04 LB7 Issue - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Introductions Introduce yourself here

1Likes
  • 1 Post By long-time-dmax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation 04 LB7 Issue

Hey guys, look I have a 2004 LB7 Chevy 6.6L with 143k original miles. at idle it does have a blueish/white smoke and stopping at stop signs or red lights. driving it doesn't appear to smoke. I know that these year models were known for injector issues, but just want some advice as to what to check or look into before dropping a few thousand on injectors. I have changed all the filters, oil, and did the paper towel trick with the oil stick, didn't notice any fuel there but not going to say it isn't there. if it comes down to the injectors what's the best purchase for injectors? do I go with the Reman or new? Thanks in advance. Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Garage
LB7 Injectors Replacement

I'm no Duramax expert put I'm learning as I go and recently my injectors have gone bad on my 04 lb7 as well. After tons of research and talking to plenty of people they have all said to go with SAC injectors. I've heard a lot of guys on these forums talk about Lincoln Diesel Specialties injectors they have all the sizes and even full install kits if you plan to do them your self. The best part is that so far it seems that they have pretty good prices on their injectors...once again please don't take my word 100% because this I me talking from what others have told me and where researched has lead me. I hope this helps a little with your questions.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Classic symptoms of injector failure. If you want to delve into it further before tearing it down you'll want to check the injector balance. You can bring it to a shop and have them do it with their multi-thousand $ scanner or you can buy a bluetooth OBDII adapter from Walmart or Amazon for $15 to $50 and download Troque Pro app to your smart phone for $5.00 and do it yourself.

Having replaced the injectors in my truck 5 times (2 under warranty and 3 times myself), I wouldn't waste my money going OEM, new or reman. Strictly SAC. And now that Lincoln Diesel has SAC00 available, it's an even easier choice.
LB7_Kreg likes this.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 400,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the DF!

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Welcome aboard.

2016 GMC DenaliHD Crew Cab 4WD DRW 3500, GAZ Summit White/H2Y Cocoa Dune, 5SA Denali, CF5 Power Sunroof, LML Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel w/ Allison 6 Speed Trans, Il6-I06 Audio System 8" Diagonal Color Touch W/Navigation & Intellilink, U42 Rear Entertainment System, Z82 Trailering Equipment Pkg, Z85 Heavy Duty Suspension, UY2 Camper/5th Wheel Trailer Wiring Provisions, Y65 Driver Alert Package, UD5 Front & Rear Park Assist, KB6 Heated & Vented Seats Driver & Front Passenger, JL1 Trailer Brake Controller
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM

I have the same thing, blue/white smoke at a warm idle and after a cylinder test it diagnosed bad injectors. I’m not 100% on your issue but most of the time on these engines it’s always the injectors.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghfarmer View Post
I have the same thing, blue/white smoke at a warm idle and after a cylinder test it diagnosed bad injectors. Iím not 100% on your issue but most of the time on these engines itís always the injectors.
Ha! It's always injectors!!!! In 400k miles, that's THE only thing besides 1 water pump and a leaking oil cooler gasket that's ever been touched on my motor. I had an intake air heater code once. I ordered the relay and cleared the code but the code never came back. The relay is still sitting on a shelf in my shop.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 400,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:26 AM

Blake Alderman, you should understand, that sometimes it depends on Android version, sometimes just hardware of bluetooth adapter. The first thing I always do before making a purchase of such things - read reviews (like this review of obd2 on https://bestforacar.com), watch 10+ videos of usage and testing of each adapter I like (on youtube, etc...). And after collecting all these necessary data - I can make a right choice. There is no need to hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode