How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install - Page 22 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 234 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

CA88 - I always encourage Duramax owners to periodically clean all their coolers, not just spray them with a garden hose, though that helps a little if the stack isn't too dirty. When you say Colorado, I'm assuming high altitude Colorado. You need to remember that at high altitudes the air is 'thinner' meaning less dense, and air that is less dense does not have the same the same capacity to remove heat from your cooling stack compared to more dense air, like at sea level. Also, humidity comes into play and Colorado high altitude generally has lower humidity than sea level. So I'm not surprised to see the temp levels you experienced. And I wouldn't be concerned as long as your fan clutch kicks on fully at some point and the engine cools down. If my engine went to 245, that's just too hot and I would strongly suspect the fan clutch to be defective. I think the highest my truck has ever been is 236 (high altitude, steep grade, pulling 5th wheel) and then lockup occurred and cooled down.

Another thing to remember is that your fan clutch lock up temp is not directly tied to your coolant temp. If your cooling stack is clean, the air flows equally through all parts of the stack and hits the fan clutch equally as well. If your cooling stack isn't clean, it will most likely block the airflow to the fan clutch and the fan clutch won't see the temps that the rest of the air coming thru the stack has, and consequently your fan clutch doesn't lock up when you think it should. Enough preaching.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 04-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks Ron. Sounds like a good time to replace the fan clutch. I guess I shoulda said southern Colorado. Pagosa springs. Still higher elevation but prolly not too crazy. Like I said earlier. The engine temp hovered around 220-230 almost the whole 12 hr trip and would engage randomly. Of course when temps were high. But not everytime they got up there and some of those times it would not stay engaged long enough for temps to go down enough. Which is what led me to think the clutch is goin out. And bout the water pump. I was just askin bout that since I’m almost to 200k miles and I’ll have the cooling stack outta the way. Didn’t know if it’s a ‘run it till it goes out’ type of thing.

*2007 Chevy Greystone Metallic 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LBZ
EFI Live by Idaho Rob DSP5, Transgo jr
Leveled, debagded, demolded
Thunderstruck front replacement bumper
285/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
Atwood gneck hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy 3 Brake controller
Stock exhaust cat and muffler deleted with 5" tip
And more to come…
*85 Chevy 2500 custom deluxe sclb 4" lift
Needs a little work here and there…

Last edited by CA88; 03-27-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #213 of 234 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron nielson View Post
i think the highest my truck has ever been is 136 (high altitude, steep grade, pulling 5th wheel) and then lockup occurred and cooled down.
136?

07.5 Bowtie CCSB Z: DHD trans lines, MH diff cover, MA Tranny filter cover. Transynd in the ally, AMSOIL everywhere else. Stock stance with 265/70-17 BFG KO

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Finally got to mine. Should have done it last winter when I did the injectors. I think a lot of it is from a drive across ND in the fall & the cat tail fuzz was blowing around IC doesn't look bad but the radiator had some build up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4954.jpg (91.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4953.jpg (112.4 KB, 32 views)

04 GMC LB7 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live from LDS, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
post #215 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 AM

I did my stack at 129K when I did the EGR delete and turbo swap. It needed cleaning too.
The coolant should be changed every 100K anyway.
If the water pump makes it I'm at 199K now... My plan for 229K is drop the coolant, break down the stack for cleaning, replace the water pump, idlers, belt, fan clutch then put it back together with fresh coolant.
1TRIKHD likes this.

2007 GMC 2500HD, Gear Alloy 712C Injector wheels on 285x65x18 BF Goodrich T/A KO2, Cognito leveling kit, Cognito suspension and steering upgrades, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass filtration, FASS 95GPH, Transgo JR, PCV Re-route, AFE cold air intake, Diamond Eye 3" down pipe, AFE DPF and CAT delete pipes, EFI Live tunes by Idaho Rob, EGR delete by ProFab, Danville 3794 Stage 2, Katzkin leather, Mean Green alternator
post #216 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA88 View Post
Thanks Ron. Sounds like a good time to replace the fan clutch. I guess I shoulda said southern Colorado. Pagosa springs. Still higher elevation but prolly not too crazy. Like I said earlier. The engine temp hovered around 220-230 almost the whole 12 hr trip and would engage randomly. Of course when temps were high. But not everytime they got up there and some of those times it would not stay engaged long enough for temps to go down enough. Which is what led me to think the clutch is goin out. And bout the water pump. I was just askin bout that since I’m almost to 200k miles and I’ll have the cooling stack outta the way. Didn’t know if it’s a ‘run it till it goes out’ type of thing.
IMO it would be a good time to do the water pump along with the fan clutch.

If you do change the pump, you have 1 of 2 routes to go if my memory serves me correctly......stockish/oem or aftermarket pinned.

Several diesel performance shops sell complete replacement sets

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
Diamondback HD Tonneau Cover
https://diamondbackcovers.com/
http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

post #217 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Thanks Nate.

Atwood gneck hitch
And more to come…
post #218 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Is there any special tools I would need to replace my fan clutch and water pump?

Atwood gneck hitch
And more to come…
post #219 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:07 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Spanner wrench for breaking loose the fan.

Water pump, nothing special...except that one of the bolts is behind the lower pulley....Sold as a pair (amazoid?) is the socket to fit and the flywheel lock tool. Not expensive.

Then you need something for that socket....I borrowed a 4' long 3/4 drive 600 ftlb torque wrench to break it loose. It's a beast, you need some leverage.

However, since you ask in this thread.....having removed the Rad and CAC, you'd have enough room where you could then use an impact wrench on it, vs the socket & breaker bar plus the neighbors two mules to pull on it.
CA88 likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 04-17-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #220 of 234 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Lol. Ok thanks hook.

Atwood gneck hitch
And more to come…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in