Where is this play in my steering coming from ? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

2 months ago I installed new tie rods and a new gearbox in my lbz . There is now play in my steering wheel . I have researched this and some people say the intermediate drive shaft . I had someone turn the steering wheel and there doesn’t seem to be play in the u joint . I had them move the steering wheel back and forth just until the wheel started to turn the wheels . Whole drive shaft seemed to move as one piece until it reached my gearbox . That’s where my play ends . Is it gearbox ?

2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 2500hd LBZ - 139k miles

Last edited by Jberger93; 07-25-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberger93 View Post
2 months ago I installed new tie rods and a new gearbox in my lbz . There is now play in my steering wheel . I have researched this and some people say the intermediate drive shaft . I had someone turn the steering wheel and there doesnít seem to be play in the u joint . I had them move the steering wheel back and forth just until the wheel started to turn the wheels . Whole drive safe seemed to move as one piece until it reached my gearbox . Thatís where my play ends . Is it gearbox ?
I know this is a stupid question, but is the gearbox loose against the frame? i replaced my gear box years ago and over the first few months the bolts backed out and the gear box was physically moving.

also, is the gearbox new or reman? i have heard horror stories of guys getting like 3 dead remans in a row from the big auto parts stores.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Quote:
2 months ago I installed new tie rods and a new gearbox in my lbz . There is now play in my steering wheel . I have researched this and some people say the intermediate drive shaft . I had someone turn the steering wheel and there doesn’t seem to be play in the u joint . I had them move the steering wheel back and forth just until the wheel started to turn the wheels . Whole drive safe seemed to move as one piece until it reached my gearbox . That’s where my play ends . Is it gearbox ?
I know this is a stupid question, but is the gearbox loose against the frame? i replaced my gear box years ago and over the first few months the bolts backed out and the gear box was physically moving.

also, is the gearbox new or reman? i have heard horror stories of guys getting like 3 dead remans in a row from the big auto parts stores.
It was a brand new redhead gear box . It’s definitely tight against the frame . I contacted redhead company and they told me I have permission to tighten the gearbox up . They said I have to loosen the lock but and turn the set screw ..... easier said then done . Not sure how i can accomplish this with it in the truck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
It was a brand new redhead gear box . Itís definitely tight against the frame . I contacted redhead company and they told me I have permission to tighten the gearbox up . They said I have to loosen the lock but and turn the set screw ..... easier said then done . Not sure how i can accomplish this with it in the truck
while i never had to do that, i have seen posts from others on this forum so it is possible to do it with it in the truck. Just make sure to make very very small adjustments, like 1/8 turns at a time. over tightening it will destroy the gear box. My replacement gearbox was also a red head, they are not new, but they are reconditioned much better than a dorman or something, you could have gotten a bad core or something.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 PM

pull the inner fender to get to the box. Made all the diff in the world when I swapped out my steering box - but that was on a 2002 so maybe not so much on a newer one?

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 402,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by long-time-dmax View Post
pull the inner fender to get to the box. Made all the diff in the world when I swapped out my steering box - but that was on a 2002 so maybe not so much on a newer one?
It definately helped installed the new box . I’ll take a look today and see if that helps adjust the box as well .

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Still no luck , I’m afraid to play with the gearbox . Anyone actually adjust one of these before while it is on the truck

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:31 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Adjusting is an easy thing to do provided you take an initial step or two before you start turning the adjuster. Make sure you mark the adjusting screw on ONE side with a marking pen color that you can see, and make another mark on the body of the steering box corresponding to the adjusting screw mark. Now you know, and can return to if necessary, your starting point. Hold the adjusting screw in stationary position with a screwdriver and loosen the adjusting nut, maybe a full turn, could be less. The adjusting screw mark should still line up with the mark on the body. Now, turn the adjusting screw clockwise 1/8 turn, then tighten the adjusting nut. Verify the new position with your index marks, adjust if necessary after tightening the nut. Drive your vehicle and see if it drives to your satisfaction. If not, repeat the process. If it ever feels that steering feel is getting stiffer to turn, you have gone too far, so start backing off until that goes away.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Adjusting is an easy thing to do provided you take an initial step or two before you start turning the adjuster. Make sure you mark the adjusting screw on ONE side with a marking pen color that you can see, and make another mark on the body of the steering box corresponding to the adjusting screw mark. Now you know, and can return to if necessary, your starting point. Hold the adjusting screw in stationary position with a screwdriver and loosen the adjusting nut, maybe a full turn, could be less. The adjusting screw mark should still line up with the mark on the body. Now, turn the adjusting screw clockwise 1/8 turn, then tighten the adjusting nut. Verify the new position with your index marks, adjust if necessary after tightening the nut. Drive your vehicle and see if it drives to your satisfaction. If not, repeat the process. If it ever feels that steering feel is getting stiffer to turn, you have gone too far, so start backing off until that goes away.
Awesome . Do I have to jack up the truck to do this ? It can the wheels be on the ground ? Have you adjusted the box while it was installed on your truck, or did you remove it first ? Of it was on the truck , any tricks to make it simple to get to ?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I adjusted my gearbox last night . I have turned it probably a little over 1/4 turn in total so far and it still seems to have play . Should I keep trying to tighten it ? I also noticed that the u joint that is at the lower intermediate steering shaft looks to be covered in oil . I wonder if it needs replaced .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode