rough country 3.5" suspension lift kit? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

rough country 3.5" suspension lift kit?

Anyone running this lift instead of the torsion key leveling kits. Wondering how the ride was and if its worth it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Garage
Looks like its a glorified Leveling Kit with different upper control arms. I don't have any experience with them, but it will still negatively effect your ride. It doesn't appear to include a differential spacer so your CV angles will be BAD (tie rods will also be at an angle).

Honestly, the best way to level the new trucks, which I'm assuming you have, (fill out your signature with your truck's info, it helps us help you) would be lowering shackles in the rear. Ride isn't effected, just the amount of rake is.

But if height is what you are after, with these trucks its either deal with the bad ride from cranking the torsion bars, or properly lift it...

Brandon "Make power, not smoke."
2017 LWN CCSB Z71
All stock as long as the warranty is on it. (But the delete kit has already been ordered..)

2007 LBZ CCSB 4x4 - Sold 297+k miles of grins.
Performance: EFI Live by Idaho Rob, CTS2 with EGT, S&B Dry CAI, 3" MBRP DP, MBRP 5" XP Series, FASS 150
Exterior: Iron Cross Front, Fab Fours Rear, Keystone Hood, 30" Totron Lightbar
Suspension: Cranked to clear 285s on painted PYOs, Skyjacker 1.5" lift block, Bilstein 5100s, Rough Country Tie-Rod Sleeves, Longhorn Trac Bars
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Most Known Unknown

If it's anything like the Fabtech 4", pass and do drop shackles or lift it with a true [email protected] drop kit, or leave it alone

that's what's best for the truck
Brobocop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Just want to be able to fit some 33" tires under it without rubbing and doing a ton of trimming
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Garage
Again.. We can't really suggest anything if we don't know the specifics of your truck man.. Different years require a different things to clear 33s....

Wheels (OEM or aftermarket, offset, diameter, WIDTH), tire specifics (285s can be a 33 but are an inch thinner than 33x12.5s)... All important info.

2017 LWN CCSB Z71
All stock as long as the warranty is on it. (But the delete kit has already been ordered..)

Performance: EFI Live by Idaho Rob, CTS2 with EGT, S&B Dry CAI, 3" MBRP DP, MBRP 5" XP Series, FASS 150
Suspension: Cranked to clear 285s on painted PYOs, Skyjacker 1.5" lift block, Bilstein 5100s, Rough Country Tie-Rod Sleeves, Longhorn Trac Bars
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Shawzey22

I think you should call RC and rely on the advice of the experts or those who've actually used the kit over the opinions of those who post up comments on topics they may not be fully qualified to be commenting on.

I have the kit installed on my 2016 2500 HD Z71 LTZ and I'm perfectly happy that its accomplished my goals of a close to level truck that rides better then stock that I could easily fit 35's under. My front was raised 3.5" and the rear was raised 1.5" which is fine for a truck that is used mostly for on road use 98% of the time. Getting rid of those stock Rancho shocks was a big improvement, also dropping my tire air pressures down to 60 lbs all 4 corners for everyday driving (when not towing) helped a bunch too.

The kit includes: UCA's, re-indexed keys, differential drop spacers, 2.0 nitrogen shocks. 1.5" rear spacer blocks, new U bolts,etc.

3.5in Suspension Lift Kit for 11-17 Chevy / GMC 2500HD Pickups | Rough Country Suspension Systems®
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Garage
rough country 3.5" suspension lift kit?

I've been driving a truck with cranked torsion bars for 4 years. I'd like to think I'm qualified to speak on a torsion "lift" kit.

I'm simple letting him know that there is a right way and a wrong way to lift our trucks, and torsion lifts are the wrong way. Yes, RC will know about their kit, but they're also going to be pushing to sell it.

2017 LWN CCSB Z71

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 PM
unknown known most

You do know 35's will fit on factory wheels at factory height with no issue right? I have them on my truck. No sense in killing the front end with a leveling kit. Do a lift kit and do it right so you won't have issues down the road, or do drop shackles like Jeff said. Let me know if I can help you with anything!
jwcgmc1985, Brobocop and shell_guy like this.

2015.5 Denali 2500 on 35's at factory height...sold
2008 lmm......sold
2003 gmc RCSB with 6.0 and 4L80 for now...
2000 Camaro ss with 5.3 and s480 billet wheel...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 AM

You do know that RC offers "full suspension lifts" too for folks who choose to go that way and can explain the pro's and con's of each to a prospective buyer.

Heck for that matter all the known brands offer both torsion key based leveling kits and full suspension lifts and a buyer needs to choose what will meet their needs, situations can and will differ.

If leveling kits were so useless or harmful as some folks here would like everyone to believe then certainly folks would stop selling them or be risking serious damage to their otherwise sterling reputations. In fact the factory wouldn't build in the stock adjustability if it was going to allow for a serious increase in warranty claims. The issues and horror stories will arise when folks exceed the limitations of the adjustments they are making whether it be leveling or lifting.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

The truck is a 2011 all stock. I was planning on putting some 33x2.5x20 tires on the stock oem 5 spoke rims. (maybe buy some fuel mavericks in the future)... I put this thread up cause I figured that someone out there had to give this "lift" leveling kit a shot. If its not worth the money or not a better ride then just putting new torsion keys in then I will probably just settle for the more stiff ride and just put the torsion keys in. I agree talking to rough country will probably just end in them pushing the lift on me and me buying it haha

2002 LB7 - 6" Lift, 37" tires, 20" dick cepek rims, dual 6" stacks , bully dog power pup crazy larry tuner, fass 150, s&b intake, intake horn, SOLD

2001 LB7 - Leveled on 33" tires. Stock rims, PPE boost increase valve, air dog 100, 5" straight turbo back, edge cts, s&b cold air, intake horn, SOLD

2011 lml
- BONE STOCK SO FAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode