AmsOil bypass filter install - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron LML View Post
I know that's been mentioned on the forum before. I don't exactly know what the outcome was if someone did it. I figure if you gotta go under the truck to drill a hole in the pan, tap threads in it, and hope a new drain plug doesn't leak, (which I've never had good luck fixing leaking drain plug issues on oil pans on previous vehicles) you might as well do the easy removal of the crossmember, one other bolt that's in the way of the removal of an oil pan bolt, and replace the factory pan with an aftermarket flat bottom pan. Of course the cost would be WAY more than an install of a drain plug, but for me it'd be worth not having to screw around with drain plug oil leaks.
The oil pan on the Duramax is multiple pieces. The one with the drain plug is the lower and only has vertical bolts. The upper pan (the one that goes to the front) requires removing the transmission and possibly the flywheel as the oil pan as it has horizontal bolts into it from the back of the engine. I got lucky when I had to change the rod in mine and found a socket that fit between the flywheel teeth to pull the bolts.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Great job man.

I've installed the BMK27 and PPE flat pan on my LML. Best thing I've done as far as longevity and feel good maintenance has gone. Filters are expensive, but 1 oil change a year I can handle the cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170329_222537_1516420514286.jpg (36.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20170329_222529_1516420613428.jpg (34.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20180119_220838_1516421357845.jpg (18.5 KB, 89 views)
Lake Huron LML and FLTtest25 like this.

2012 GMC Denali 2500HD
GDP EZ LYNK tunes w/SOTF//Fuelab Velocity 200//RDP Sump w/ return//Fleece CP3 Conversion//S&S 12mm CP3 pump
PPE down pipe & race manifolds & up pipes & oil pan & trans pan & front/rear diff covers & silicon coolant hose kit
WCFab 4" intake Y-bridge intercooler piping coolant tank upper coolant line
Mishimoto Radiator & Intercooler//Amsoil By-pass filtration kit//Diamond Eye 5" exhaust//Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear & Steering Stabilizer
2018 project plans: Suncoast billet transmission build
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM
HWI

Are there any aftermarket filter options for this unit? I know Baldwin makes bypass oil filters that are nearly a quarter of the price of the EABP100 bypass filter, but not sure if they are compatible.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:56 PM

No idea. There probably are. But for one oil change a year I'll stick with Amsoil.

2012 GMC Denali 2500HD
GDP EZ LYNK tunes w/SOTF//Fuelab Velocity 200//RDP Sump w/ return//Fleece CP3 Conversion//S&S 12mm CP3 pump
PPE down pipe & race manifolds & up pipes & oil pan & trans pan & front/rear diff covers & silicon coolant hose kit
WCFab 4" intake Y-bridge intercooler piping coolant tank upper coolant line
Mishimoto Radiator & Intercooler//Amsoil By-pass filtration kit//Diamond Eye 5" exhaust//Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear & Steering Stabilizer
2018 project plans: Suncoast billet transmission build
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:50 PM

Garage
Great job of the installation.....

However, am I correct in saying that you've only used ONE of the Amsoil brackets to hold the head unit to your own thick mounting plate?

I realize that your set-up was older and in storage for a few years, so maybe Amsoil didn't originally supply the TWO brackets at that time.

They do now....and they HIGHLY RECOMMEND that both brackets be used to hold the head unit. There is a heck of a lot of weight on the 90 degree factory bracket when those 2 filters are full.

You can imagine, just by looking at it, that that bracket will eventually fail. The addition of the second bracket, that bolts onto the top will greatly relieve the stress on that lower bracket.

I think Amsoil changed their bracket set-up because some were breaking, causing catastrophic loss of oil. The one you have is shaped like an hour-glass and is designed to only be used on the under side of the head unit. The current/revised brackets are different and MUCH stronger. I strongly suggest you consider getting the top bracket to add to you existing one.

Cheers from Australia,

Roachie

2012 LML Duramax LTZ Crewcab. CSM canopy.
DPF delete. Edge CTS2 with accessories.
6" Procomp lift plus air bags with in-cab adjustment.
Mickey Thompson 305/70/R18; twin spares.
TUFF bullbar. Amsoil dual bypass filtration.
FASS 150 lift pump/filters + back-up Kennedy lift pump.
Bean's fuel tank sump kit. Titan 57 gallon tank.
Banks 4" straight thru exhaust and cold air intake.
Fyrlyt Nemisis 250 watt spot lights
EFI Live tunes with Shift On The Fly.
AirSafe Hitch, compressor and air horns
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachie View Post
Great job of the installation.....

However, am I correct in saying that you've only used ONE of the Amsoil brackets to hold the head unit to your own thick mounting plate?

I realize that your set-up was older and in storage for a few years, so maybe Amsoil didn't originally supply the TWO brackets at that time.

They do now....and they HIGHLY RECOMMEND that both brackets be used to hold the head unit. There is a heck of a lot of weight on the 90 degree factory bracket when those 2 filters are full.

You can imagine, just by looking at it, that that bracket will eventually fail. The addition of the second bracket, that bolts onto the top will greatly relieve the stress on that lower bracket.

I think Amsoil changed their bracket set-up because some were breaking, causing catastrophic loss of oil. The one you have is shaped like an hour-glass and is designed to only be used on the under side of the head unit. The current/revised brackets are different and MUCH stronger. I strongly suggest you consider getting the top bracket to add to you existing one.

Cheers from Australia,

Roachie
Yes, that's correct. I used one bracket and it was the one that came with the unit. Both filters hold a total of 1.5 - 1.75 quarts of oil. With the weight of the oil, filters, and system itself, there is a fair amount of weight hanging there, but it seems like the Amsoil bracket is pretty stiff. I'll have to call Amsoil and find out why they went with different mounting brackets.

So, here's the latest update. The weather warmed up, the monsoon set in and melted all the snow and washed away all the salt on the roads. I had to get my 5th wheel over to the dealer for some warranty work, so I pulled the truck out of winter storage, coupled up and took it for a 220mi round trip road trip. I took my temp gun with me to get some readings. I'm definitely changing the hoses out on my system. I was getting temp readings off the filter adapter at 170*, the hoses were in the 130* mark, and the filters were in the 140* range. Being it was a mild 50* outside, I can just imagine the temps are gonna climb when summer gets here.
As far as the rest of it, with these Michigan roads totally sucking right now, we managed to hit some pretty bad spots and flexed the suspension of the truck pretty well. I was a little worried the front torsion bar would make contact with the filter, or something would spring a leak, etc... Needless to say, everything worked flawlessly. I got home and crawled under the truck for some inspection and found some oil on the torsion bar, but it was some residual from when I converted all this over. Factory filter placement and design is pretty poor. Fords are mounted vertical and nothing in the way and same with the Cummins. But I don't have to worry about it anymore. As far as the oil visually being any more clean with the new filter system installed, I didn't check. I'll try to remember when I pull it back out to go and pick up the trailer.
FLTtest25 likes this.

2015 3500HD LTZ Crew, Dually, 4x4, B&W Turnover/Companion, Mag Hytech DD trans pan and read diff cover, bone stock
99 2500 Cummins in frame off restoration (slow process)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...sto-build.html
2017 Northpoint 375BHFS
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTtest25 View Post
Do you have any pictures?
Sorry about the slow response. I've been pretty sick but better now. I'll go out and get some decent pictures tomorrow and get them posted. Still a little weak but rolling around on the ground is easy!
FLTtest25 likes this.

07 GMC Sierra Classic (LBZ) Duramax Dually Crewcab 4X4, FASS Titanium 95, Ohio Diesel Parts Tank Sump, bypass engine oil filter, synthetic lubes; 84 Chevy 6.2L 1.25 Ton (Army CUCV) with Banks Sidewinder Turbo and Gear Vendor's Overdrive; 83 Chevy Suburban 6.2L 4X4; Retired Journeyman Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update... this setup lasted until July 8th last year. I was towing my 44' 5th wheel home and got within a mile and all of the sudden the dash lit up and alarm chimes going off like a 747 is going to crash. I looked down and saw low oil pressure on the DIC. I slammed the key off as fast as I could and watched $150 of amsoil pour out in the center of the road for a half mile as I coasted into my subdivision. I got the rig stopped in front of a neighbors house where a lake of oil started to form on the road. What a God [email protected] mess,... truck, trailer, road...
When I installed the kit I got the hose from an old guy that runs a reputable hose and fitting shop here locally. He said this hose is such a SOB to put on that I dont need clamps because it wont come off. He said they've installed this many times on machines in local factories with no issues. Yeah, well, it happened. And it almost cost an engine. What happened is the 90* adjustable swivel fitting on the side of the filter adapter came loose and turned downward which spit the hose off it that wasn't supposed to ever come off. I ended taking all this off and putting an AC filter back on it and filled it back up with oil. It took almost 2 gallons. I fired it up and instant oil pressure and no funny noises.
I'm gonna put it back on, but I'm really gun shy. So I'm doubling up on everything. Anything with threads is getting threadlock, with the exception of the filters of course. Everything is getting a little extra torque put to it. The hoses are getting replaced with the same hose that comes in the kit from amsoil. Squeeze clamps are going on instead of screw style hose clamps. And if there is enough room on the fittings I'm doubling up on the clamps too. And finally I'm throwing down a line of Markal security paint for quick, easy visual inspection.

2015 3500HD LTZ Crew, Dually, 4x4, B&W Turnover/Companion, Mag Hytech DD trans pan and read diff cover, bone stock
99 2500 Cummins in frame off restoration (slow process)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...sto-build.html
2017 Northpoint 375BHFS
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:09 PM

When I did my amsoil kit over 150k miles back, it came with a bitch of a fitting to put on the hose. You put the outer sleeve on over the hose, then thread the hose onto the fitting, then put the outer sleeve onto the fitting.

Check out section C on page 2 of the instructions. https://www.amsoil.com/products/bypa...MK27_BP258.pdf I think that's what mine looked like. Thus far no leaks. I think that was about 13 years ago.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 PM

Nice write up, thank you! This is in my future.

Kenneth a.k.a. lockcop 2007.5 LMM 2500HD ECSB 4 Wheel Drive
EFI AutoCal by Idaho Rob; DSP5 Switch In Power Port; Edge CTS2 with Pyro; Deviant Trans Lines from Alligator Performance; PPE Deep Trans + Oil Pan (TRANSYND), AFE Differential Cover + Trans Cooler from XDP; FASS T95 Lift Pump from Synthetic Motorsports; XD Tie Rods + Fumoto Valve from the DMAX STORE; ; POWERSTOP Z36 Drilled + Slotted;TIMBREN Suspension Enhancement System; Quad LED Fog Lights; OWENS diamond plate running boards; AERO 52 GAL Tank; Turbo Brake w/switch and light; Amsoil 20-50 Dominator Oil; Schaeffer Moly Grease, + Gear Lube; Temp Sensors In Oil Pan + Rear Diff; Dorman PS Cooler; Flowtie Emblem
Arizona Diesel Club #11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode