Truck wonít start with code reader plugged in??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Truck wonít start with code reader plugged in???

2005 LLY, no tune installed. With the truck running, when I plug my code reader scanner into the OBDII port, many of the dash lights start flashing/blinking/Ēservice 4wdĒ/fuel gauge goes to E, but the truck will drive fine. I unplug the scanner and everything returns to normal.

If the scanner is plugged into the truck first, then I try to start the truck, the truck starts and dies immediately.

This same scanner used to work fine in this truck, and it still works fine in my dadís 2005 LLY and in various other vehicles.

Iíve checked various fuses, harnesses, etc.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Sounds like the high speed LAN is having problems. This is how all the modules in GM vehicles communicate.

Could be as simple as a bent pin on the connector or a failing module.

Check the resistance with a multimeter on the OBDII ports #6 and 14. Should be around 60 ohms with everything off.

2007 3500 SRW
All stock with @340,000 and still going.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey there. I don't have a pins in 6 or 14. Those are can CAN protocol pin locations, right? Mine uses class 2 protocol. I have pins 2 (data), 4,5 (both grounds), and 16 (battery +). Would an ohms test still be useful? I'm getting 12v going from 16 to ground in door jamb, 16 to 4 and 16 to 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmes143 View Post
Hey there. I don't have a pins in 6 or 14. Those are can CAN protocol pin locations, right? Mine uses class 2 protocol. I have pins 2 (data), 4,5 (both grounds), and 16 (battery +). Would an ohms test still be useful? I'm getting 12v going from 16 to ground in door jamb, 16 to 4 and 16 to 5.
My bad, yes those are the pins for CAN. Sorry I don't have any experience with the class 2 stuff other than the "old paperclip" code reader method in my third gen camaro.

I would check all the pins to ensure that they are in good condition (not gapped open or slipped out the back of the connector from plugging / unplugging the reader)

2007 3500 SRW
All stock with @340,000 and still going.

Last edited by theheder; 09-19-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode