New guy needing help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Introductions Introduce yourself here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

New guy needing help

Hey everybody, so my father passed away and i’ll be getting his 07 2500 duramax new body. it came factory without DEF and i’m unsure which motor designation it is. i need to find this out because right now it’s getting roughly 9mpg on the highway bone stock minus new wheels and very slightly bigger tires. i know he mentioned before he had this problem and find some fuel treatment to get it back up to 17 but he never told me what it was. i’m in desperate need of help and can’t focus much time researching because i’m dealing with taking care of everything after his death, plus a divorce involving kids. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking882007 View Post
Hey everybody, so my father passed away and iíll be getting his 07 2500 duramax new body. it came factory without DEF and iím unsure which motor designation it is. i need to find this out because right now itís getting roughly 9mpg on the highway bone stock minus new wheels and very slightly bigger tires. i know he mentioned before he had this problem and find some fuel treatment to get it back up to 17 but he never told me what it was. iím in desperate need of help and canít focus much time researching because iím dealing with taking care of everything after his death, plus a divorce involving kids. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
this wiki page has all the VIN characters for each engine model, look at the 8th digit and then look up the letter or number below. If you have no DEF, its probably a OLD body 07, as far as i am aware there are no factory new body 07 trucks without DEF. the old body trucks will have the high and low beams side by side, the new body will be one over the other. Thats the easiest way i know to tell them apart at a glance. 9 MPG highway is quite low, even on a full emissions truck. As far as additives go, its like asking what everyone favorite beer is, personally on the newer diesel trucks i would run either stanadyne, or optilube (by reputation only, its hard to find here). I have used stanadyne for years though, and its good stuff. I also know many truckers who swear by it so if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I would bet that you have an LBZ engine though, not that the specific model of engine should make a huge difference as they are all very similar. I would stay away from additives such as ATF (automatic transmission fluid) 2 stroke oil, marvel mystery oil, or other oil like substances, nothing wrong with most of those on old diesels (except ATF.... youd be nuts to run that) but on modern diesels there a tad more touchy about what you put in the tank. Do you have any kind of scanner that can read the trucks running data like fuel rail pressure, balance and return rates and the like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

Or here

Duramax Engine Identification by VIN Number

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
If the front looks like this it's an LMM, I think 2010 or 2011 was the first year to start using DEF. My 2008 and 2009 did not.

Poor fuel mileage could be an old fuel filter, you might want to check and see when the last time it was changed.
Attached Images

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Oh, your right.... im thinking of the DPF with the extra injector, i believe that came in 07, and prior years just had the cat.

although your aftermarket lights are totally ruining my stated method of telling them apart

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys. hdrolling, yes that’s the body style. i had a scanner that was able to pull parameters, i need to look for it and see if it can pull that info. the truck is in Mississippi and for the moment i live in Knoxville,TN so i have to check both places. i’ve been a company truck driver for 2 years so i mostly just drive, this will be my first diesel truck so i’m having to learn wuick
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking882007 View Post
thanks for the info guys. hdrolling, yes thatís the body style. i had a scanner that was able to pull parameters, i need to look for it and see if it can pull that info. the truck is in Mississippi and for the moment i live in Knoxville,TN so i have to check both places. iíve been a company truck driver for 2 years so i mostly just drive, this will be my first diesel truck so iím having to learn wuick
not much different between driving gas and driving diesel, just gotta keep up with the maintenance, change filters like your supposed to and let it warm up when its cold before romping on it. Dot that and it will last with minimal issues.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The New body style was the beginning of the LMM engine. Early 07 trucks still had the Classic body and the LBZ engine.

The LMM had the DPF and used an "afterburn" injection of diesel in the exhaust stroke of each cylinder to regen the DPF.

The 9th injector was introduced in 2011 with the LML engine.

This article in Wikipedia is a good description of each Duramax version if you are interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

This thread will help you with some maintenance ideas.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the DF!

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in