Question: emergency brake siezure - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Question: emergency brake siezure

Background:
Just took my ‘03 Duramax in to a shop with a good reputation to have them replaceall brakes, wheel seals, etc., as I did not have time to do it myself and I live in the mountains and it needed done ASAP. 2nd time driving it after getting it back from them I was hauling a trailer and as I was coming off the mountain, winding in and out, I heard a grinding sound which of course concerned me. Couldn’t pull over there though so just slowed it wayyy down and no sooner than I hit the flat land at the bottom of the mountain and my drivers’ side rear wheel locked up. Thankfully I was only going about 15mph, but it jackknifed me pretty bad and almost flipped the truck. Anyways. I called the shop as my first thought was that one of the calipers had failed-or that they hadn’t tighted all the bolts down well—I am not some educated mechanic so was hoping to give them the benefit of the doubt. They came and got it, looked at said that the energency brake had engaged, locking up the back end and subsequently causing the brake calipers to melt. They say this is not their fault, and I will have to pay for everything—about 3-5k just for parts and labor, and that doesn’t even cover the body damage. Just, what?! Does this not make sense to anyone else?? Isn’t it more likely that they over tightened the emergency brake and are not admitting to it? We are talking about a truck I have not had issues with the emergency brake, it’s bot cold/frozen/rusty/nasty, and I had only driven about 30 miles since getting the truck back from the shop!

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Edit: also had them replace all the brake calipers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Almost sounds like a piston or caliper locked up. If the parking brake had locked up you should have felt the drag on the truck which would have had to been going on awhile to melt the calipers.

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, 48re swapped, ratchet shifter with pcs vb
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES GDP, EXERGY, ATS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode