What did you do to your Sierra/Silvy today? - Page 4276 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

20061Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #42751 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChevyDMax89
Had the ABS light come on for the first time in the 5 years I've owned the truck. Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just came on while driving down the road. Any ideas on what to look at first? Truck seems to be driving and braking normal.

NAME: JIMMY
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Moto Metal 962 wheels wrapped with 32x11 Toyo Mud Terrains, 2" wheel spacers, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Banks Ram-Air Intake, custom straight pipe exhaust w/5" tip, EGR Delete, FASS 150 lift pump, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, Suncoast Gmax 6 w/1056 converter, Edge Insight moniter, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, 7" Pioneer Double-din, (2) Boss Phantom 12s in custom box, more coming soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42752 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDMax89 View Post
Had the ABS light come on for the first time in the 5 years I've owned the truck. Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just came on while driving down the road. Any ideas on what to look at first? Truck seems to be driving and braking normal.
Check you front hubs for play

LBZ
post #42753 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
Check you front hubs for play
They're both fairly new, within a few years, but I will check. I do have larger, wider wheels/tires but nothin crazy big. When the hubs were bad before I never got the light which is concerning lol. Guess it's hit or miss on if it detects or not?

2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Moto Metal 962 wheels wrapped with 32x11 Toyo Mud Terrains, 2" wheel spacers, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Banks Ram-Air Intake, custom straight pipe exhaust w/5" tip, EGR Delete, FASS 150 lift pump, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, Suncoast Gmax 6 w/1056 converter, Edge Insight moniter, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, 7" Pioneer Double-din, (2) Boss Phantom 12s in custom box, more coming soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42754 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
They're both fairly new, within a few years, but I will check. I do have larger, wider wheels/tires but nothin crazy big. When the hubs were bad before I never got the light which is concerning lol. Guess it's hit or miss on if it detects or not?
Check the easy stuff first. Also check the transfer case speed sensor.

LBZ
post #42755 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:28 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, I know the first thing to look at. Get a freakin scanner and read the code. The whole point of having onboard diagnostics is to tell you what is wrong. Why ask us, who have no idea what is up with your truck, before asking the computer which has already decided what is wrong?
post #42756 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If you do have a scanner make sure it can read the abs module. Most cheap scanners won't read abs.

LBZ
post #42757 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
Yes, I know the first thing to look at. Get a freakin scanner and read the code. The whole point of having onboard diagnostics is to tell you what is wrong. Why ask us, who have no idea what is up with your truck, before asking the computer which has already decided what is wrong?
I was born at night, but not last night sir. CTS or autocal would only pull the recurring glow plug codes and an ECM/TCM error. Now that doesn't tell me too much does it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rparlee likes this.

post #42758 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

After parking in a few wet parking lots today I noticed oil spots where I had driven.
Apparently one of the trans lines started to leak where it rotted through. I don't drive it much lately. It's good I drove it today in the wet and noticed because it's a pretty good leak while running.
Ordered a replacement line and another Bose amp as mine shit the bed months ago. Has an 'open when cold' somewhere in it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mizterwizard likes this.

Chad
04.5 4x4 ~160k miles
DE 4", 5100s, LBZ MP, S&B LBZ air, KoryWillis Go-go Juice, Insight CTS, ADII, 8' Fisher, Highroller Ultimate Idler Arm, Profab delete, XD RareParts tie rods

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that... :taunt
post #42759 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
I was born at night, but not last night sir. CTS or autocal would only pull the recurring glow plug codes and an ECM/TCM error. Now that doesn't tell me too much does it?

No it doesn't and neither would a radar scanner. You need the right scanner to access the right system. Most simple scanners will not read anything but engine and transmission codes and if you are lucky, a little data. What you need is a scanner that can access auxiliary modules like ABS, SRS, BCM, etc. Just about any auto parts store will have a scanner that can do the job. They will read it for you or let you borrow it for a few minutes to read it yourself. They do this in the hope of selling you a part or two so they like to do it.

I would suspect a wheel speed sensor or, depending on your options, perhaps a transmission speed sensor is the problem but that is about a 60% chance. The other 40% is spread among dozens of other parts. Of course I have no guess which wheel speed sensor it would be if it is one at all.

A wheel bearing doesn't have to be detectably worn to cause a speed sensor to have a problem. The sensor is magnetic and counts the bearing balls as they go by. If there is some wear that puts metal shavings on the sensor it will not be able to sense the balls and will give false readings to the various modules. The modules will then set a code.
ChevyDMax89 likes this.
post #42760 of 44160 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:

They will tell you which glow plug is bad, thatís pretty much what any scanner will tell you, as far as replacing the ones thatís bad, thatís up to you to do the repair.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode