Adding an AUX port - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Adding an AUX port

So, I'm still learning my truck, but one thing I'm missing is a way to simply listen to my music through my phone in the truck. I'm not really sure what to get. I've seen these: https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aux-gm1.html
iSimple ISGM655 Premiuhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B54SJIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ymv2DbBW9NCS2

Not really sure what I need exactly. I dont need anything really fancy. I dont want to go digging into the truck just to break something. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15745243011516038136233704685355_1574524316008.jpg (30.4 KB, 62 views)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 - 146k miles - My 1st diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:15 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Do you have the XM option?
There's the main dash radio you see, and the XM module is over towards the glove box area and has a large harness that connects on the back of the dash radio.

The iSimple kit Tees into that XM harness, and provides a variety of inputs; RCA, 1/8 mini, full data USB, BT, and a hands free phone setup with aux mic. Steering wheel controls work it all, and when you cycle thru tuner/XM/etc., it appears on the radio as another selection.

However, if you're proficient at soldering, it is possible to tap into the XM harness wires and install your own 1/8 plug, for 'bout $10 total.

Audio, you MUST solder these connections for it to work. You select XM on the dash, and since you don't have a subscription, only channel 1 & 0 will display.
Ch 1 is a continuous audio ad for their service, while Ch 0 displays radio ID with no audio track.

This^ (Ch 0) is what you want to tune to for your own aux input signal. It will work on Ch 1, but you'll have the bleed over ad audio, while Ch 0 is silent, just you.
jdwarren likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Do you have the XM option?
There's the main dash radio you see, and the XM module is over towards the glove box area and has a large harness that connects on the back of the dash radio.

The iSimple kit Tees into that XM harness, and provides a variety of inputs; RCA, 1/8 mini, full data USB, BT, and a hands free phone setup with aux mic. Steering wheel controls work it all, and when you cycle thru tuner/XM/etc., it appears on the radio as another selection.

However, if you're proficient at soldering, it is possible to tap into the XM harness wires and install your own 1/8 plug, for 'bout $10 total.

Audio, you MUST solder these connections for it to work. You select XM on the dash, and since you don't have a subscription, only channel 1 & 0 will display.
Ch 1 is a continuous audio ad for their service, while Ch 0 displays radio ID with no audio track.

This^ (Ch 0) is what you want to tune to for your own aux input signal. It will work on Ch 1, but you'll have the bleed over ad audio, while Ch 0 is silent, just you.
It does not have XM from what I can tell without taking out the radio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:02 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
If you did, you'd have the antenna on the roof.

Later models, the XM and the On-Star was combined into one shark fin. Yours, they were two different antennas, one on the driver's side (fin) and another on the pass side (square?).

Not sure on other methods, but I would stay away from the FM type that Tee into the antenna feed. You won't be satisfied with the quality of the signal....unless you're a fan of weak AM signal listening.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
bummer...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:50 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_12 View Post
bummer...
Meh, not really.

Years ago, I had quickly grown tired of all of the scam tactics and cost for XM but also hated the continuous iHeart re-tune to the same song every 6 miles with FM.

So, I bought the iSimple kit to install, and then got delayed with other things, so it sat....waiting. My plan was to stream from the phone in the remote regions I traveled.

Sounds good, right?
Problem is, I realized that most of that area where I couldn't get a radio signal, so too was there limited phone service. Limited = text, no talk...and certainly no web access.

Years later, with the improvement of ear bud tech, I find those more desirable than the Bose system. They're noise canceling (truck road noise is non-existent), sound FAR better, and the networks have grown as the population has grown and the apps for music are endless now.

So I run with the buds most times now, it's just easier.
And mowing the lawn on the Rider with 'em.....brings a whole new level of enjoyment, not taught at the Hank Hill School of Lawn Care.

However, since it's going to be great weather (80s) thru T-day weekend, I've been considering delving into the kit and install it.....finally.

I'll probably wind up doing some trailer wiring stuff instead.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:50 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

My isimple kit lasted 6 months before it went on the fritz. Messed with all the electronics: doors, locks, windows, seats, gauges...tore it out and threw it away.

Im not a super stereo savvy person, so i just use a bluetooth fm transmitter, good nuff for me.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
Bluetooth fm for sure. What I use. Amazon has dozens of them for under 30 bucks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumadavis View Post
Bluetooth fm for sure. What I use. Amazon has dozens of them for under 30 bucks
What he said! There are plenty of good options down this road.

'18 Colorado ZR2 LWN 2.8L Diesel.

'09 Sierra 2500HD LMM CCSB--SOLD

'05 Silverado 2500 LLY CCSB--SOLD

Other:
'14 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
'19 Chevrolet Tahoe 6.2L

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Before I go digging into the interwebs... any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode