decided it would be fun to make it something other than yellow. We settled on blue. Big mistake.

We all tried it but it just wasn't right. Smearing blue onto your toast just isn't correct. The blue butter sat in the fridge for a long time until it was thrown out.

Maybe purple, yellow, orange, black and other colored tomatoes would taste just fine but we all have certain expectations and I expect tomatoes to be red. My daughter grows a lot of different varieties, like maybe 50. Mostly they are open pollinated legacy varieties. The non-red ones just don't sit right with me.

There can be no doubt though that what they sell in stores are not really tomatoes because they don't taste anything like what comes from the garden.
post #7316 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
You guys keep writing posts this long they will have to update the amount of posts per page 😂

RHD 2013 2500HD Silverado WT Regular Cab
Deleted, FASS 150, Moonshine by Tony, Ally Tray, 20in Dicks, All Terrains, LEDs, Lowered and pissing off local drivers daily due to my size
post #7317 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post

I think the Vast Majority of us remember the "Old Folks" in our young lives, when we were too foolish (at least I was) to pay better attention.

Their stories, their lives, their ways and the things and all they taught us!

I think Id give all I own and the rest of the days I have left on Earth, for just a single day with them all. And I swear Id be getting the better of that bargain!
1TRIKHD, Cameo and harnold like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7318 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I just finished eating and my mouth is watering anyway.

Around our house we have the legend of the blue butter. When I was a preteen my first commercial job was washing dishes at a restaurant. They had a big Hobart mixer there that they made whipped butter in. They would just throw in about 5 lbs of butter, a couple of cups of water and turn it on. After about half an hour the butter would be light and fluffy even though it was freezing cold. The trouble is it would be white. So they put in a bunch of food coloring to make it yellow again.

Years later my kids were complaining about how hard it is to spread cold butter on their bread so I decided to show them how to make whipped butter. When it came time to add the food coloring we decided it would be fun to make it something other than yellow. We settled on blue. Big mistake.

We all tried it but it just wasn't right. Smearing blue onto your toast just isn't correct. The blue butter sat in the fridge for a long time until it was thrown out.

Maybe purple, yellow, orange, black and other colored tomatoes would taste just fine but we all have certain expectations and I expect tomatoes to be red. My daughter grows a lot of different varieties, like maybe 50. Mostly they are open pollinated legacy varieties. The non-red ones just don't sit right with me.

There can be no doubt though that what they sell in stores are not really tomatoes because they don't taste anything like what comes from the garden.
I think the former Sheriff of Maricopa County, AZ (Joe Arpaio) had the right idea when he had the Bologna and eggs dyed Green at meal times, to make it less appealing to the inmates.

The wrong color is a Huge Turn Off as far as food goes!

Although, My Ex wife and her mother used to make a Banana Whipped cream cake for every one's birthday. Bananas and whipped cream between layers and whipped cream dyed any color you want on the 9outside.

Blue, pink or even purple tasted as good as white or any other color!
mizterwizard likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7319 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:01 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
I expect tomatoes to be red
Cut open the Black Krim....and they're deep red inside.
If ya pick 'em soon enough.
harnold likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7320 of 8131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:08 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Rewound the pull start spring in the neighbours kids tiny 4 wheel motorbike 3 times and had enough.
Went and cut some more wood, they'd put a couple of sneaky blue gum logs on the bottom and they took some splitting, back and shoulders is feeling it tonight 😬

RHD 2013 2500HD Silverado WT Regular Cab
Deleted, FASS 150, Moonshine by Tony, Ally Tray, 20in Dicks, All Terrains, LEDs, Lowered and pissing off local drivers daily due to my size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode