An Easy Fix For 07-14 Worn AC Buttons - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

An Easy Fix For 07-14 Worn AC Buttons

Just thought I would share this with the community. So I am very meticulous with my truck, especially the inside. So when interior was only flawed by my worn out AC control buttons, it kicked my OCD into overdrive. It seems to be a common occurrence of the paint rubbing off the buttons allowing a big spot for the light to bleed through. I was just gonna buy a whole new unit until I discovered that a new AC Control Unit was at least $250 AND had to be programmed to the truck, by a dealership, for it to work properly... That is a lot of money for a minor cosmetic issue. If you have ever looked into this common issue, I am sure you have discovered the sticker "fix" that just covers the problem. This was not a true solution in my opinion.

So, I decided to try and find a cheap unit, with buttons still in good shape, and try to swap out just the buttons and keep my original "brains." I managed to find a unit, in perfect cosmetic condition on eBay for $45 with free shipping. Switching at the buttons took little to no effort with just little clips and four screws holding the unit together. An added bonus was that the outer screen also comes out with the buttons so that got replaced too!

My interior is back to being flawless for only $45. Hopefully this will help someone else who is as OCD as I am.
Attached Images

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

The finished product:
Attached Images

lutzjk913, M.A.M. and mizterwizard like this.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Looks really good. I have the same problem as you.

Did you have to remove the entire box or just remove and replace the faceplate?

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Looks really good. I have the same problem as you.

Did you have to remove the entire box or just remove and replace the faceplate?
The whole unit has to be removed. The "plate" that has the buttons also has the holes for the mounting screws that secures the unit to the dash.

And there are four screws that must be removed from the back side of the unit to get the "button plate" off.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 PM

There are also decal kits being sold, that just go over the old buttons. Iíd have to do a search to find them, but they are cheaper than that even. From what Iíve seen they donít look too bad and nothing has to be taken apart to repair them. My wife has long finger nails and the buttons in her Saturn Outlook are almost completely bare. Imagine Iíll go the route of the decals to cover them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD CC SRW 6.6 LMM 190,000 miles. Bought new
Fully deleted, uppipe, 3Ē downpipe, EGR delete, cold air intake, cold and hot side tubes, EFI live tuning and DSP5 switch, Transgo Junior kit, PCV bypass, Allison deep pan and filter kit, Moog tie rod upgrade

2015.5 Chevrolet 3500HD CC DRW 6.6 LML 103,000 miles Bought with 98,000 miles
Stock
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox58 View Post
There are also decal kits being sold, that just go over the old buttons. Iíd have to do a search to find them, but they are cheaper than that even. From what Iíve seen they donít look too bad and nothing has to be taken apart to repair them. My wife has long finger nails and the buttons in her Saturn Outlook are almost completely bare. Imagine Iíll go the route of the decals to cover them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
If you have ever looked into this common issue, I am sure you have discovered the sticker "fix" that just covers the problem. This was not a true solution in my opinion.
I consider the stickers to just "cover up" the problem.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I consider the stickers to just "cover up" the problem.

I know they do. Thatís the idea if you donít want to go the route you did. Yours look nice, but finding the unused buttons like you did is very rare. Just throwing another option out there.

Fully deleted, uppipe, 3Ē downpipe, EGR delete, cold air intake, cold and hot side tubes, EFI live tuning and DSP5 switch, Transgo Junior kit, PCV bypass, Allison deep pan and filter kit, Moog tie rod upgrade

Stock
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox58 View Post
I know they do. Thatís the idea if you donít want to go the route you did. Yours look nice, but finding the unused buttons like you did is very rare. Just throwing another option out there.
I just thought maybe you didn't see where I mentioned them in my original post.

Yeah that is the "quick fix."

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I just thought maybe you didn't see where I mentioned them in my original post.

Yeah that is the "quick fix."

Sorry. Guess I didnít see it in your original post. The stickers arenít too great for sure. Guess they would look better than the open hole they would cover. Havenít actually done them myself.

Stock
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Looks GREAT!! Good job!!

Thanks for sharing

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode