Prepping for a long ride - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
henry42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 257
Garage
Prepping for a long ride

At the end of this month I'll be driving from NY to Houston and then back a couple of weeks later.

I'll be pulling a 28 ft car hauler with my kid's car as well as the contents of his apartment.

Looking for ideas on what kind of prepping to do.

I'll be getting the oil changed and tires rotated a week before I leave. I ordered a 5lb ABC fire extinguisher to take along. I'll have a 2.5 gallon spare jug of DEF. I'm taking a small pancake air compressor as well as a 2kw generator and a complete set of tools.

Truck has close to 9k miles and tires are in great shape. Trailer will have new Goodyear tires plus two spares.

So, I'm ready for suggestions on what I haven't even thought of.

Oh, I installed a wired 1080p always on camera onto the back of the trailer which will drive a 7" screen which will be securely attached to my rearview mirror.

Today I hitched up the trailer and installed the new weight distribution hitch I just got and tested the lights, brakes and rearview camera.

Trailer's going to be maxed out at 10k with about a 1000-1200 hitch weight leaving me 1000 lbs for myself, my son who will assist in the driving as well as the tools etc. in the truck.

I bought a hitch scale to be sure of the tongue weight and I'm weighing and tallying verything going into the trailer. My plan is to load the car into the trailer first and then sit the coupler on the scale so that I can keep an eye on and adjust as necessary the position of the weight in the trailer to maintain my desired tongue weight.

As soon as I enter NJ I'm planning on getting on a CAT scale to verify everything.

I'm also going to be keeping good notes on fuel consumption and figure out my optimum speed.

With an 11 ft high x 8-1/2 ft wide flat nosed trailer I know that I'll be crying all the way there and back. ing for 12mpg but we'll soon find out.

Total trip will be around 3500 miles.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
henry42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
JimmyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jagsonville
Posts: 2,169
Although you may already have planned for this, I would not leave on a trip like this without the following:

Jack for the trailer (blowouts do happen)
Impact wrench
Spare fuel filter

Fill out your sig so that we know what truck you have and will most likely garner more suggestions.

P.S. Seriously doubt that you will see 12 MPG. For those of us that tow heavy, 62-65 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy with 6th gear locked out.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
________________________________
DF DRW Club Member #161
JimmyD is offline  
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,900
WhenIm towing our 12000 lb 5er I get 10 MPG at 65. At 62 I get 11.

A 5% decrease in speed = a 10% increase in fuel mileage.

It is also a more relaxed drive just sitting in the right lane and letting every one else go as fast as they please.

^^^ is correct, stay out of 6th gear, keep rpms between 1800 and 2400, adjust speed to keep engine coolant and xmsn oil temps down and enjoy your upcoming adventure.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 06-08-2019 at 04:07 AM.
407driver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter
 
Carolina_coast99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SOUTHERN VA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
At the end of this month I'll be driving from NY to Houston and then back a couple of weeks later.

I'll be pulling a 28 ft car hauler with my kid's car as well as the contents of his apartment.

Looking for ideas on what kind of prepping to do.

I'll be getting the oil changed and tires rotated a week before I leave. I ordered a 5lb ABC fire extinguisher to take along. I'll have a 2.5 gallon spare jug of DEF. I'm taking a small pancake air compressor as well as a 2kw generator and a complete set of tools.

Truck has close to 9k miles and tires are in great shape. Trailer will have new Goodyear tires plus two spares.

So, I'm ready for suggestions on what I haven't even thought of.

Oh, I installed a wired 1080p always on camera onto the back of the trailer which will drive a 7" screen which will be securely attached to my rearview mirror.

Today I hitched up the trailer and installed the new weight distribution hitch I just got and tested the lights, brakes and rearview camera.

Trailer's going to be maxed out at 10k with about a 1000-1200 hitch weight leaving me 1000 lbs for myself, my son who will assist in the driving as well as the tools etc. in the truck.

I bought a hitch scale to be sure of the tongue weight and I'm weighing and tallying verything going into the trailer. My plan is to load the car into the trailer first and then sit the coupler on the scale so that I can keep an eye on and adjust as necessary the position of the weight in the trailer to maintain my desired tongue weight.

As soon as I enter NJ I'm planning on getting on a CAT scale to verify everything.

I'm also going to be keeping good notes on fuel consumption and figure out my optimum speed.

With an 11 ft high x 8-1/2 ft wide flat nosed trailer I know that I'll be crying all the way there and back. ing for 12mpg but we'll soon find out.

Total trip will be around 3500 miles.
May want to top off the DEF fluid in the tank as well, even if DIC says level is "ok". I have started to add def fluid to the tank when I'm also performing an oil change in a effort to avoid any warnings while going down the road.

Current Truck:
2019 Sierra 3500HD DURAMAX L5P; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg, 5th wheel/goose neck prep pkg>
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xTra Cab, V6, 213,xxx miles
Aftermarket Items:
-Dark as legal tint;window visors; Ranch Hand front bumper; Weathertech hood protector;
Gone but not Forgotten:
2016 Sierra 3500HD 6.0; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg>
Carolina_coast99 is offline  
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter
 
Carolina_coast99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SOUTHERN VA
Posts: 62
^^^ is correct, stay out of 6th gear, keep rpms between 1800 and 2400, adjust speed to keep engine coolant and xmsn oil temps down and enjoy your upcoming adventure.[/QUOTE]

When you say "stay out of 6th gear" , I assume you mean keep tow mode selected?

On that note- is tow mode recommended whenever something is attached to the hitch? Or is there a weight minimum before it is needed?

Current Truck:
2019 Sierra 3500HD DURAMAX L5P; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg, 5th wheel/goose neck prep pkg>
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xTra Cab, V6, 213,xxx miles
Aftermarket Items:
-Dark as legal tint;window visors; Ranch Hand front bumper; Weathertech hood protector;
Gone but not Forgotten:
2016 Sierra 3500HD 6.0; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg>
Carolina_coast99 is offline  
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
JimmyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jagsonville
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_coast99 View Post
^^^ is correct, stay out of 6th gear, keep rpms between 1800 and 2400, adjust speed to keep engine coolant and xmsn oil temps down and enjoy your upcoming adventure.
Quote:
When you say "stay out of 6th gear" , I assume you mean keep tow mode selected?

On that note- is tow mode recommended whenever something is attached to the hitch? Or is there a weight minimum before it is needed?
Recommend that T/H be engaged if a trailer is attached.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
________________________________
DF DRW Club Member #161

Last edited by JimmyD; 06-08-2019 at 05:56 AM.
JimmyD is offline  
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
henry42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 257
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Although you may already have planned for this, I would not leave on a trip like this without the following:

Jack for the trailer (blowouts do happen)
Impact wrench
Spare fuel filter

Fill out your sig so that we know what truck you have and will most likely garner more suggestions.

P.S. Seriously doubt that you will see 12 MPG. For those of us that tow heavy, 62-65 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy with 6th gear locked out.
I'm driving a 2017 2500 and I am planning on taking a 3 ton floor Jack. I already have a spare fuel filter and 36mm socket in the truck as well as a 24" breaker bar, 4 way spinner and torque wrench for the wheels.

I just purchased new aluminum wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires for the trailer as I didn't trust the China bombs that the trailer came with. I got the E rated tires for additional protection and will take two of the old wheels as spares.

I asked my former EMT son to recommend a first aid kit and he said tylenol and bandaid.

I've towed before, and always use T/H as well as 5th gear.

Truck also has the Cts2 for monitoring engine.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
henry42 is offline  
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_coast99 View Post
When you say "stay out of 6th gear" , I assume you mean keep tow mode selected?

On that note- is tow mode recommended whenever something is attached to the hitch? Or is there a weight minimum before it is needed?
Yes, Tow Haul selected, pull shift lever down into M mode and set it to M5. It will shift normally up and down and will not go above 5th gear.

If it weighs more than my 14' flat boat (which is about 750 boat, motor ad trailer) I put it in TH.

TH does two wonderful things for the truck.

First, it changes the shift points to take advantage of the TQ the Duramax has.

Second it locks the TQ Converter above 2nd gear. This eliminates slippage, lowering Xmsn fluid temps.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 06-08-2019 at 06:39 AM.
407driver is offline  
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
henry42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 257
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_coast99 View Post
^^^ is correct, stay out of 6th gear, keep rpms between 1800 and 2400, adjust speed to keep engine coolant and xmsn oil temps down and enjoy your upcoming adventure.

When you say "stay out of 6th gear" , I assume you mean keep tow mode selected?

On that note- is tow mode recommended whenever something is attached to the hitch? Or is there a weight minimum before it is needed?
Yes, Tow Haul selected, pull shift lever down into M mode and set it to M5. It will shift normally up and down and will not go above 5th gear.
Would be nice if these settings could be locked in for when on a long road trip.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
henry42 is offline  
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter
 
Carolina_coast99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SOUTHERN VA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Yes, Tow Haul selected, pull shift lever down into M mode and set it to M5. It will shift normally up and down and will not go above 5th gear.

If it weighs more than my 14' flat boat (which is about 750 boat, motor ad trailer) I put it in TH.

TH does two wonderful things for the truck.

First, it changes the shift points to take advantage of the TQ the Duramax has.

Second it locks the TQ Converter above 2nd gear. This eliminates slippage, lowering Xmsn fluid temps.
Ok, just so I am clear.
From Park- while stopped (and tow/haul engaged), shift into M ( I do not have M, mine has P R N D L 1); so I should shift into "L" I guess? Then press the "+" button up to 5; then accelerate off , and the transmission won't shift past 5th gear. Sorry for the confusion.

Current Truck:
2019 Sierra 3500HD DURAMAX L5P; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg, 5th wheel/goose neck prep pkg>
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xTra Cab, V6, 213,xxx miles
Aftermarket Items:
-Dark as legal tint;window visors; Ranch Hand front bumper; Weathertech hood protector;
Gone but not Forgotten:
2016 Sierra 3500HD 6.0; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg>
Carolina_coast99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome