What did you do to your Sierra/Silvy today? - Page 4433 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

20445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #44321 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Garage
Finally replaced my key fob for the second time in 3 years... man they wear out fast Lol replaced it with a Boost Auto Parts 201 style fob. So far great quality!

Up next lower control arms. Should I just press new bushings and Kryptonite BJs in my old ones or order Dmax Store replacements w/o Kryptonite??

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44322 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Most Known Unknown

2012 Silverado Duramax:
Finished with the arm changes for the steering, kicked my rear the entire way. I did come to a roadblock and curious if anyone of you guys have something laying around that could be sold and shipped before I break down and go to Cognito and see what they’re going to want..

My new pitman and idler arms require the fine thread bushings for the PISK, whereas the previous arms used the coarse thread bushings. For the time being I tightened everything down with the braces installed without the heims that attach at the arm studs..

Thoughts?

Was so damn exhausted I decided to soak the heims for the tie rods and will attack those in the next day or so, I’ll just spend the rest of the day with the wife and relax!
Name:  3AB3A9A0-5B44-40CD-B3A3-7C894A5CC306.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  11.1 KB
post #44323 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChevyDMax89
I've come to the conclusion that I'll never attempt to repair or replace any steering components on my truck after hearing all these stories. Some of you may like the challenge and I get it, but when the time comes for my front end work, I'm just gonna pay the money and have a shop do it lol. Don't get me wrong, I do my own maintenance, but some things I just don't have the patience for.
Back on topic, I just drove mine to the landfill today and then to Walmart. Back to work tomorrow after a 16 day vacation!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NAME: JIMMY
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Moto Metal 962 wheels wrapped with 32x11 Toyo Mud Terrains, 2" wheel spacers, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Banks Ram-Air Intake, custom straight pipe exhaust w/5" tip, EGR Delete, FASS 150 lift pump, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, Suncoast Gmax 6 w/1056 converter, Edge Insight moniter, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, 7" Pioneer Double-din, (2) Boss Phantom 12s in custom box, more coming soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44324 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDMax89 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I'll never attempt to repair or replace any steering components on my truck after hearing all these stories. Some of you may like the challenge and I get it, but when the time comes for my front end work, I'm just gonna pay the money and have a shop do it lol. Don't get me wrong, I do my own maintenance, but some things I just don't have the patience for..........
I'm with you. Don't mind working on the truck but some things I would rather just pay someone else to do it, like front ends.

I am very fortunate that we have a local Mom and Pop suspension and alignment shop close by that I have done business with for years. They can do the work for less that what my time is worth, so it is a no brainer to me. They just did an alignment on my truck on Friday for $50. I will pay that any day/all day.

Anytime any of my cars/trucks or my son's cars need front end/suspension work they all go to the local shop. Never had an issue. Great folks to work with while supporting the little man.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #44325 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
I'm with you. Don't mind working on the truck but some things I would rather just pay someone else to do it, like front ends.

I am very fortunate that we have a local Mom and Pop suspension and alignment shop close by that I have done business with for years. They can do the work for less that what my time is worth, so it is a no brainer to me. They just did an alignment on my truck on Friday for $50. I will pay that any day/all day.

Anytime any of my cars/trucks or my son's cars need front end/suspension work they all go to the local shop. Never had an issue. Great folks to work with while supporting the little man.
I remember when I tackled a complete overhaul on my frontend with all new kryptonite parts, DHD brace, UCA's, endlinks and lower ball joints it took me 2 weeks. Good thing I dont drive my everyday. Kids take up alot of time and are more important then a truck that wants to go fast.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
post #44326 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:10 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

Couldn’t agree more jimmy.

I’ve got a great relationship with a customer of mine and we always take care of each other. He’s done a bunch of work on the Lb7 for me.
JimmyD and harnold like this.

Joe
2008 CCLB LMM
13.39 @ 99.44 W/ 1.76 60’
456 HP 925 TQ

2003 RCLB LB7 “UNDER CONSTRUCTION”
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
post #44327 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Most Known Unknown

Yeah no doubt it’s a PITA wrenching on certain things! I don’t have kids, never will, and as much as I preach to family and friends about hating to work on stuff, I always find myself in the middle of something lmao. Sadly I think it’s always going to be like this, which for me if I know I can do it, I’ll do it, save the money, and blow it on something else

FWIW, last time I did this sort of operation, nothing was on the truck (front diff, centerlink, bumper, fenders, etc) since it was getting an ELF mod and all new suspension post lift removal at the same time, so it was a million times easier!
1TRIKHD and harnold like this.
post #44328 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
It makes sense, why take 3x longer to do something you can pay someone else to do.
I'm a bit paranoid about letting anyone else work on my truck, but that's because no one here has ever worked on one before and if they are gonna google how to do things I might as well do it.
I replaced my key today, coding went fine, bit when I went to do the fobs ( after putting in the DIC switch Joe sent me) I don't have the program option, so I'll try the snap on scan tool and hopefully that works or I'm screwed
JimmyD and jwcgmc1985 like this.

RHD 2013 2500HD Silverado WT Regular Cab
Deleted, FASS 150, Moonshine by Tony, Ally Tray, 20in Dicks, All Terrains, LEDs, Lowered and pissing off local drivers daily due to my size
post #44329 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Most Known Unknown

post #44330 of 44546 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM

Garage
I just returned from holiday family gatherings in Iowa where I acquired these two barn find gems! The DT400 came from extended family and the GT80 was my very own as a kid! (see throwback photo!) Can't wait to restore these two vintage Yamahas! I bet all the truckers were chatting up on the CB radio about my setup driving I80 westbound yesterday! Ha!

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic GMC 2500HD Crew Cab -Silverthorne, CO
@Motodrew : IG / YouTube
Build Thread

Build Sheet: 8" Fabtech lift ; 20x9.5 Fuel Maverick wheels ; 35x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs ; 5" MBRP exhaust w/3" MBRP Downpipe ; LBZ up pipe ; WCFab Stage 2 Intake ; WCFab Intercooler Pipe ; FASS 150 lift pump w/ draw straw ; PCV Reroute ; EFI Live by DDD ; TransGoJr ; Edge Insight CTS2 ; Ruff Stuff Specialties Traction Bars ; Boost Mirrors ; Husky Liners Kickback flaps; Amp Research Steps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode