How To: Make Mirror Signal LED's Dual Function As Running Lights and Blinkers - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM

Bump

Do any of you make/sell the 4: 3 amp 200 piv diodes and 2: 68 ohm resistors all assembled as how bsul92 shows in his Youtube video. Ive never been great with this sort of stuff, installing these if they are already properly assembled will be easy for me, but when it comes to ohms/diodes id rather have someone more experienced than me handle this.

If you do, message me please, would like to install this on my 05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:31 AM

This was easy as all heck to do, love the look now
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Subbed for later. But I think my eBay mirrors have different wiring? Has anyone run into the same problem?

SOLD- 02 ECSB LB7- R.I.P.

2005 CCSB Z71 Silverado, Factory 5.3, 06 Front Clip, Cooper AT3/Ion 171's, Too Many LED'S....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Great write up/video. Need to find a set of tow mirrors first.
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Tried to pull apart my ebay cheapiest, ended up breaking a mirror.... So i ordered some Boostautoparts prewired dual function mirrors, priced reasonable and quick shipping. Thinking next week ill get to mounting them up.

2008 Silverado 3500HD LTZ LMM CCLB DRW:

Limitless Built trans, Diamondback ATV bedcover, Maghytec pans, Amp powersteps/bumper step, weathertechs, FASS liftpump, ATP EFI Live, 5" straightpipe, SDP 3" ybridge EGR delete, 3" downpipe, HIDs, Recon smoked lights all around, Beans sump, Edge CTS, DMAXstore driveshaft, MOVE DIY bumpers, 68G attatank, autometer EGT/boost gauges, banks hotside, DRP trans lines, DDP 4" intake, PPE trans cooler, mishimoto rad hoses, Rare HD tierods/pitman/idler arm/idler assembly, AirLift 5100, 6" Zone lift, Eagle Alloy 054s wrapped in 275/65/20 SST Pros, Main Event Emblems, Overkill fab grille, HSP billet manifolds/uppipes, LFS traction bars, 2015+ mirrors
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM

the wire you showed in your video on my ebay mirrors is grey. mine also have the mirror side signal. If I do this are my mirror arrow lights going to come on as markers as well?

04.5 Chevy LLY Dually

Sinister EGR delete, PCV reroute. S&B intake with mouthpiece, 5" straight pipe, ATP tunning, Edge CTS insight, 6" Zone lift, 35" tires, FASS 165 lift pump, FASS suction tube, Titan tan.
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsul92 View Post
In this tutorial, you will learn how to make the signal leds in your mirrors dual function as running lights and blinkers. This will work on any 03-06 mirror with a signal. It is geared towards aftermarket tow mirrors with the amber Leds on the side. It will work n mirrors with red arrows, however i advise against that.

This tutorial is for 2003-2006. If enough people want, i will do one on 2007-2013 as it is a different procedure. What you're going to need:

4: 3 amp 200 piv diodes (radioshack)
2: 68 ohm resistors (radioshack)
Screwdriver
Solder/Solder Iron
Wire Strippers AND Wire Cutters (For cutting hard to reach wireties)
Electrical Tape
Wire Ties
Socket Wrench with 6" Extension
9/32 Bit & Torx T20 (For removing Door panel)
10MM Socket (For Removing Mirror)
15' Wire (16 Gauge is fine)

Ok first thing youll need to do is remove the door panel. 1AAuto Made a great video of that if you dont know how.
How To Install Replace Remove a Door Panel Chevy Silverado GMC Sierra 03-06 1AAuto.com - YouTube

On your mirror hatness, there should be two plugs, One black and one blue. We will need to tap into the Blue/White wire in the Blue plug.

Step 1: Solder a diode in line on the blue wire.

Step 2: Solder a diode in so it goes the same way as the other diode, but meets the blue/white wire after the first diode. (I know this is hard to explain, see wiring diagram for details)

Step 3: Solder a 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in on the front side of the diode in step 2.

Step 4: Tap into the front left parking light wire, run a wire into the cab and into both doors. It will connect to the 68 ohm resistor.

Wiring Tap Diagram:

Here is a detailed video showing where i tapped and where i ran wires.
GM Towing Mirror Mod (Running/Blinker Dual Function) - YouTube

It is really simple to do, and it looks great on the truck. Mine have been on for about a week, and 5 people have stopped me and ask how i did it. So im sure this will be of use to some people. Heyyaa
Did you do a writeup for 2007-2013 models?
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Does anyone have I'll instructions for on how to wire a 2008 Duramax Diesel?
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
This is fantastic!
I love the idea of wiring in the diode at the plug in at window switch, instead of prying off the mirror glass and stuffing it in there.
I have a snag though.
I am putting 2015+ mirrors on my 2006.
What color wire do I add in the diodes? I don't have a blue with white tracer wire in the blue plug in. If nobody knows what color wire to use, how about which pin position I should use?
For those of you who pulled the running light signal off of the window switch, which wire did you tap into? I don't want to run a wire all the way to the fuse block under the hood to find a running light. I probed all the fuses on the left of the dash inside the cab, and none of them come on just with the running lights.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights with Morimoto mini H1 7.0 projector retrofit, Morimoto 90mm LED fog lights, 2Stroke LED high beam bulbs, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console, full audio system
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula everything is modded
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
2013 Victory Motorcycles Highball
2006 Polaris IQ RMK 660 mod snowmobile
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
anyone? Going to start this project tonight.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights with Morimoto mini H1 7.0 projector retrofit, Morimoto 90mm LED fog lights, 2Stroke LED high beam bulbs, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console, full audio system
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula everything is modded
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
2013 Victory Motorcycles Highball
2006 Polaris IQ RMK 660 mod snowmobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in