L5P How to remove the def fluid tank - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

L5P How to remove the def fluid tank

Duplicate post for the correct section.

Was installing some step rails and the instructions werent for a L5P. You need to drop the def tank. Searched all over the forums and couldnt find any threads about how. It ended up being harder for me then it should have so i snapped a pic of how to remove the tank.

Remove the outside cover (four bolts) and the bolts that attach the def fluid tank skid plate to the frame (three bolts). Remove the tank straps (one bolt on each).

Now the tank is held up by two L shaped brackets with two studs on each protruding though the frameand two nuts inside of the frame rail. Access these nuts through holes on the inner side of the frame rail. These are a bitch to get to. I used different lengths of extensions to get them out, 1", 3", and two 6" extensions. YOU DONT HAVE TO COMPLETELY REMOVE THESE BOLTS. Just loosen them, maybe 5 full turns, push forward on the def tank, then pull outboard and it should come off. The pic below shows the four bolt holes that let you slide the tank forward and out.

I hope this helps somebody.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode