What did you do to your Sierra/Silvy today? - Page 4418 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

20471Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #44171 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellassaiw10 View Post
Finally got a chance to install my RedHead!
Way easier then I made myself believe it was going to be.Steering is 100 times better, now just need to get it aligned now that everything’s tight up front for once.
. . . . . . . .
How many miles did your Duramax have on it when your stock steering gear went bad? Or was it damaged in an accident - damaged from oil leak...? What? The reason I am curious is I need to budget for future maintainence...curious about that to expect (at the moment my stock steering is fine - precise...not a sports car...but at least as good as most modern cars !)
I bought it with 180k on it and I’d say it was probably going bad at the time, since my steering has always been the same until now haha. Whether it was wrecked before me I have no idea. I didn’t start paying attention to it until fluid started leaking out the bottom of the box shortly after changing my pitman arm. I’m guessing when I upgraded all my front end parts it finally showed itself.

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44172 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellassaiw10 View Post
Finally got a chance to install my RedHead!

Way easier then I made myself believe it was going to be.

Steering is 100 times better, now just need to get it aligned now that everything’s tight up front for once.
I would love to install one. Mine has 195,000 on it and it causes the steering to wander.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Zero wandering now! Like a whole new truck, never knew what fresh steering felt like apparently
ChevyDMax89 likes this.

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
post #44173 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Changed the oil..........Rotella T6 5W-40

The FIlter ....................Baldwin 1221

And lubed the front end...........Lucas Red n Tacky

While lubing I tried out my new "Slide on" grease gun head. I thought it would make the two Zerks that point straight up and the one on the Idler easier to grease.

Its CRAP! Even when fully on it just slides back and blows grease all over the top of the Zerk instead of in the joint.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 12-15-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44174 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 AM

Garage
Picked up a Banks Auto Mind 2 on the cheap from a local Craigslist dude.

Fixed the speedometer from the larger tires and installed the economy tune to see what MPG it provides

2007 Silverado Classic 3500 SRW CCLB LT3 LBZ
All stock with @341k+ and still going.
post #44175 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Changed the oil..........Rotella T6 5W-40

The FIlter ....................Baldwin 1221

And lubed the front end...........Lucas Red n Tacky

While lubing I tried out my new "Slide on" grease gun head. I thought it would make the two Zerks that point straight up and the one on the Idler easier to grease.

Its CRAP! Even when fully on it just slides back and blows grease all over the top of the Zerk instead of in the joint.
I love the lock n' lube grease nozzle,plus the moog idler grease fitting extension is a must.
CDmax16 likes this.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #44176 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:07 AM

plan on washing my cadi and truck today,nice and warm here up in MA.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #44177 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc502 View Post
I love the lock n' lube grease nozzle,plus the moog idler grease fitting extension is a must.
Lock N lube is all I use any more. They are great.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2016 lml chevy ccsb. Last december installed a HSP compound turbo kit with a stainless diesel 5 blade S475 over stock. And a exergy 10mm cp3 conversion kit but still stock injectors and transmission. 5" flo-pro exhaust with no muffler and tuning is done with EZ Lynk by PPEI.
post #44178 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc502 View Post
I love the Lock n Lube too. I haven't yet bought the Moog extension mostly because I may then get lazy and I like to drip the skid plate to inspect the idler and the steering box.

I agree, getting the lock n lube on the idler is a PITA but it is doable. After a few "Choice" words I always manage to get it on there.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #44179 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
I do not see how a worn steering gear can make our trucks "wander"
How could you not?
Quote:
Do you know how to check for a worn/loose steering gear box?
Do You?
Noble_dmax and harnold like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #44180 of 44576 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:14 PM

eagerly awaiting 6686L’s reply.

“My” company Silverado: XM receiver stopped XM receiving so I installed the old one from my wife’s old car. Called XM to change the service over and they wanted $15. I told them if that’s the case just shut it off, and while they’re at it shut off the other three. Immediate change of policy, now switching is freeeeee
1TRIKHD likes this.

16’ C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35”s, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode