Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Tuning Help

804 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hook'em_Horns! 
#1 ·
Hi, I need some help with my 2006 Silverado Duramax. Here's some background info. All stock.
New engine about 115K mileas ago,
New injectors about 50K miles.
New turbo about 3K miles.
I have had the truck for about 4 years.
This truck has always had an issue with too much diesel soot out the exhaust. Even w/o any load, it rolls smoke pretty badly. Then when I hookup my 48' Gooseneck trailer, its worse. Fuel mileage is about 15 w/o trailer and 8.5 with. It is ruining the side of my trailer. I have an EDGE Evolution controller and have tried using the economy settings, but still pours out soot. Power is good for what I need but too much soot, and lack of mileage.
Can anyone help me with this issue???
Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
Do you know what tune is on it? Almost sounds like the injection timing is late.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you are talking about the ECM programming, I just had the stock Chevrolet program reflashed in it after replacing the turbo. I thought maybe the previous owner had a hopped up tune in it. There wasn't any difference.
Dan

#4 ·
Black smoke,too much fuel, which does not do your fuel mileage any favors.

What are your balance rates, Fuel Rail Pressure, Desired and Actual?

#5 ·
Balance rates are good. Don't know the fuel rail pressure. Before replacing the injectors, I would get a "fuel rail pressure low" code. But not since replacing the injectors.
Dan

#6 ·
Boost leak test?

#7 ·
when the injectors were replaced, were they replaced with factory size injectors or with %over injectors? if they were replaced with modified injectors, was the tune rescaled for them?

Could also be a boost leak, there pretty common and would give you sooty black smoke.

At the end of the day black smoke is excess fuel, so either the tune is putting in too much fuel, or fuel at the wrong time, or your not getting enough air to burn all the fuel.

#8 ·
Could possibly be the Edge tuner as they were known to cause black smoke. I'd put it back to stock and see what happens.

#9 ·
The injectors are stock units. This problem was present with the old injectors also. As far as boost goes, while towing, I get about 17-18 lbs. this is the same with the old turbo. Is this a good number or should it be higher? Should I hear a hissing noise (?) if I have a boost leak? Thanks for the reply.
Dan

#11 ·
With a trip down the plumbing aisle, you can inexpensively assemble your own boost leak test kit.

Reactions: reddogg12
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.