Used 2017 3500 DRW - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Used 2017 3500 DRW

I'm buying my father in laws 2017 GMC 3500 DRW Denali. It has 180,000 on it. He drives a lot !! But he is the only one driving it so I know it hasn't been driven hard. He has had a couple of problems with the fuel system. I think fuel injectors or something like that. And it has a vibration under the dash or hood that make a buzzing sound at a certain rpms. Doesn't really bother me. I'm getting it for about half of what's its worth. Not complaining there. Just wondering if I should be worried about any other problems someone may have had with this particular truck ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:48 PM

Well that's depressing that he had issues with the injectors.. did he run any fuel additives?

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

No additives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:25 PM

Bummer. Well, seeing how you are new on here (I'm assuming you are new with only 3 posts) Please familiarize yourself with the fuel pump issues common to the 2011+ models. They call it a CP4 pump which Ford and Dodge and GM have in their modern diesels. It's been a source of a lot of concern by many on here as it is an expensive repair if it ever goes out. Not as simple as simply replacing the fuel pump. It does other damage as well when it goes out. With your father not having run additives (extra lubricity is the key) and having already seen injector failure, I'd imagine it puts this truck at a high risk of fuel pump failure. From what I've read on here thus far, the rectification for this is to swap out the CP4 pump for the previous generation CP3 pump before the CP4 goes out, which will be much less expensive. So please read up on that.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
Bummer. Well, seeing how you are new on here (I'm assuming you are new with only 3 posts) Please familiarize yourself with the fuel pump issues common to the 2011+ models. They call it a CP4 pump which Ford and Dodge and GM have in their modern diesels. It's been a source of a lot of concern by many on here as it is an expensive repair if it ever goes out. Not as simple as simply replacing the fuel pump. It does other damage as well when it goes out. With your father not having run additives (extra lubricity is the key) and having already seen injector failure, I'd imagine it puts this truck at a high risk of fuel pump failure. From what I've read on here thus far, the rectification for this is to swap out the CP4 pump for the previous generation CP3 pump before the CP4 goes out, which will be much less expensive. So please read up on that.
GM stopped using the CP4 in 2016.
jdwarren likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:35 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
2017 L5P uses a Denso HP4 pump
jdwarren likes this.

2017 Silverado 2500HD L5P LTZ Z71 CCSB 4x4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:46 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Injectors were an issue on the '17s and '18's. Saw a few who had 1 to 3 or so injectors replaced. Wasn't super common but enough to register. Really haven't seen that on the '19s.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 410,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
This is what's wrong with this forum, morons like this that want to give advice to people but have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.
eli_harper13 likes this.

2018 GMC 2500 CCSB - Denali - White - L5p
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:07 AM

HAHAHAHA he said " PLEASE READ UP ON THAT". LMAO

2018 GMC 2500 CCSB - Denali - White - L5p
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:40 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd5589 View Post
This is what's wrong with this forum, morons like this that want to give advice to people but have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
GM stopped using the CP4 in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Evers View Post
2017 L5P uses a Denso HP4 pump
Yeah, and then two people came along and got us back on track...guess it's not so bad after all, huh?

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode