How To: Add Cabin Air Filters - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I know, I laughed at the 'kit' term too. Open the GM 'kit' box, it's 1 piece of plastic and a small screw.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Bringing this post back, but I have the other style air filter box on my 2006 2500hd and there is no slot for the end of the filter cover and the screw hole is raised up from the edge of the bottom. How do I proceed here? I got the other style cover as well but don't see how it could work
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Can you post a pic of yours?
This HOW TO was on an '07 LBZ, they should be the same HVAC unit.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

sub'd

2006 ccsb chevy silverado
EFI live from tony! Edge Insight for info - Soot free -Banks intercooler, banks hot side pipe, AFE stage 3 intake, -MBRP 3 inch down pipe MBRP 4 inch straight pipe no kitty and no muff -5 inch tip - Titan 52 gallon tank -Air Dog II 165 GPH - ready lift indexed keys - XD tie rods - kryptonite UCA - kryptonite idler pivot - cognito braces - 285/75/16 general grabber AT2 - bilstein shocks - PCV reroute - Defient big transmission lines - trans go jr. MA pump rub fix.- reflex spray in bed liner over the rail. access cover on bed
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlipton72 View Post
Bringing this post back, but I have the other style air filter box on my 2006 2500hd and there is no slot for the end of the filter cover and the screw hole is raised up from the edge of the bottom. How do I proceed here? I got the other style cover as well but don't see how it could work
Same issue for me I guess if I attempt this. I have an 06 2500HD as well. I have never liked the lack of a filter. Every summer out here I get to enjoy the smell of mildew. I can only guess it's a design flaw as the condensation is not. Allowed to spill out.

When I saw the thread, I was excited about the chance to install one. I'll have to crawl in there and see what's up. It'll be a tight fit for me too! Ha.
post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsryker View Post
Same issue for me I guess if I attempt this. I have an 06 2500HD as well. I have never liked the lack of a filter. Every summer out here I get to enjoy the smell of mildew. I can only guess it's a design flaw as the condensation is not. Allowed to spill out.

When I saw the thread, I was excited about the chance to install one. I'll have to crawl in there and see what's up. It'll be a tight fit for me too! Ha.
Pull the cover off and see what you have....take a pic and share. This idea stemmed from a mod done on an '05 LLY

It's not a design flaw as far as the odor. It's a combination of dirt/debris collecting on the evap coil, restricting air flow and hardly ever drying out, and the mold/mildew follows.

If you find that this mod doesn't work, follow this 'HOW TO' and clean your evap coil instead.
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/di...evap-coil.html

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-03-2015 at 07:19 PM.
post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:04 AM

Great write up!!
post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Pull the cover off and see what you have....take a pic and share. This idea stemmed from a mod done on an '05 LLY

It's not a design flaw as far as the odor. It's a combination of dirt/debris collecting on the evap coil, restricting air flow and hardly ever drying out, and the mold/mildew follows.

If you find that this mod doesn't work, follow this 'HOW TO' and clean your evap coil instead.
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/di...evap-coil.html
Thanks Hook'em. I plan to do this. I did your PS and Brake flush this weekend and the honey-do's have stacked up so this will have a wait a bit but I'll try to report back with my findings.

Reading through the condenser cleanup link you provided and I'm wondering if you would recommend waiting till the weather warms up. We actually had snow this week and it's still sticking. (Global warming!! Hahaha!!) anyhow, I'm thinking the condenser won't gen the moisture required to "self flush". Thoughts?
post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

It may not. The AC runs when you're using the Defrost, but I don't know how much condensation it produces under those conditions.

This HOW TO was based on a forum veteran over on DP, which originally used 1" (or 1-1/4") aluminum flat stock for the cover, adding the peel-n-stick foam weatherstripping to the edges for a seal. IIRC though, that screw boss was still there and used in the process.

However, if you find that you do not have the screw boss or the slot for the tab insertion, I don't see why you couldn't still pull this mod off (adding filters) using alum flat stock and screws to hold in place.

Something to ponder. But pull the cover off and take a look-see, it's only 3 screws to remove for a look. If it looks to be a go, just leave the cover off until you can get to it, it's just aesthetic in function.

WAIT!
In hindsight, you don't even need to pull the cover to see, just drop the glove box door as shown in the coil clean DIY and you should be able to view the screw boss.

post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Sub'd

2007 LBZ CC/SB
100% Stock... for now. Build thread coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode