How To: DIY - Injector cleaning - Page 157 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1561 of 1570 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Seafoam is mostly isopropyl, which in a diesel tank is a no-no. It has Naptha and mineral oil...

I wouldn't put Seafoam in a diesel ever, much less run it on it.

The BG 22932 can be had for about $30/bottle and you'll need 2. It's already mixed with diesel and ready to go with the best cleaners money can buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1570 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboom929 View Post
Seafoam is mostly isopropyl, which in a diesel tank is a no-no. It has Naptha and mineral oil...

I wouldn't put Seafoam in a diesel ever, much less run it on it.

The BG 22932 can be had for about $30/bottle and you'll need 2. It's already mixed with diesel and ready to go with the best cleaners money can buy.
Definitely gonna try the BG products on the next injector cleaning interval.

Too late on the seafoam, already did a cleaning with it last night, I went about 50/50 diesel and seafoam. And then replaced the fuel filter.

I could tell immediately how much quieter the truck is...the injector noise and the whole engine seems quieter. Seemed to work almost as well as the BMW/x66p.

Gonna go with BG next in about 5000 miles or so.

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD - LB7 Extended Cab 2WD - Resurrected at 275k miles from roller, now 284k. - Bay Boat tow pig.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - LMM Crew Cab 2wd 6.5' bed. New bay boat tow pig.
post #1563 of 1570 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBstunter View Post
i just went to do this and the ACDELCO upper engine and injector cleaner has been discountined... atleast here in canada. any alternatives??
Yep, as far as I know it is discontinued in USA now as well.
P/Ns 88861802 became 88861803 in USA, 88861804 was here in Canada.

If anyone does need some, I bought the last of the stock out here in Newfoundland (one of the dealers had 11 bottle on the shelf) keeping most for my self, but will put a few bottles on ebay.

Great stuff, a shame it was discontinued! I guess they prefer to sell injectors, better profit margins!

2005 Sierra 2500HD, LLY D-Max, EGR Delete, PCV reroute, EFI Live tuning, AFE cold air intake, AFE exhaust (Cat delete), turbo mouth piece, lift pump, Edge Insight CS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1570 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:32 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I got a bottle of the GM cleaner...I in plugged the 3 connectors from the stock lift pump on my Van. There is a 15 amp fuse and a relay labled fuel pump. Is the CP3 pump mechanical? Also what is a closed fuel system?,...the two lines in the bottle recirculating? Also I had two very loose connections I fixed at the lift pump. One was the stiff line from the lift pump/filter to the large filter. The other was the 1/2" line connection to the lift pump. Getting the old seals out tricky ( I made a tool from a fork...and finding o-rings correct size was not easy...but now the connection is excellent. Could be the whole problem...P0087. Will now if not misfiring when I start the cleaning... Will start cleaning about 3 hours from now. Thank for any input. Also internet say more concentrated solution will not work better just waste...
post #1565 of 1570 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:48 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The CP3 is totally mechanical in the way it pumps. The fuel pump relay is for the lift pump.

A close fuel system doesn't have any external venting that isn't controlled. Many older vehicles have straight atmospheric venting that lets any vapors produced escape. Modern engines have sealed systems to reduce pollution. The system is called EVAP which is sort of a contraction for EVAPorative emissions control. The gummament didn't want hydrocarbons just evaporating into the air all of the time. Diesel didn't have EVAP until long after gas engines because diesel doesn't evaporate as much but anything you can smell is evaporating so eventually the EPA said diesels had to have sealed systems too.

When you ask questions you sometimes assume that we know what you are talking about when we don't. I don't know what you are talking about ",...the two lines in the bottle circulating?" What two lines? What bottle? What circulation?
post #1566 of 1570 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I don't know if I ever posted an update. I used the GM cleaner with high hopes, but it did nothing for the hazing. I ended up swapping out the injectors and that was the fix. A couple of them looked really really bad.

2004 Silverado LT 3500 crew cab dually Duramax 4x4
post #1567 of 1570 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 AM

Yeah, the cleaner is a great product, but it can only solve a problem if it is related to dirty injectors. If there has been rust or sand particles (something hard) running through, the injector wears, and no cleaner out there will fix one that is worn.

I always start with the cleaning procedure, just to try it out, if it works, great just saved a pile of money, if it doesn't, well, your not out that much (unless you bout the $200 bottle on ebay… ouch).

At least you are up and running now!
zrickety likes this.

2005 Sierra 2500HD, LLY D-Max, EGR Delete, PCV reroute, EFI Live tuning, AFE cold air intake, AFE exhaust (Cat delete), turbo mouth piece, lift pump, Edge Insight CS2
post #1568 of 1570 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 AM

An add on to my previous post...

- or an injector with a shit ton of miles... they do eventually wear out! LOL

post #1569 of 1570 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
The CP3 is totally mechanical in the way it pumps. The fuel pump relay is for the lift pump.

A close fuel system doesn't have any external venting that isn't controlled. Many older vehicles have straight atmospheric venting that lets any vapors produced escape. Modern engines have sealed systems to reduce pollution. The system is called EVAP which is sort of a contraction for EVAPorative emissions control. The gummament didn't want hydrocarbons just evaporating into the air all of the time. Diesel didn't have EVAP until long after gas engines because diesel doesn't evaporate as much but anything you can smell is evaporating so eventually the EPA said diesels had to have sealed systems too.

When you ask questions you sometimes assume that we know what you are talking about when we don't. I don't know what you are talking about ",...the two lines in the bottle circulating?" What two lines? What bottle? What circulation?
I assumed the two lines he was referring to were the supply and return lines that you stuff in the bottle of cleaner mix.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chad
04.5 4x4 ~160k miles
DE 4", 5100s, LBZ MP, S&B LBZ air, KoryWillis Go-go Juice, Insight CTS, ADII, 8' Fisher, Highroller Ultimate Idler Arm, Profab delete, XD RareParts tie rods

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that... :taunt
post #1570 of 1570 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes! That is what I was referring to. It was nice to have an explanation of what a "closed system" is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode