Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

PTO options ?

19K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  sambor 
#1 ·
Anybody ever use the pto ports on the allison 5 speed? Where can I find information on where to purchase and everything to install? I thinking a generator would be helpful so I dont lose bed space. Hydraulic pump would be nice too. But I figure with a generator I could run a pump, air compressor, and whatever else. Are there any horror stories using these ports?

#2 ·
GM set up the WT's to accept a pto. All the electronic controls are already installed.
If you don't have a WT it might be quite a job. The floor has to have a hump in it and you would have to figure out how to control engine speed.

#3 ·
The high idle should be easy, just a reflash and you can use the cruise control switches to activate. The hump in the floor to clear the PTO is probably the hardest part.

#4 ·
Not sure about that. I believe you have to turn on the pto system then use the cruise switches. If there is no pto option then how would you engage the system to control the speeds of which there is 3. On my trucks, set the p brake , turn on the pto switch, and then use the cruise switches. There is an electronic pto controller- on the 4500 it is under the R/H rear cab corner.
I don't know if all allisons have the drive gear installed for the pto. I'm sure someone on here knows nor do I know how the pto actually engages-- electronically?
All my trucks that were WT's had the pto option. Biggest problem with trying to install without the option I think will be the control system and the hump.

#5 ·
Not to derail your thread, but if AC power is what you're looking for you might be better served by a large inverter. Of course, this solution also depends on your charging system being able to put out sufficient power to match the maximum instantaneous draw on the inverter from your AC equipment/tools. I have a 3kw AIMS inverter-charger that works great; install details are in the link in my sig.

#6 ·
Not to derail your thread, but if AC power is what you're looking for you might be better served by a large inverter. Of course, this solution also depends on your charging system being able to put out sufficient power to match the maximum instantaneous draw on the inverter from your AC equipment/tools. I have a 3kw AIMS inverter-charger that works great; install details are in the link in my sig.[/QUOTE]

Im talking running heavy equipment or temporary power for a home, not just a drill or a few lights. I have inverters I charge drills and power work lights with. I have generators too but they all run on gas and take up space in my bed and they're heavy and a pain in the ass to load and unload by myself. Don't always have a ramp handy. I'll have to go to the dealership and see if anybody knows anything. Are all ptos the same, or would it have to be made specifically for the allison?

#7 ·
Im talking running heavy equipment or temporary power for a home, not just a drill or a few lights. I have inverters I charge drills and power work lights with. I have generators too but they all run on gas and take up space in my bed and they're heavy and a pain in the ass to load and unload by myself. Don't always have a ramp handy. I'll have to go to the dealership and see if anybody knows anything. Are all ptos the same, or would it have to be made specifically for the allison?
3kw is a lot more than "a drill or a few lights". You might be able to get up to 12kw from a PTO-driven generator though. But you should figure out how much power you need before deciding on the appropriate solution.

#8 ·
Only pto I know of is a Chelsey pto. If I remember correctly the mounting pads are pretty standard but I never put one on an Allison. Just so you can be familiar with the GM control and operation of a pto, go to GM upfitters.com and look at bulletin 120.
Lots more complicated than the 1950 Dodge power wagon I had with a winch driven by a pto. Had a big lever thru the floor to engage/disengage the pto from the trans.

#9 ·
I was reading on dieselplace forum some people claim gm stopped including the pto gears after '04 on light duty trucks. Like, they still have the ports but one of the gears are missing. They say you can install the gears. Is this true? I have an '05 2500hd. If thats the case then its almost not even worth it. It'd be like a $10,000 project.

#13 ·
That kinda defeats the purpose. The idea is not to sacrifice the bed of my truck for a generator. I want to have the pto bolted to the transmission bolted to a generator head underneath the truck on a 2500hd crew cab/long bed, which I am now learning is next to impossible being that there is hardly any room for the pto itself and the installation and setup is not only costly but insanely complicated.

#18 ·
You are right as to costs. The 1000 series allisons could have come with a pto drive gear or a tone ring for speed sensing. Allison actually issued a letter detailing how and requirements for pto installations on their trans. Plus , the pto could be operated in "converter" mode which is unlocked converter, or locked up converter. That is controlled by the operator.
Best bet might be to find a 3500HD WT with the pto option. All you need then is a unit and whatever you are going to run off of it. Allison does not recommend anything driven off pto like chaindrives/belts etc. and the weight of direct bolt on equipment is critical- has to do with the mount pad strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.