LBZ: HOW TO: Activate factory turbo brake - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Cool LBZ: HOW TO: Activate factory turbo brake (LMM too ;-))

Alright. I've been sitting on this for quite a few years and I've just been dragging my feet too much too get it out to the public. So, I'll get on with it.

Download:
Light Duty Elecrical manual (25-3500)
http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/ph...Electrical.pdf

Medium Duty Electrical manual (45-5500)
http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/ph...Electrical.pdf

In the Light Duty manual navigate to section C-14 thru C-15 which are pages 72-73 of the PDF. Take note of pin 11 and 53 of the C2 connector. Notice they say unused.

In the Medium Duty manual navigate to C-21 thru C-22 which are pages 80-81 of the PDF. Take note of pin 11 and 53 of this C2 connector. This manual says:
C2 pin 11 (exhaust brake telltale)
C2 pin 53 (exhaust brake control)

This is the thing that got me to thinking 4 or 5 years ago. We all know that the '06 and '07 MD trucks that have the RPO of LLY are actually packing an LBZ engine with an MD tune of only 280hp, (or something close, or whatever) while the '05.5 - '07 classics have the same setup but have the LD tune of 360hp. So, knowing GM is all about recycling parts, programs, computers and whatever else, I wondered if they left the logic for the Turbine Brake from the MD programs in the LD programs. So, on a hope and a dream I wired up my switch according to the diagram of the '07 MD w/ RPO LLY. Wouldn't you know it actually worked. They did leave the logic for the exhaust brake in the LD ECMs. HOWEVER, the brake only activates while the TCC is locked up, eg. T/H mode activated. Also, with the exhaust brake activated it sends the TCM into a more aggressive down shifting map. Being, what I would refer to as, a power user of EFI Live I also attempted creating a .cax file to add tunability of the brake, but it turns out you need ALOT more knowledge of binary addresses and such that I don't know. I inquired a fellow from NZ who has made cax files before for gasser but he couldn't help me. I inquired with Ross too, but I never got very far with him. He is an extremely busy fellow. Enough history. Here it is. Im not going to tell you how to make a switch, and I'm not going to tell you what the part numbers are for the ECM pins. But I will tell you how it works and what you need to do to get it to work.

The way it works.

When C2 pin 53 is grounded this arms the exhaust brake. When all conditions are met the brake will activate. (vanes close to 100%) When the exhaust brake is actively braking pin 11 of C2 is activated sending 12v to a lamp if you choose. IT IS IMPORTANT to use an incandescent lamp and NOT an LED to act as the telltale. I originally used an LED as my lamp and it was causing some sort of fault with that subsystem making the brake engage and disengage rapidly, switched out to an incandescent lamp and it solved the problem.

Quick FAQ:

Q. Do I have to have EFI Live to make this work?
A. Nope. This is a factory loaded feature. However, EFI guys will love being able to have 5 tunes with and without the turbine brake instead of making one tune with the brake and 4 tunes without.

Q. Will this work on my 06 LLY/ Bosch controlled LLY?
A. Yes. I have tried it on a few different OS's and an 07 classic. I haven't ever flashed the newest, so I cant say about that one.

Q. Will this work on my '04.5 to early '05 LLY?
A. Yes and no. It (the ECM) doesn't use the turbine for braking. Instead, just like the MD's for that year range use a flapper in the exhaust to act as the brake. I have tested it and it does power a pin to activate a solenoid for the flapper valve on the LD trucks. Figure it out for your self. Apply the knowledge learned here to your LLY and you'll figure it out.

Q. Does this work for LMM's?
A. UPDATE: I have gotten a few reports now of this mod working on LMM's. One truck was an '08 and the other was an '07.5. At this point I don't have any other information as to what OS is on either of those trucks so I can't say for sure what works and what doesn't.
A. I have done very little messing around with it on an LMM years ago and I cant tell you which OS I did it on, but the logic in the ECM is there but doesn’t activate the brake. It does send the TCM into the same down shifting pattern as the LBZ but nothing happens with the turbo. Again mess with it your self maybe you can figure it out.

Happy braking!

Just for kicks here are a couple of pics to help you folks find the correct pin locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140505_163136.jpg (143.5 KB, 2535 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140505_163322.jpg (180.9 KB, 2505 views)
BIOTEC, 407driver and Wicked_08HD like this.

'06 LBZ/LCT1000, EC, LB, 1LT
SHOW: Cognito leveling - 1" rear blocks - Bilstein 5100s - Powder Coated Satin Black H2's w/ satin black '08 caps - 285/70/17 BFG A/T's - Powder-coated flat black ProTech Headache Rack - Line-x over-the-rail - Infinity Reference 10" Sub with Pioneer 300 watt amp - Fronts tinted to match - De-badged - Eagle eye Back-up light mounted on headache rack
GO: EFI Live w/DSP5 - Factory LBZ Exhaust Brake - PTO High Idle Mod - BD Full Bore - TransGo Jr. - TTS Dual lift pumps - Alligator Blocker Plate - MBRP 4" turbo back - Custom air box mod - BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties EFI By ME
Get your FACTORY LBZ/LMM exhaust brake here

Last edited by bballer182; 01-17-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Interesting

Thank you this is very interesting and useful.
BlackshirtDMAX likes this.
post #3 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

So i get it if you dont know something not to tell the guys but to just not tell them because you might some year try to make money off of it even know you already said you have been dragging your feet for 5 years already. Why dont you just give them all the info instead of half of it? Just my .02 and this doesnt even affect me. Just seems to me from your wording that you have a lot more info but dont wanna give them the info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Black GMC Denali HD 3500 CCSB SRW
Fully Deleted at 4100 miles 5" Flo pro straight pipe exhaust.
2013 Denali HD http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ve...ramax%20Diesel
The obsession has begun!

SOON TO COME "ORDERED"
Fuel Maverick D538 20x10 -12
Nitto Trail Grappler M/t's 37x13.50r20
RCX 7.5" NTBD Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxftw View Post
So i get it if you dont know something not to tell the guys but to just not tell them because you might some year try to make money off of it even know you already said you have been dragging your feet for 5 years already. Why dont you just give them all the info instead of half of it? Just my .02 and this doesnt even affect me. Just seems to me from your wording that you have a lot more info but dont wanna give them the info.

X2. Wtf ?

2007.5 ccsb Chevy 2500hd, white LT, 4" DE turbo back exhaust. 3" down pipe With magnaflow duals. S&B intake, Dsp5 Efi live, egr delete. Danville 3794 stage 2. ported fuel rail fitting, shim kit, raptor 150 , Nicktane filter adapter w/ cat 1r-0750,tinted tails. Sleeves. PPE braces. Turbo brake switch, .
post #5 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxftw View Post

Dunno what ur talking about hommie. I just gave all the info I have. This thread is a cut and paste from DP. Seems to be a pretty big hit over there. I'm more than willing to answer any questions anyone has. I've got way too much on my plate right now to find and list pin part number or how to get them. That info is all over the place in other threads and on other websites. I guess while we are on the subject. If you have invented something or discovered something that litteraally no one has ever done before, why wouldn't you try to make a buck or two on it? Its called free market and capitalism. It makes the world go around. Anyways its free info now. So I don't know why anyone would be complaining. And I also hate how people just want to have everything (information) handed to them on a silver platter instead of doing a little research on their own. People need to think and ponder more. If they did the world would be a better place.

Happy braking!
BIOTEC, Awalker, Lagotz and 1 others like this.

SHOW: Cognito leveling - 1" rear blocks - Bilstein 5100s - Powder Coated Satin Black H2's w/ satin black '08 caps - 285/70/17 BFG A/T's - Powder-coated flat black ProTech Headache Rack - Line-x over-the-rail - Infinity Reference 10" Sub with Pioneer 300 watt amp - Fronts tinted to match - De-badged - Eagle eye Back-up light mounted on headache rack
GO: EFI Live w/DSP5 - Factory LBZ Exhaust Brake - PTO High Idle Mod - BD Full Bore - TransGo Jr. - TTS Dual lift pumps - Alligator Blocker Plate - MBRP 4" turbo back - Custom air box mod - BullyDog Outlook Monitor

Last edited by bballer182; 01-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
post #6 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by o7lmm View Post
X2. Wtf ?

And you.... Why don't you give it a shot and play with it? It might work. like i said in the OP i tried it out on an 07.5 but have no idea what OS it had on it. Maybe yours is different, and it will work. Then you'd be a hero.

post #7 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
And you.... Why don't you give it a shot and play with it? It might work. like i said in the OP i tried it out on an 07.5 but have no idea what OS it had on it. Maybe yours is different, and it will work. Then you'd be a hero.
I will give it a shot. Be pretty cool for those who don't have efi live!

2007.5 ccsb Chevy 2500hd, white LT, 4" DE turbo back exhaust. 3" down pipe With magnaflow duals. S&B intake, Dsp5 Efi live, egr delete. Danville 3794 stage 2. ported fuel rail fitting, shim kit, raptor 150 , Nicktane filter adapter w/ cat 1r-0750,tinted tails. Sleeves. PPE braces. Turbo brake switch, .
post #8 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Also the links not work for me. Anyone else?

post #9 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I was not complaining at all, just some of the wording made it seem like other than just part numbers you were holding back more info but giving the basics is all. And to be honest idc about the info i drive an lml and its got an exhaust brake stock. Although i do hope somebody on here does it and gets it to work and comes back with positive feedback. Good material to have for sure. I wasnt trying to jump your shit just seemed like you were saying here guys but I'm not telling you everything your gonna need to know. And yes capitalism is great.

2013 Black GMC Denali HD 3500 CCSB SRW
Fully Deleted at 4100 miles 5" Flo pro straight pipe exhaust.
2013 Denali HD http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ve...ramax%20Diesel
The obsession has begun!

SOON TO COME "ORDERED"
Fuel Maverick D538 20x10 -12
Nitto Trail Grappler M/t's 37x13.50r20
RCX 7.5" NTBD Lift.
post #10 of 917 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by o7lmm View Post
Also the links not work for me. Anyone else?

Hmm. I'll see why. Maybe I'll have to host the files and post new link. that website might also not support direct linking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in