4Likes
  • 1 Post By HuckLB7
  • 2 Post By ALLY Cat
  • 1 Post By 407driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My first diesel

Well, I took the plunge and bought a Duramax. This is my first diesel so I am sure I will have a few simpleton questions soon. I bought a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 146k miles from an older gentleman who kept it garaged and maintained by the local diesel mechanic. He took care of it because I have never seen such a clean truck/car for its age. He added a 35 gal aux fuel tank to the bed and an electric fuel pump. He used it to tow from FL to IN and that is about it. I got it because I need to something toy tow some toys around (the Belair is not mine BTW). It is serving as my daily until I can get another vehicle out to me in the spring. I know gas engines... diesels, not so much. I just spent 20 mins looking at a drip from the oil drain plug and the breather tube on the front passenger side. Reading through the forum, that's normal (I guess). I just have to get used to it.

I might as well ask: Any good tips for me? It seems people are split on whether daily driving a diesel is a good thing.
Attached Images

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 - 146k miles - My 1st diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:25 PM

Welcome to the club! You can get a updated drain plug from Chevy that has a gasket built in for around $5 bucks, that fixed my drain plug drip. Sitting is bad, using and maintaining is good. Doesn't mean you have to drive it everyday, but I make sure my truck goes for a good drive at least once a weak. Change the fuel filter if you don't know how old it is. Change all the fluids for the matter if you don't have a record of them being changed from that local diesel mechanic.

[/SIGPIC]2003 2500HD Duramax
7" BDS set at 5.5, 35/1250 Toyo MT's on H2's, EFI live, Head stud's, intake/exhaust, lift pump

Last edited by Buschman; 11-16-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Welcome aboard.

2016 GMC DenaliHD Crew Cab 4WD DRW 3500, GAZ Summit White/H2Y Cocoa Dune, 5SA Denali, CF5 Power Sunroof, LML Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel w/ Allison 6 Speed Trans, Il6-I06 Audio System 8" Diagonal Color Touch W/Navigation & Intellilink, U42 Rear Entertainment System, Z82 Trailering Equipment Pkg, Z85 Heavy Duty Suspension, UY2 Camper/5th Wheel Trailer Wiring Provisions, Y65 Driver Alert Package, UD5 Front & Rear Park Assist, KB6 Heated & Vented Seats Driver & Front Passenger, JL1 Trailer Brake Controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 - 146k miles - My 1st diesel
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

That's a great looking truck! And super low mileage too, you got a good one!
Chris_12 likes this.

2003 CCSB LB7 GMC 2500HD D/A 4x4
Bought in '19 with 214k miles
Bully Dog tuner
Pro Flo exhaust
Leveled with Bilsteins
305/55/20 Falkens on LML 20s
Ranch Hand
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Welcome! Looks like a nice truck. I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve about 8 years ago, makes oil changes and taking samples easier and so far, it has never leaked.
407driver and Chris_12 like this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Since this is your first diesel you may be interested in this thread:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

I agree with the Fumoto drain valve.............Get the one with the 3/8" nipple so you can slip a hose on it to the drain pan, No more splashing oil issues. and no drips. It takes a bit longer to drain your oil but that gives you time to change the filter and lube the front end.
Chris_12 likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode