How To: Ice Pick Injector Harness/ Connectors - Page 11 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Hello!
Glad you got it up and rolling!

When this happens it's caused by an intermittent loss of connection to the injector. As a safety feature the ECM turns off 4 injectors and only runs on 4 injectors to prevent damage. The injector solenoid going bad and making the ECM think that it lost connection is extremely rare. Chances are the plug is just loose. Replacing the pigtail with GMs updated harness will essentially bide you some time until it happens again. GM looked at it as a design issue with how short the wire is going to the plug. However the connector itself is what is actually loose and causing the intermittent connection. So no, replacing the pigtail won't fully cure the problem, but it may prolong it until the new connector loosens up.

The codes staying on is sign that the ECM sees something wrong with the circuit itself. Being as to how it won't go away and the truck still runs and doesn't go into tractor mode it's not shorting to ground anywhere due to the harness rubbing through, but the power wire feeding the injector may have a high level of resistance or the injector solenoid is failing.

Personally I feel the ice pick method provides the tightest crimp to the injectors and keeps them tighter than the new connector does. A connector that has been ice picked is significantly harder to push him onto the injector connection than a brand new connector is.

Hope this helps clarify your issues a little bit. If anything is unclear or you need more direction please post back here.

Happy trucking! 🤘

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishfly View Post
I know I am picking up an old thread. This finally happened to me yesterday. After over 15 years since the truck was manufactured. I was in a hurry so did this instead:

Basically pushing the female connector in and crimping it. I still have some questions about either method:

1. Does this mean that the injector is confirmed good and its just the connector ? Or is it that the FICM relearned to run it with 7 injectors instead.
2. My codes are staying on even after clearing them (P0207 and P2146). Truck runs fine and no longer have the tractor sound. Should replacing with new pigtail connector help remove the codes ?
3. Whats the difference between the two methods ? One shown on youtube vs one shown in this thread ?
4. Should I even bother to do anything after the icepick fix ? I mean its crimped on good and don't see point on changing the pigtail or the harness.

2005 LLY CCSB LT2 4X4
Driven by Austin
ECM Tuned by Kory @PPEI
TCM tuned by Dustin @DA

Performance: Bullseye Power S468_83_.90/ Profab WG Pedestal/AFE 3" Intercooler Tubes hot&cold/ 3" Custom Y Bridge/ 4" Custom Downpipe/ Custom 5" LBZ S&B Intake/ Exergy Sportsman CP3/ Suncoast Gmax-5/ Precision Converter/ RDP Manifolds/Uppipes/ AirDogII 165 w/ CAT filter/RDP Sump/ 5" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe/ PPEI EFI tuning with DSP-5/ TCM tuned by [email protected]

Appearance: 20x9 +18MM XD Hoss/ 305/50/20 Nitto 420S/ 2" Rear Spacers/ TBSS Steering Wheel Swap/ Factory Touchscreen Navigation Swap/ 2 MTX 10" Subs/LED lows&fogs/ Recon LED tails/ Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors/ Reflexxion Cowl Hood/Color matched grill

Supporting: DMAXStore Kryptonite Engine Mounts/ DA Transfer Case Brace/Pump Rub/ Dirty Hooker Steering Brace/ DHD Hybrid Water Pump/ 3" Drop Shackles/ Belltech Shocks/ Autometer Cobalts EGT&Boost/Edge CTS/ Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods/ PCV Re-routed/ FPRV Shimmed/Red Head Steering Gearbox/ Tailgate EZ-Down/ 12K Badlands Winch (removable)

280K+ Miles of Smiles

On My:
2nd engine
3rd trans
2nd transfer case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
@Hook'em_Horns!
Hope all is well. Is there anyway this can be made into a sticky? I don't want to lose the pictures/info on this post if possible. Thanks!

2005 LLY CCSB LT2 4X4
Driven by Austin
ECM Tuned by Kory @PPEI
TCM tuned by Dustin @DA

Performance: Bullseye Power S468_83_.90/ Profab WG Pedestal/AFE 3" Intercooler Tubes hot&cold/ 3" Custom Y Bridge/ 4" Custom Downpipe/ Custom 5" LBZ S&B Intake/ Exergy Sportsman CP3/ Suncoast Gmax-5/ Precision Converter/ RDP Manifolds/Uppipes/ AirDogII 165 w/ CAT filter/RDP Sump/ 5" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe/ PPEI EFI tuning with DSP-5/ TCM tuned by [email protected]

Appearance: 20x9 +18MM XD Hoss/ 305/50/20 Nitto 420S/ 2" Rear Spacers/ TBSS Steering Wheel Swap/ Factory Touchscreen Navigation Swap/ 2 MTX 10" Subs/LED lows&fogs/ Recon LED tails/ Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors/ Reflexxion Cowl Hood/Color matched grill

Supporting: DMAXStore Kryptonite Engine Mounts/ DA Transfer Case Brace/Pump Rub/ Dirty Hooker Steering Brace/ DHD Hybrid Water Pump/ 3" Drop Shackles/ Belltech Shocks/ Autometer Cobalts EGT&Boost/Edge CTS/ Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods/ PCV Re-routed/ FPRV Shimmed/Red Head Steering Gearbox/ Tailgate EZ-Down/ 12K Badlands Winch (removable)

280K+ Miles of Smiles

On My:
2nd engine
3rd trans
2nd transfer case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode