Gelling - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Gelling

Ok guys so I'm looking at buying my first duramax. I was going to a while back but decided to hold off. So my wife is giving me a hard time about buying a diesel. Her brother in law says his is a nightmare in the winter. We live in Vermont. He said his gels up a lot. So I was wondering what you guys are using in your trucks to avoid this problem. I'm sorry if this topic has been covered but I'm new to forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 PM

Not an issue if you use good fuel and the proper additives.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

So how do you know if the fuel is good and what are the proper additives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:40 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

No no no no no no no no no! It is wayyy to early to see a gelling thread yet. It's still 90* outside. Come back when its cold

Get fuel from stations that are busy and hope their winter fuel is a good mix. Use optilube, diesel Kleen and keep 911 in the truck if you're worried about it. I know guys that are -40 and dont have gelling issues.

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, Big single, Big fuel, 48re swapped,
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
BIG s400, fuel, supporting mods
THANKS TO, SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES, GDP, EXERGY, S&S, ATS, FLEECE, DEALER FOR UNLEASHED TUNING.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:24 AM

I had issues with gelling on a long trip last year from Ohio to Montana with my brand new 2500HD; heading thru Indiana into a 30mph headwind and -20ish ambient temps. I learned pretty quick that I didn’t put in enough Power Service (white bottle) before is left; the trick with anti-gel is to add it before temps drop. It didn’t get bad enough to shut the truck down, but it sounded like my turbo was crapping itself any time I tried to lightly apply power. I got lucky and was able to pour in some Power Service 911 at a truck stop; that stuff works like magic. Throughout most of that trip; at least into Minneapolis, every truck stop I pulled into was out of anti-gel, and there were a lot of stopped trucks along the way. I know the fuel is supposed to be blended, but it sure as heck wasn’t blended enough. The farther you get out west, I was surprised seeing the options available for fuel- 50/50, #1, & #2. Once I got out past the plains, I used 50/50 or #2 as often as I could if the temps would allow.

So there’s my long story as a new diesel owner and my experience with gelling. Would I let it keep me from buying another diesel? Hell no.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:12 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Her brother in law says his is a nightmare in the winter. We live in Vermont.
I don't do Cold....we don't get along.
But from what I've observed from the yearly onset of 'gel' threads that pop up at the beginning of every winter is....it takes a while to fully remove all of the #2 Diesel from the distribution system, pipeline to pump, when they change over to #1 Diesel (lower gel point) in the Northern States.

Once we get deep into winter, with far colder temps, 'gel' threads/posts go away.
By then, it's all cleaned out with nothing but #1 @ the pumps.

Be ready with additives on hand, and fresh filters....just in case.

What are you going to pull with the new Diesel?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Not really pulling much, maybe a racecar once a week but want it for my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode