2500 6.0 or Duramax - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflag8 View Post
Let me touch back base here and see what you guys have to say. Haven't found many 6.0 trucks on the market right at the moment and I've been doing more homework on Duramax trucks the more I go along.

$20,000 is around my budget price for right now. Around here for that I'm finding Duramax truck 06-07.5 usually have 160k-190k miles and up. Then 08-10 usually little over budget with 180k-300k I've just been watching trying to see where things go for now. Haven't decided if it's better if I did get a Duramax to have an older truck lower miles or newer truck higher miles

I've seen lly trucks 04.5-05 kinda all over the board and for cheaper prices but I think I better off to stay away from them. Plus I would really like to have the six speed Allison
At 200k miles any of the major mechanical systems on any truck can fail at any time, even if properly maintained. Now compound that with the fact that many of these vehicles are not properly maintained, throw on a 10k+ lb trailer for a significant fraction of the vehicle's mileage, possibly some tuning (running engine out of spec), and you're nicely set up for catastrophe.

Personally, I'd suck-start an AR-15 before dropping twenty thousand dollars on a vehicle with that sort of mileage and a high likelihood of having been subjected to past abuse. Is the possibility of the transmission (mid-four-figure rebuild cost) turning into kibbles and bits 10,000 miles from now acceptable to you, given the amount of money you are about to spend?

At your price point, I'd be looking for the newest (and lowest mileage) gas truck I could find, and I would immediately rule out anything that had any trace of a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch. Unless, of course, you have the resources (time, money, tools, work area, and expertise) to perform expensive/complex repairs yourself, and enjoy this sort of thing. Just my two cents.

Edit: Also realize that the pre-emissions diesel trucks' (LBZ especially) prices are artificially inflated as a result of the newer trucks' emissions systems that many folks find undesirable. In no sane world is a twelve-year-old pickup truck with 200,000 miles worth twenty grand. It's absolutely ridiculous; this madness is entirely an artifact of emissions regulation.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank

Last edited by jdwarren; 04-05-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by poosniffer View Post
In my area $20,000 will NOT get you a decent diesel truck of any brand.Based on your first post I would recommend getting a 6.0 gasser.A lot of us on here realistically don't need a Duramax but enjoy the diesel "lifestyle".In any case most diesels are a labor of love.If I was going to replace my truck I would go gas.
Yeah it certainly isn't finding anything easy or fast around here. Only a few decent local trucks for that price I've even seen and none right now and that diesel or gasser. I agree for what I'm doing now I don't need a diesel. I do like the option of getting it and having it in the future for whatever I decide to do down the line. And I really like all the options you have of things you can do to the actual truck even just with tunes. I wouldn't mind having the exhaust brake either. But once again you have to pay to play for all those things and if something did go wrong that's where the problems might come in.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflag8 View Post
Hey what's up everyone. Not sure if this is where to ask this or not. I know this is primarily a Duramax forum. I have been to a few other forums for opinions and one of them sent me this way. I was just looking for some input and help. I'm looking to upgrade from a chevy 2002 1500 z71 to a 2500 chevy or gmc I've been looking from about 2004 and up. The biggest issue I'm trying to decide right now is gas or diesel. I am a mechanic but never worked or messed with diesels.

So I tow a open car trailer and racecar in the summer during race season right now about 6,000-7,000lbs depending on which car is on it. I do tow some other stuff here and there too. But I would like the ability to tow more and to have something better for long distance trips and driving/ towing in the mountains. Now mountain trips would probably be less then a handful of times a year. Unless we really decided we liked racing at the track out there then might go a few more times. I don't plan for the truck to be a daily driver. I've put about 20,000 on my 1500 I have now in the 8 years I've had it. About 2-3 years of that was daily driving.

What I do know right now is 6.0 is a gas hog, Duramax will give you better fuel economy and obviously better when it comes to towing. But I don't know if I do enough hauling to justify the added expenses and maintenance for a Duramax.

Also just trying to figure out what the best years, engine, and trans combos are to look for and any other issues either of these trucks have to be aware of. Sorry if this was too big of a post or not the right place to put this but Any advice help or opinions are greatly appreciated.
We tow a 13000 lb camper a couple times a month. In our case the diesel is WELL worth the additional expense.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Ok I'm still looking and now I have a buddy looking for a truck and my brother inlaw is looking for one now too, which he wants to get a diesel. So now I'm researching and looking around for 3 people lol. Anyway the question my brother inlaw was wanting to know is if it is worth getting an lly truck or not. I've seen a few as well as him for decent price lower miles 120-150k and look to be pretty clean trucks.

So if you found one that was clean appears to not been beat on are they worth it? Or should he stay away and wait for a deal in a lbz or lmm truck. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode