Dmax got some love yesterday - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Dmax got some love yesterday

Well, being an 11 year old truck, it was time to give the Dmax a little love. Got myself a couple early Birthday presents.

-Backlfip F1 Tonneau Cover (this isn't new as of this week, but installed recently. I love it BTW)
-Black Chevy Bezel up front to match new wheels
-Full exterior detail to make that custom paint job pop
-20x9 Ultra Hunter 203 wheels, -12 offset, wrapped in Toyo Open Country AT2's 295/55/20 (saw @bizkit642 post these up on his rig and fell in love with them, so props to him)
-LED Concepts Colormorph Halo kit - I really just wanted a halo kit that did white for DLR's but didn't find anything on the market when searching for that so pulled the trigger on these. Its neat that they can do other colors etc, but the install was WAY more challenging than the company led it on to be, and the whole project ended up costing me more than I was willing to pay had I known the final cost up front. Overall I'm happy with the look, but wouldn't do it again primarily due to cost)

OK enough talk...this thread is useless without pictures

This top pic is my favorite. Moon out throws enough light to really make the paint job fade dramatic

Here was my truck before:
77cruiser likes this.

Bought 6/16/11: 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Diesel (LBZ), CCSB, Bose system, leather. Southern Comfort Conversions edition. Includes: Custom faded two tone paint job, leveling kit, 18" chrome wheels, aftermarket interior trim, billet grille, remote start, wheel to wheel steps, and Line X installed. I upgraded to: Cognito UCA kit w/ shock extenders and Bilstien 5100's, Tie rod sleeves, 300W Rockford Fosgate Amp & 2 JL 8" subs behind rear seat, Tinted front windows to match, BakFlip F1 Tonneau cover, Reese 15k 5th wheel hitch, Prodigy brake controller, Toyo AT2's 295/55/R20 w/ Ultra 203 Hunter 20x9, -12, LED Concepts Colormorph Halo kit upper & lower.

Last edited by West1134; 08-22-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Looks awesome!!! I like that color a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
West1134 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCossey7 View Post
Looks awesome!!! I like that color a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Yeah the guys at Les Schwab yesterday asked me where I had just got the custom paint job done at, as it looked awesome! I laughed and said "the factory about 11 yrs ago..." The detail shop did a fantastic job making it look new again, and Southern Comfort Conversions did a really nice subtle paint fade. I get tons of compliments as most people don't even notice it at first. I've seen some of the other paint fades Southern Comforts offers, and I'd never buy them, but this one was very low-key in my eyes. Appreciate the compliment, I'm fully in love with my truck again haha.

Bought 6/16/11: 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Diesel (LBZ), CCSB, Bose system, leather. Southern Comfort Conversions edition. Includes: Custom faded two tone paint job, leveling kit, 18" chrome wheels, aftermarket interior trim, billet grille, remote start, wheel to wheel steps, and Line X installed. I upgraded to: Cognito UCA kit w/ shock extenders and Bilstien 5100's, Tie rod sleeves, 300W Rockford Fosgate Amp & 2 JL 8" subs behind rear seat, Tinted front windows to match, BakFlip F1 Tonneau cover, Reese 15k 5th wheel hitch, Prodigy brake controller, Toyo AT2's 295/55/R20 w/ Ultra 203 Hunter 20x9, -12, LED Concepts Colormorph Halo kit upper & lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 PM

The paint fade is subtle and def makes you do a double take...very nice. Lights look awesome! I want a bed cover like that now. Nice work!
West1134 likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:26 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Very nice.
West1134 likes this.

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Turbo resonator delete plug, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pacer LED cab lights, GM dually light bar under tailgate, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Wilson 2000 CB antenna, Kenwood speakers, GM chrome oval running boards, Bilstein 5100s, Michelin Defender M/S on PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoblake View Post
The paint fade is subtle and def makes you do a double take...very nice. Lights look awesome! I want a bed cover like that now. Nice work!
Thanks! I highly recommend the fit and finish of the Backflip F1. I've only had hit for a month or so now, but seems to be made of high quality components, and I can't tell you how nice it is to have on there. It also fits on there so cleanly that it almost looks like it came with the truck from the factory IMO. The feature that sold me was the ability to fold it up against the back window for nearly full bed access when needed. I've already had a situation where that was needed and it was great not having to remove the cover. I paid about $950 shipped to my house for it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Like the wheels! I sent you a PM on them, curious about the lip and exactly how much they stick out of the fenders if at all. In the picture(s) they look almost flush. Backspacing is 4.5 or 5"?

Thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalg40 View Post
Like the wheels! I sent you a PM on them, curious about the lip and exactly how much they stick out of the fenders if at all. In the picture(s) they look almost flush. Backspacing is 4.5 or 5"?

Thanks
Thanks! Got your PM, but figured I'd post up here in case anyone else wants to know. Its a -12 offest, which equates to what appears to be 4.75" backspacing based on the chart in this article. https://www.discounttire.com/learn/offset-backspace

I'd say there is about a 4" lip on them to the spokes, which gives it the "deep dish" appearance, which is what I was going for. However, they obviously aren't overly wide like some guys are running. The wheels stick just outside the front fenders with my truck being leveled, and just barely outside the rears. I did have to do some trimming (see my how to video) to get them to fit with turning.

After a couple years of running them, I still love them, they've held up well, and only a few minor scratches here and there from where I've taken the truck up in to the mountains snowboarding or old logging roads shooting etc. They still clean up nice though. My only complaint, which isn't much of one, is the center caps...I've lost 3 of them now. With them being plastic, you have to do this balance of not overly tightening them otherwise it snaps the plastic, but too loose and it will eventually back off. I used lock tite after the second one disappeared, but just last week saw I'm missing another one. This time the bolts with lock tite are still there, but the cap snapped off. I really wish they would make these things with metal, or at least metal components where they bolt onto the wheel. Replacing them isn't cheap either (maybe it is now, but when they were brand new it was like $35+ per cap), but luckily my Les Schwab has just ordered and given me replacements since I bought them through them.
Generalg40 likes this.

Last edited by West1134; 10-21-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Great! Thank you for the super fast reply! Now I need to locate a set, seems like they are on back order.
West1134 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll just add (cross post because I'm the OP) I'm selling my custom headlights if anyone is interested. Got my eyes on a new setup. https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/e...hts-halos.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode