Prepping for a long ride - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
CONFUSED ABOUT TRAILER TIRES, cont:

I am coming to the conclusion that BIAS tires seem to be least likely to fail explosively.

The more people we can get to chime in with their opinions, the better !

The enemy of the majority of trailer tires and tires in general is heat.
In the approximately 100,000 miles of towing RVs all over the country,
I can tell you from my experience that radials run cooler and have fewer failures.

chevor has pulled a lot more than I have and
his comments bare out the general opinion of those that haul for a living.
The new RV haulers always try what they think will work but eventually learn that what is recommended by those with more experience is recommended for a reason.

I agree wholeheartedly with Hooks post as I have witnessed that more times than you might imagine.
You can go by the numbers if you want, but few tires live up to the numbers.

I would rather have what works rather than what is promised, but the decision is yours.

07 LBZ SLT 4X4 CrewCab/SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Like some others here, I am not going to get into the ST/LT debate.

There are many on this forum (including me) that tow heavy >14k lbs and many of us have done a ton of research regarding best tires for heavy trailer towing. Without getting into all of the specifics, the winners (from my research) are as follows (in no particular order)

Goodyear G614 Rib (14 Ply)
Duravis
Sailun S637 (Although made in China gets rave reviews on the RV sites and is a 14 ply tire)

This is provided as somewhere to research/look at when pondering trailer tire purchase. You will see that the price point differences among these tires is significant.

My best recommendation here is to do your own research and draw your own conclusions about best path forward for you, coupled with how you plan to use your trailer and the best tires for your situation.

Happy shopping.
Carolina_coast99 likes this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161

Last edited by JimmyD; 06-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Insurance... check with your insurance company to verify that you have towing insurance or that your trailer is cover by being hooked to your truck. Not all insurance companies have it where it will cover your trailer just because it’s hooked to your truck if something should happen.
This happened to me several years ago. I was coming home from a camping trip and my truck broke down. Insurance covered having my truck towed but did not cover having my camper towed, I had to pay that out of pocket. I’ve had the towing insurance ever since just in case I would need it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
TRAILER TIRE FAILURE questions, cont:

I did not go into details as to what happened in my own case. Tandem axle trailer with 235/80/R16.

Tandem axle - so four of them. Trailer weights about 3,800 lbs., my '38 Packard V-12 weighs about 5,700 lbs. One dosnt have to be a math major to see why I THOUGHT changing out the "D" rated 15" tire/wheel comb. that my new trailer came with, for the 16's.(purchased thru Amazon, clearly labled Chinese). Have somewhere around 8,000 mi. on them.

Yes - of course - I or a neighbor who borrowed it COULD have whacked a side-wall against a curb....! More than once ?

It was around 105 that afternoon - headed to Los Angeles on I-40 for a car show exactly mid-way (meaning 80 miles either direction for help) (half way between Needles & Barstow...!) that I heard two bangs, at first what I thought were gun-shots, in rapid succession. At the same time so folks passing me were waving and yelling at me.

Obviously, an explosive failure of one of the two tires took the other one with it. Tractor Supply in Barstow only had a pair of 15's, "D" rated, so I grabbed them, drove the hour and a half back out to where, thankfully, my trailer had not been molested, changed the wheels and continued on my way (both wheels were ruined - both tires had blown completely off the wheels).

I am putting the spare on, together with the additional 235/80/R16 I just bought - will keep the two 15's as spares.

Yes, I am religious about tire pressure, and no, I don't cruise over 65 mph. As a side note, on the trip back up here to northern Arizona the 15's ran noticeably hotter than the 16's. ( ? ? ? ? ).

From the comments in here, many of you guys feel the whole ST idea is a crock - are having good luck using radial LT's. Wish I could find some reference from some known consumer protection/testing entity to confirm the comparative failure rates. And waiting for those of you who are using BIAS trailer tires to discuss your experiences.

Last edited by 6686L; 06-17-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
I think you’ll be waiting a long time to hear from many people using bias ply tires. Very few are made and even fewer manufacturers install them on their trailers. I sold trailers for 15 years.......that doesn’t make me an expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express!😎

2019 GMC Denali 3500 Crew Cab, single wheel, standard bed, Onyx black, black leather, Duramax Plus, Fast Idle, Grille Cover, Cab Marker Lights, Off-Road, Floor Liners, Mud Flaps, Gooseneck Prep.
post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
So tell me mr smarty pants, what's the UTQG rating on the tires that come on our $70k trucks?
My bad. UTQG ratings are not required for LT tires, either.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I think you’ll be waiting a long time to hear from many people using bias ply tires. Very few are made and even fewer manufacturers install them on their trailers!😎
==========================================

Good point - as a rule, "bias" tires are less expensive than radials - if my idea to use "bias" tires on my trailers is so hot, how come so few people are doing it...…!
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
1960s tire tech....inexpensive and suitable for farm/off pavement use.

Scary to think back of the speeds I ran street racing....in a '70 AMX with polyester cord bias tires.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Hook'em_Horns!;…….1960s tire tech....inexpensive and suitable for farm/off pavement use. …...Scary to think back of the speeds I ran street racing....in a '70 AMX with polyester cord bias tires. [/QUOTE]
=========================================
"Hook" and a couple of others in here are trying to tell me to stick with radials - with this qualification - they are convinced "LT" ( light truck ) tires are better for heavy trailer towing than "ST" ( special trailer ).

I WAS gravitating towards the idea that a BIAS tire would give me reduced chances for a destructive carcass failure, now I don't know what to do with all the conflicting info. One thing for damn sure...Carrying only ONE spare on a multiple axle trailer isn't of much help if a catastrophic failure of one tire takes out the one behind it....I've just ordered extra "spare tire carriers" for both my trailers.

"Hook"...you gave a bad example - you tell us you "misbehaved" as a "young-un" with cars on which there were BIAS tires. If you can prove you were not killed years ago in a grizzly multiple roll-over caused by those bias tires blowing apart while you were street racing....well.....there goes your argument!
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:16 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
If they can't catch/find ya....did it really happen?

Tires were tires....turns out they were all Bias, Radials were just coming about.

-------------

Was chattin' with a guy in line to load, tandem axle GN with dovetail ramps...loading on more weight than I thought the 4 tires could handle (really squatted).

He liked 'em for holding up to the load abuse....14-ply Hercules.
It had the wide thick stable edge like a RIB radial. Even squatted fore/aft on the footprint and not the sidewall bulge, like my Duravis RIBs do.
Couldn't tell if it was LT or ST
Looking online, I find the H-901 listed as both an LT tire and an ST tire.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...cules/H-901-ST
https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...cules/H-901-LT

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 06-18-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode