Honeymoon is over................. - Page 14 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
^^^^ That's a good thread summary, right there.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

...at the end of the day....

Just got back from another 2-week vacation.
Under advice from this forum, I had the alternator replaced (chirping at shutoff) which cost me over $500.
Imagine my surprise when I get to the first stop on our journey, and it's still chirping like a canary on steroids! I blew $500 for an alternator that probably didn't need replacing in the first place....

The upside is that since this was a relatively "flat" trip with few hills...I was able to drive it in MANUAL mode and avoided any fuel-related codes....just a constant chirping.

Here is where the "end of the day" part comes in: I have grown to hate this vehicle.
I've never felt that way about any other vehicle I've owned...not even the last GM that left me stranded...but this one has broken my spirit AND my bank account...so she is on Craigslist now. I'm done with diesels.....the $5000 it will cost to repair it will buy a LOT of gasoline...I don't care if I get there ½ hr later than everyone else.

For the record....the mechanic who DIAGNOSED the injector failure was a GM diesel tech.

Last edited by Qwazert; 12-31-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #133 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 PM

In all honesty, it sounds like you made a good choice since you where unwilling to try even the easiest and cheapest of the advice given to you here by these long time DM owners. Good Luck!

2017 2500HD Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71, Midnight Edition. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover, Weathertech mats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I get the feeling that we could have this thing running flawlessly in a day doing what hook has suggested to a "T".

GLWS

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM

Last edited by DaJokr; 07-07-2018 at 04:13 AM.
post #135 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR8ERFXR View Post
In all honesty, it sounds like you made a good choice since you where unwilling to try even the easiest and cheapest of the advice given to you here by these long time DM owners. Good Luck!
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

He is correct, he should get rid of it. HE is much better off with a gasser.

Personally I would never go back to gas for towing.

When I cross the tallest hill in my part of the world (the bridge on I-10 crossing the Mississippi river bridge into Baton Rouge my old Ford gasser would pull it, but by the time I got to the top I was in 2nd gear with the engine screaming doing 35 MPH.

My LMM does drop a gear climbing the bridge but I am still doing 62 MPH in cruise control at around 2200 RPM...............SWEET!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 07-07-2018 at 07:58 AM.
post #136 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazert View Post
...at the end of the day....

Just got back from another 2-week vacation.
Under advice from this forum, I had the alternator replaced (chirping at shutoff) which cost me over $500.
Imagine my surprise when I get to the first stop on our journey, and it's still chirping like a canary on steroids! I blew $500 for an alternator that probably didn't need replacing in the first place....

The upside is that since this was a relatively "flat" trip with few hills...I was able to drive it in MANUAL mode and avoided any fuel-related codes....just a constant chirping.

Here is where the "end of the day" part comes in: I have grown to hate this vehicle.
I've never felt that way about any other vehicle I've owned...not even the last GM that left me stranded...but this one has broken my spirit AND my bank account...so she is on Craigslist now. I'm done with diesels.....the $5000 it will cost to repair it will buy a LOT of gasoline...I don't care if I get there ½ hr later than everyone else.

For the record....the mechanic who DIAGNOSED the injector failure was a GM diesel tech.

If anybody here thinks this is such an easy fix....come and get yourself a great truck! https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6621596688.html
Sad to see that you have given up so easily, good luck with your sale sir. If there is anything that we on this forum can assist you with in the future, please give us a shout.

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
2006 LBZ (Regency Edition) sold

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

post #137 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, I spoke to ANOTHER mechanic today and he seemed to be aware of the "bottle test" and FPRV....as well as the fuel line issue, although he says he's never seen an issue with them.

The previous dealer that I brought it to, turned out to be a shyster....they "CONFIRMED" that the squeak was coming from the alternator, yet the squeak remains.
They diagnosed that BOTH of my horns stopped working simultaneously and quoted me around $500 to replace, yet when I crawled under the vehicle yesterday....surprise, they were simply disconnected. When I reconnected them....they BOTH work again.
Therefore I have ZERO faith in their diagnosis that all 8 injectors require replacement....I will be speaking to their service manager, although I imagine that I'll get the usual corporate BS and runaround....

As I was driving to this other mechanic....she threw ANOTHER code at me....as if to confirm my decision to sell this POS as soon as possible....P0403 EGR issue.

Can't wait to get rid of this.............................................. .
post #138 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Ya have to realize, out of the millions of Dmax produced, they are highly reliable....and they just don't break down....much.

As a result of that ^ AND it being a Diesel, there just isn't much experience out there with shops....again, they don't break down. It's hard to find an experienced repair person who has tackled a similar problem in the past.

So with the DF archives we have, compiling real world experiences from a User standpoint, many times your solution found here is right on.

But trying to find a shop to act on this info.....scarce.

Just hope you never have a problem with the Allison. It's probably the most reliable item on the HD.
Trans shops, they don't work on transmissions anymore like in the past. They just pull and install off the shelf remans....that come with a 3rd party warranty, which also covers their labor if something goes wrong.
No liability on their part, they're covered regardless.

Try and source an Allison certified repair shop on their site, good luck with those. They're all shops handling large MD and HD trucks, where they just roll up under 'em.
They don't have any lifts in the shops, never use 'em.
So they can't work on your small, low to the ground HD.
West1134 likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #139 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazert View Post
Well, I spoke to ANOTHER mechanic today and he seemed to be aware of the "bottle test" and FPRV....as well as the fuel line issue, although he says he's never seen an issue with them.

The previous dealer that I brought it to, turned out to be a shyster....they "CONFIRMED" that the squeak was coming from the alternator, yet the squeak remains.
They diagnosed that BOTH of my horns stopped working simultaneously and quoted me around $500 to replace, yet when I crawled under the vehicle yesterday....surprise, they were simply disconnected. When I reconnected them....they BOTH work again.
Therefore I have ZERO faith in their diagnosis that all 8 injectors require replacement....I will be speaking to their service manager, although I imagine that I'll get the usual corporate BS and runaround....

As I was driving to this other mechanic....she threw ANOTHER code at me....as if to confirm my decision to sell this POS as soon as possible....P0403 EGR issue.

Can't wait to get rid of this.............................................. .
A good reliable trustable mechanic is what you really need. More than likely you will find that the codes are related. If its not building exhaust back pressure, it can start kicking EGR codes. Being as the last dealer or someone started unplugging stuff, I would not be surprised to find other practices to entice you to keep bringing it back. $5,000 or mr for injectors, $500 for alternator, $1,200 ( or more) to fix ear and all they do is plug something back in or change a cheap hose.

Just like any other vehicle out there, sometimes one does have issues. Look at the total number of miles of experience with the Dmax on this site and the number of people with extensive repairs. I am on my 4th Dmax racking up 178k+ on my first one (still have her), 203K on my second one (113K by me), 23K on the 3rd one (traded because I wanted a different color), and 12K on the present one. The one with 178k on the clock has been hydrolocked and still made the 150 mile trip home from where it happened. Got lucky and was just above idle when it ingested the water. Drained intercooler and let water drain through the rings, fired it up, finished the 4 hrs of work at the deer lease then drove home. Got lucky, had I been turning high RPM she would have needed a block, instead 1 piston, 1 rod, and 1 bearing were the damage. Total number of times in the shop for all 4 trucks under warranty and other than maintenance or stupidity is less than 15 (counting oil changes).

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #140 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
Good luck with the sale. Hopefully it goes to a good home.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode