Tire rotation - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM

I found the deflate+horn method on the internet but didn't try it. The owners manual on my 2019 says this can "only" be done with a wand.

I'll give it a try next time.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
I was looking for other ppl's opinions
For me, the reasons for rotating are:
1) Either the fronts or the backs have worn more than the other (usually about 20k miles), and yes, the backs wear faster than the fronts on my truck, too.
2) Sooner if there is some other wear issue, BUT!!! That means there's a problem. On my 15 year old truck, the only front end alignment I've had to do was adjust the toe, because I was getting outside wear. And then I got a little inside wear because I went a little too far; backed it off a little and now it seems to be just right. But it usually takes 1000's of miles to see something like this.

When I see dealers or anybody wanting to rotate them every 5k miles, to me it's just to cover up problems. Then people are puzzled when their 50k tires wear out in 25k miles.

Oh, if it wasn't obvious, I don't believe in "within specs" because too often it's too wide a range, or just plain wrong, to get good tire wear and handling. "Within specs" is a good starting point.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

First of all, concerning the video, the driving coach let the novice driver do what he felt safe with on the first run but pushed him to go faster on the second run. (Bring out the Corvette driver in you. Hammer down. Go, go, go. Speed up until your rear tires lose grip. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going.) Then she had him slam on the brakes to maximize skidding. (Brake hard. Stand on that brake pedal.) Since the wheels locked it is plain that the ABS had been disabled. She talked about "You dialed in counter steer."
The video though showed that the front wheels were hardly turned past straight ahead. The student plainly didn't know how to handle this. This is a perfect example of setting up an experiment to get the desired result. The result is then invalid.

If you re-watch the video with an eye toward discovering bias you will see that it is very plain.

However, I will agree that having better tires on the rear than the front will lead to under steer rather than over steer. Since most people are more comfortable with a car that plows rather than spins, under steer is safer.

It is unfortunate that the video didn't present the issue more fairly. The rear tires run in the cleared path of the front tires so there is less water for them to handle. As long as there is a reasonable difference between the front and the rear the rears can be more worn than the front with no consequence.

On a FWD the fronts always wear faster than the rears but on RWD or 4WD the rears wear faster. If you put better tires on the rear of a RWD or a 4WD they will eventually become more even, if that is important to you.

I tend not to rotate tires very much because I agree that the main advantage is that it obscures wear problems. By not rotating as often you can see irregular wear and if properly interpreted it will tell you about problems with the steering and suspension.
justapilgrim likes this.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 06-09-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Question

This is a very interesting thread to me as I have owned many pickups, mostly duallys, a number of rwd automobiles, and my wife drives a 2wd Chevy Avalanche, and the front tires have always worn out before the rears. I rarely rotate because its cheaper for me to replace fronts or backs at a time, and the duallys have always had aftermarket wheels so 4 tires have to be dismounted and remounted. The only thing I have noticed with the duallys is that almost all tire installers fill the rear tires with their maximum air pressure of usually 80 lbs instead of paying attention to the factory air pressure recommendations of 65 front and 60 rear, and subsequently the rears prematurely wear out in the center because of over-inflation. If I tow, I increase the air pressure to 80 lbs when I tow my lq horse trailer because of the increased weight on the rear tires of over 10,000 lbs. Maybe its the difference in climates as I have lived in Southern California and now Northern Arizona, and/or dually rears just get more mileage. As one of the other writers have stated, my front tires also have a tendency to cup (4wd) when I use a more on/off-road design tire. Having changed to a highway tire, the problem went away.

2009 Chev HD 3500 DRW 4X4 DM/A LT ex cab, all stock except for wheels and running boards

Previous was 2002 GMC HD 3500 DRW DM/A 4X4 ex cab (3 times replaced all injectors in less than 100K miles)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I've always owned 4wd pickups. Every single one I've had has worn the back tires faster than the fronts, except for my 01 2500 Dodge Cummins. That one actually wore the fronts faster. I thought it was due to the heavy diesel motor up front (it was my first diesel), and perhaps it was, but I don't find my 07 Duramax to be the same. It wears the rear tires faster like all the others.
I'm like the OP, I have them rotated when I can start to see a difference in the tread wear. If I see uneven wear on the front tires that indicates an alignment is needed, then it gets one. I've found that my current 07 seems to need different air pressure between fronts and backs. If I set the front tires at anything much less than 55psi, then it shows more wear on the outside of the tires like an under-inflated situation. The back tires will show more center wear if I have them over 50 psi. Currently I'm running 60 psi in the fronts and 50 psi in the backs and that is showing even wear. When going on a trip and towing I will bump the back tires up to 55-60 psi for the trip.

Early 2007 Silverado Classic Crew Cab LBZ
K&N drop in air filter
Turbo resonator removed and capped
Cat somehow fell out and hasn't been replaced...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Best Practice,

Use Chalk Method to determine best inflation pressures loaded and unloaded.

Rotate regularly, tires will all wear the same in the end, replace all 4 at one time when needed.

While rotating you have an opportunity to look at your suspension. You or the tire shop can see if you have any issues that need to be addressed.

Suspension issues can cause cause abnormal wear on your tires, which can lead to needing replacement of tires sooner than they should have.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 06-17-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode