DIY _ thermostat Replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

DIY _ thermostat Replacement

Here is a DIY for replacing thermostats. This was done on an LLY truck, but I would imagine it is the same or similar across all platforms.

The thermostats are both located near the front center of the engine in between the alternator and AC compressor. Note, I removed my turbo noise suppressor, if you haven't you will need to remove that before starting. If you haven't already, drain a little bit of coolant (maybe 1 gallon). There is a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. REMOVE THE SURGE TANK CAP FIRST to remove pressure from the system, then replace surge tank cap and remove drain plug. This will allow somewhat of an air-lock so the coolant will drip out instead of spray.

1. Remove the turbo noise suppressor bracket and the wires held to it.

2. Remove the 12mm bolt holding the black coolant pipe to the thermostat housing

3. Remove the four 12mm bolts in the thermostat housing.

4. Now we need to loosen the black coolant pipe so we have some play in it. First remove the 12mm bolt holding the black coolant pipe to the drivers side head.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.0 KB, 2760 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (59.4 KB, 2714 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.9 KB, 2719 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (65.4 KB, 2713 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (68.4 KB, 2716 views)

2005 Black Duramax Crew Cab Short Box
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's ----SOLD-----

Now I drive a 2015 Chevy 1500 Z71 LTZ with the 6.2....for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

5. accessing the 2nd bolt on the coolant pipe is a PITA. First, unplug the two large engine electrical plugs. Then use a torx bit (I think a T-20) to remove the lower plug from the metal mount. Next LOOSEN but DO NOT REMOVE the bolt that is under the intercooler tube near the firewall that holds the electrical connectors to the head (see picture below)

6. Now remove the two remaining bolts holding the electrical connector bracket down.

7. With those two removed and the third loose you should be able to wiggle the bracket out of the way enought to loosen the 2nd bolt holding the coolant pipe to the head.

8. Now gently wiggle the thermostat cover loose, you may need to give it a light tap with a RUBBER hammer. I decided not to unattach the black coolant pipe from the thermostat housing, I was able to work around it. You can if you want, it's your choice. Once the thermostat housing is removed you will be able to see the thermostats.

9. Take the two old thermostats out and be sure to clean out all of the old rubber gaskets on the thermostats.

10. Install the new thermostats (the longer one in the front) and reinstall. Make sure the drain holes on the thermostat are to the rear of the truck.

Remove the bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing (circled in picture).

Add coolant to the coolant tank on the passenger side between the air box and battery. Mine took about 3/4 of a gallon.

When full, coolant will come out of bleeder screw, when this happens, replace bleeder screw and top off tank to appropriate level.

Hope that helps! It's a pretty easy task, only takes about 1 1/2 beers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (80.4 KB, 2661 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (69.3 KB, 2645 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (61.1 KB, 2634 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (57.6 KB, 2632 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (63.8 KB, 2633 views)

2005 Black Duramax Crew Cab Short Box
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's ----SOLD-----

Now I drive a 2015 Chevy 1500 Z71 LTZ with the 6.2....for now.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the write up. Whyd you decide to replace them? Overheating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM

i just replaced mine based off your directions... thanks a bunch! made it real easy. only thing to change is that the torx screws are t27 not t20.

thanks again

2005 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
-LBZ mouthpiece
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

thanks for the write up, i am about to do mine and will let you know how it goes

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
2006 LBZ (Regency Edition) sold

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM

so, for me the time was 1.5hrs, 3 beers (i drink them kind of fast!). great write up, helped alot. the only thing that i did differently was removed the oil fill tube, so that i could get to the housing and bleed screw easier.

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
2006 LBZ (Regency Edition) sold

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Used this to do mine on my 06 LBZ last weekend. Wasn't hard at all. Couple bolts were a pain to get to but I got it done. Thanks!

2006 Chevy CCSB 4x4 duramax LBZ
Cognito 4" TBD with steering braces
33" Toyo Open Country M/T's on 18" Weld Wheels
Linex bed
EFI Live w/towing tune
Edge Insight CTS
MBRP straight pipe exhaust
EGR blocked
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
rms

Excelent pics - bookmarking this.

Thanks!

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/70/17 Michelin AT's on H2's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - short KYB's - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Only 1.5 beers?? I'll get 2 down before I got the hood open
NHfireDmax likes this.

2008 GMC Dually LMM
6" lift 285/75R17 "E" TOYO M/T
Banks intake/DPFdelete with MBRP exhaust
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Premis, thanks for the write up. I notice mine not coming to operating temp anymore. And it comes up slowly.

What is the stock thermostat temps??

Barry USN (Ret)
07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 130K mi, Alligator Spade King W/ Edge Insight CTS2 , EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, Helmholtz Plug, DE DP, DEQT 4" TB Exh, TGo Jr, Allison D Pan, Suncoast FL, PPE Airbox Mod, FASS Titainium 150, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, H2 Wheels, 285 Tera Graps, Fab 4 Rear Bump, WT SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Nuvi 2797, Pintle Hook, TR sleeves, Cog. Pit/Id Arm Braces, Amsoil DB Filters, Prodigy P-3, Alligator TC Lines, MA TC Brace, Allison Stg V Trans./w SunCoast 1056 3DTC, Fleece AHO mod, and a lot mure little stuff
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 EcoDiesel w/GDE Eng&Trans tunes
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. ' - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode