Romp on her to “Clean it out” - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Romp on her to “Clean it out”

Hey all. My first post here . Recently purchased a 2019 Chevy 2500 crew cab Dmax of course . Currently at 510 miles. I just would like to see your guys inputs on the topic I wrote in the title, for the new diesels with the DPF systems.

I’ve always heard people say you have to get on the throttle here and there to “Clean it out” I wondered if this has any relevance to the new diesels, since burning extra fuel and beating on something is not my forte.

Im 27 years old but I drive like a 87 year old grandmother. I haul my landscaping trailer with mowers a bunch of short trips in town 3-4 times a week on the side of my reg 7-4 job that’s 4 miles from my house . So obv I’m concerned about the dpf system and what’s best to keep it hot and flowing . Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Just a random flooring here and there won’t help, might actually make the soot build up worse, it needs sustained heat to do any good. I drive my 16 a lot like what you just described and knock on wood no dpf problems yet. I do take it to the next town over (30 minutes each way, 60ish mph) whenever I need something from there but I don’t make special trips just for the sake of driving the truck.

16’ C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled on 35ish, Ridge Runner
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Worse huh. I wouldn’t have guessed that. I’m not a fan of beating on anything I own . This is my first diesel , had a 3500 gasser that was a 2012 with 42k miles lol. Easy miles too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Also, i was referring to cleaning out the engine maybe injector wise . Wherever buildup would occur
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

If you really want to clean ‘er out, do some heavy towing.

Problem solved.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM

stomping wont clean anything out, if your worried about injectors run a lube/ cleaner through the system and for the dpf/ exhaust if you enter into a regin and turn the truck off it will resume where it was before you turned it off once it reaches operating temperature and if that isn't enough to clear it out then you will get a message on the dash telling you a regin is needed
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Romp on her to “Clean it out”

No, don’t romp on it. The soot production is highest on a rich mixture, which is what you have while accelerating. Ever seen one roll coal. More fuel is introduced than can be used, so it just vaporizes into soot.

A heavy load at sustained speed is the best for keeping dpf clean.

Around town and 15 to 20 minute legs to feed store I only get about 168 miles between regens. But about 450 between regens hauling trailer. But my trailer trips are only about 90 miles each way.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated ! I’ll continue my granny driving lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 PM

Best bet is to run a fuel additive if youre that worried about it. There is a discussion on here somewhere that list like the top additives & describes each.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion Race series with 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:56 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The very best thing for your fuel system to add lubricity and clean the entire system is Bio-Diesel. even a B5 blend is better than any additive you can buy.

It does nothing for the regens however.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in