Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Best time to buy new 2019, with the 2020's coming out...

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  SS_Sean 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new 2019 Duramax. Local dealers already have some LT and LTZ's on "special" (roughly 15% of MSRP).

New 2020 HD's should be shipping soon to dealers.

I want to wait until 2019 prices drop some more, but not too long.

Thoughts / suggestions?

#2 ·
If you wait too long, you may not find the truck you want. 15% off is a pretty good discount on a $70,000 truck.
Check the Laura GMC website to get an idea of the best discounts currently available.

#3 ·
I worked with the internet sales reps to get quotes on trucks and after more than 2 months I found one in September that had been on 3 different dealer's lots and was being sold at a steep discount despite being a new truck and not a demo. I paid $41,700 for a 2011 2500HD Extended Cab truck that had everything except leather seats and the Nav system and did include a GM bed liner, GM running boards, GM diamond plate aluminum tool box, and GM tow mirrors.

I bought the truck without having seen it or driven it but entirely via emails to the sales rep. The dealer was 120 miles from my house but it was well worth the drive to save thousands of dollars on the new truck. At the time when I was getting an oil change at the dealer I saw the new 2012 1500 trucks on the lot and priced at $48,000.

When I have bought vehicles that were in short supply, like an SUV with 4.10 gears for example, I would try to level the playing field by locating the potential vehicles and then go into the dealer showroom two hours before closing time. That put pressure on them to make a deal and not have me leave before it was in place. I also do it as a cash deal with no trade-in vehicle so it is a simple transaction for the dealer. If I needed to finance then I would get prior approval for a car loan from a bank before making a deal. I have 72 hours to process the loan with the bank and usually it is done the following day. I try to go to the dealer showroom the last 2-3 days of the month and ideally for the quarter as the dealers pay a flooring tax or finance charge for a vehicle on the lot on the 1st day of the month. They can save that money by selling the car in the current month.

When I have an agreed on price for the truck I then start asking for free extras which is how I got the running boards and bed liner and tool box and tow mirrors. Worst case I will get them to sell the items to me at their cost and to do any installation at no charge. I have never had a salesperson not agree as they do not want to lose their commission on the big ticket item.

GM truck sales are down more than 4% and so their dealers are doubtless getting a lot of special promotions and deals to help them move the inventory. Trucks are also the most profitable vehicles that they sell - more profitable than even a Cadillac Escalade that is all pimped out. If the dealer has added a $2,000 wheels and tires package I get them to replace them with the stock wheels and tires or take $1,000 of the purchase price for the vehicle.

Reactions: DaubsNU1
#4 ·
I always buy old inventory in August....best prices, best deals.

#6 ·
There's a good supply of trucks in our local market right now. Some are discounted, others are still showing MSRP. I'm thinking as the new 2020's start rolling in, incentives on 2019's will increase.

Around here (eastern Nebraska), there are very few 2020's right now...I can see just two on dealer web sites.

Really appreciate the heads up here! Thanks.

#7 ·
Pulling the trigger on an 2019 LTZ CC 4x4 Duramax tomorrow! Stoked to be joining the L5P club!!

Haggled on price, and just couldn't get to where I wanted. They must have really wanted the sale, cause they threw in tonneau cover, GM full-cover rubber mud mats, mud flaps, and rear under-seat storage to close the deal.

Doesn't have cooled seats, which I really wanted. But I'm happy with the deal. It's the last 2019 silver Duramax at this dealership.

MSRP, $66,260, got 20% off sticker @ $52,572 out the door...

Reactions: sambor and jdwarren
#12 ·
Buddy is service manager at this dealership...he called and said might as well install level kit, and trade out the factory tires for BFG AT's.

Going from 265/70R18's to 275/70R18s. Should look great!

They are throwing in a bed mat in order to get some business discount...I dunno the details, more stuff, same price : )

A few pictures while at the dealership.

Oh, they purchased this truck from dealership in another state...had a had "dealer installed accessories" of window tint for $499 & Nitrogen inflation $399. My sales guy looked at that and laughed, "we aren't charging you for that crap...consider it free."

HA!

Attachments

#14 ·
Look soon...my dealership has multiple locations, and had thirty-five 2019 HD's for sale...only one was CC/4x4/short box/LTZ in Silver. I needed to act quickly.

They had lots of black, white, red, maroon trucks, some with the ugly brown interior.

Good luck!

#17 ·
Good point.

Nebraska winters...maybe that's why I prefer the black interior. That, and it hides stains better : )

#18 ·
Im just thinking the black interior is a better choice just because most vehicles are stocked that way. If something breaks it's easier to get matching replacement.

#21 ·
I got my 2500 High Country, Cajun Red Tintcoat on Sept 19th. MSRP was $71,000 and I was out the door (tax, title, license) for $54,700. Only took a couple hours of bargaining and saying give me some Chevy all weather floor mats all around and it was done.

Reactions: DaubsNU1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.