LML oem egt sensor relocation. - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

For those of you having trouble reading the sensor with your monitor here is what I have found so far.

I plugged both the sensors from my Pre and Post DPF into the Pre DPF plug. It will not read either sensor while plugged into the Pre location. I plugged both into the Post DPF plug nd they both functioned fine, and were readable on my EDGE CTS.

Clearly the Pre DPF system is faulty, most likely the plug itself.

Here is what Im going to try, in this order:

1. Take apart the connector on the Pre DPF sensor and see if it is dirty, clean it, and plug each individual wire into one sensor to see if it works. If it does I will reassemble the connector and try again.

2. If that fails Im going to try cutting off the plug for the Pre DPF and on the sensor and connect them directly without the connector. IF the system is good but the plug is bad this should work. Assuming it does I will solder the connections and heat shrink them.

3. If plan #2 fails I am going to get two wires larger than the wires to the plugs and solder them as extensions so I can use the Post DPF plug which I know works. Since the system is measuring resistance generated in the thermocouple based on heat on the bi-metal strips in that thermocouple the larger wires with good solder connections should not generate any additional resistance.

Hopefully one of the methods works, we shall see and I will report back the results.

I know, this seems like a lot of work but I am on a mission to MAKE it work. Wish me luck!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Good luck, but it could also be a short in the wiring up stream of the plug.. There is probably a reference voltage sent to sensor. But donít know for sure. Make sure you have that at the plug. If not your troubles may be farther up.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:34 PM

I just got home for a short time. I pulled down the Pre DPf plug and found I could not get deep enough to take it apart, but I looked at the two pins and they were black.

I used the small blade on a Swiss Army knife and scraped them each on both sides. Bits of black crud fell off of both pins on both sides. I then took a small micro file and scraped both flat sides as well as the thin sides of each pin. When I was finished both pins were copper colored on all sides. I then blew out the plug to get rid of that crud.

Prior to plugging in a probe my monitor read 1836. After I plugged in one probe the temp read 90. This was with the probe just lying on the ground. I plugged in the second probe and got the same reading, 90. The ambient temp is about 90 so I believe I got it.

Now all I need is time to drill and tap the manifold. Not sure when that will happen, possibly not for a couple weeks, but it seems the system is working just fine. Im one step closer to having an operational EGT monitor.

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-17-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 PM

I gave up on mine, just bought a egt gauge and installed it.

2014 2500 LML SRW
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrry261 View Post
I gave up on mine, just bought a egt gauge and installed it.
Im too hard headed to give up on most things until I have exhausted EVERY possible idea I have or suggestions I find reasonable.

There is also for me a sense of satisfaction in making things work the way they should or could.

In addition I HATE also the idea of a mere mechanical device defeating me. My Teutonic brain would never let me live it down.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm sticking to the minimaxx turned off those sensors story. Its the only thing that makes sense. I plugged all three in, multiple ways and it just wouldn't work.

2014 2500 LML SRW
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I'm sticking to the minimaxx turned off those sensors story. Its the only thing that makes sense. I plugged all three in, multiple ways and it just wouldn't work.
That is possible, the Minimax is a "canned" tuner? Not a customizable EFI Live tune?

If that is the case I would most likely want to contact Minimax just to confirm your suspicions.

What I wanted was the EGT, TFT and ECT all in the same Edge CTS display, which is what I will have now.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-18-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:04 AM

When tapping the hole, once it is drilled, besides loading the tap up with grease, do you keep the engine running?

I also had an idea of connecting up my shop vac to the exhaust to pull the chips down past the turbo up pipe. Obviously the engine would have to be off for this. Any thoughts on this idea?

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:20 PM

I started it and had it idled up. Chips blast you in the face so wear some protection.

2014 2500 LML SRW
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I started it and had it idled up. Chips blast you in the face so wear some protection.
Thanks, it is going to be a week and a half until I can get to it but I will post up the results when Im done.

Ive got a face shield so I will wear that, along with gloves and a long sleeve shirt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode