Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Suspension Lift Wise for a 3500 HD carrying a pop-up truck camper? (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/introductions/1001485-suspension-lift-wise-3500-hd-carrying-pop-up-truck-camper.html)

20Trooper 10-29-2019 09:49 PM

Suspension Lift Wise for a 3500 HD carrying a pop-up truck camper?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, all. My first post and a question: I recently purchased a solid 2007 3500 HD Duramax crew cab with a long bed specifically to carry an Alaskan pop-up camper so we can travel the West. We will get off road often, particularly in Utah. In anticipation of the camper installation, I had Firestone air bags installed. The truck had 20-inch wheels when I purchased it, and I recently bought 10-ply all terrain tires to handle desert terrain. The right tire lightly rubbed the wheel well before the camper was installed, but since installation it rubs right and left. And it feels like the shocks bottom out in the front.

With a 2,500-pound load on the truck, we'll go slow through tough, uneven terrain. But explore we will. I'm looking for a suspension upgrade to get the rig up off the tires, handle the desert and the give us a decent ride on highways.

Is a suspension lift kit a good move?

Suggestions appreciated.

mray 10-30-2019 03:15 AM

Welcome to the DF!

TN Denali 3500 10-30-2019 05:25 AM

Welcome aboard.

20Trooper 10-30-2019 06:55 AM

Thanks!

NHfireDmax 10-30-2019 08:04 AM

Nice set up... Been considering one of those ans selling my TT so I can town the jeep too

Any aftermarket kit should handle the load....

lifting with an increased center of gravity, obviously nothing too crazy, I'd stay at 3 -3.5" and under... Just enough to do what you need...

Do you have overload springs? make sure you order kit compatible with them if you do...

I installed the RC 3.5" kit and would have no concerns with a bed camper in it. I did add 2" blocks to rear instead of 1.5" because I still bumper tow... You have airbags so you should be all set. I also added HD tierod ends from Dmax store.

you don't have to crank the torsion keys fully to get 3.5" you can settle for 2-2.5 front and use the 1.5" rear and not be too tall. Just an example for you. Good luck..

You may look at adding upgraded sway bars depending how it drives w the camper...

NewGuyJosh 10-30-2019 06:54 PM

Welcome!

SST 1953 10-30-2019 07:48 PM

Welcome to the forum!