I have to share my story - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Introductions Introduce yourself here

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I have to share my story

I know Im posting under "introduction" and ive been here a while, but i couldnt think of a better place to put this story i need to tell.I will post sections daily since its a long story, im not worried about how many people see, i just want to get this story out there I joined this forum in 2017, at the time i could be happier with all the information and support on this forum, but before i get into that I'll start at the beginning when i bought my first diesel/duramax. September 2012 i financed a 2003 Chevy lb7 duramax crew cab long bed from a small dealer in Costa Mesa Ca, the truck was extremely clean in and out and had about 130,000 miles on it with no modifications at all. My priorities were to undo the grandpa look it had, i'll post more tomorrow about all the modifications i did to this truck
Attached Images

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
-Rcd 6 inch lift Cognito hd tie rods Cst upper control arms
airbags in the rear 20" KMC XD795 Hoss wheels wrapped with 35x12.5 Patriot tires
-Danville Stage 2 68mm turbo AirdogII 4g 165 Egr delete Dpf delete Afe cat delete pipe Banks 4"exhaust PPE 3" down pipe
-PPE Stage 5 transmission w/billet converter
-EFI Live w/ DSP5 switch tuned by ATP
-Edge insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Welcome back.

2016 GMC DenaliHD Crew Cab 4WD DRW 3500, GAZ Summit White/H2Y Cocoa Dune, 5SA Denali, CF5 Power Sunroof, LML Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel w/ Allison 6 Speed Trans, Il6-I06 Audio System 8" Diagonal Color Touch W/Navigation & Intellilink, U42 Rear Entertainment System, Z82 Trailering Equipment Pkg, Z85 Heavy Duty Suspension, UY2 Camper/5th Wheel Trailer Wiring Provisions, Y65 Driver Alert Package, UD5 Front & Rear Park Assist, KB6 Heated & Vented Seats Driver & Front Passenger, JL1 Trailer Brake Controller
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I'll be checking back in for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Sorry I was too busy at work to continue the story yesterday. My first mod on the lb7 was turbo back 4 inch exhaust, a few weeks later after saving some money, i bought a banks 6 gun tuner. This was 2011 and my first diesel and i had no idea about efi live at the time. i thought the ruck was fun to drive around and was happy as hell with the little clouds of black smoke and spinning the tires now and then. around tax return time 2012 i took the 10k i got back and bought a 9-11 inch cst lift 38 inch tires and, soon after the lift and tires, my rear end started to go out.luckily i still had some money from my tax return, so i had 4.56 gears put in the rear and the truck was set, or so i thought.i would drive on the freeway and my abs light would come on, my speedo was way off, i looked into all this and i needed an actual programmer to calibrator everything i had done i ran out of money and drove the truck like this day to day... around June or July I got in the truck to go to work and it would just crank with a check engine light, later that night i found the crank position sensor went bad so i replaced it and was back on the road
Attached Images

airbags in the rear 20" KMC XD795 Hoss wheels wrapped with 35x12.5 Patriot tires
-Danville Stage 2 68mm turbo AirdogII 4g 165 Egr delete Dpf delete Afe cat delete pipe Banks 4"exhaust PPE 3" down pipe
-Edge insight
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

i had went on a famiily vacation for a a few dya and left the truck at my grandmas house, when i came back the truck had the same issue, it would crank and thats it, so i towed it to the local Chevy dealer to diagnose, lucky for me the fuel filter housing needed to be rebuilt It wasnt anything to costly.I took the tuck home and bought a rebuild kit from napa. At this point I was over the truck, i figured it was almost 10 years old and had around 150,000 miles (I was 23 at the time , and had no idea a duramax can go 400,000+ miles)Its time for something new, before I cant afford to fix this beast
Attached Images

-Edge insight
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Can someone explain to me why folks "lift" trucks - what the advantage is?

I must be msising something - looks to me like "lifting" effectively destroys the truck from any practical use.

In my own case, I bought my 3500 crew cab to tow my trailers, (heavy duty three axle trailers for our motor yacht and our "toy" trailer ( box trailer for show car) each weighing about 11,000 lbs...) mostly "on road" but occasionally "off-road".

One thing these folks to have their trucks "lifted" may not be aware of - understandable; they may not have occasion to look underneath their trucks. Trucks that are two wheel drive have a big lump called a "differential" that sticks out and can get hung up on a rock, no matter how high up you lift the chassis & body.

Trucks that are four wheel drive have an additional differential on the front axle - also sticks down no matter how high you raise the chassis/cab, etc. And thus no less likely to "hang up" on a rock than my "stocker".

In my own case, I remain unclear, and hope someone will explain where the benefit is in having to climb up and down so high to access the cab.

I would also be concerned if I tried to tow any significant weight with a "lifted" truck, about the "moment arm" of the hitch - the additional leverage the weight of the trailer would have; could that bend or otherwise damage the truck's frame.

Then there is the question of safety - wouldn't it be placing the truck in a situation where it would be more likely to overturn?

And what about U-joints - what happens to them at the higher rotational speeds of Interstate driving>

Just curious by a guy who has kept his 'stock'... ? ?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM

I have to share my story

Why did Columbus set sail westward? Because he wanted to, and had the funds.

Why did we put men on the moon? Because we wanted to and could borrow the funds to do so.

To each their own. But I tow with mine too and donít want to lift it for the reasons you stated.

Last edited by MIkey52; 07-20-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

In 2006/2007, my uncle had a 2005 lly, pictured below, lifted with the same lift that i put on this truck, he had 40 inch tires and the first time i seen it , i fell in love with diesel trucks. At the time i was 18/19 and i was star struck by his truck the way it looked and the way it sounded. i told myself that i wanted a truck like that one day...and i did it....Now if i can go back and do it again, i would buy some spindles to level the front end and call it a day, but I can still appreciate a lifted truck
Attached Images

-Edge insight
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
Why did Columbus set sail westward? …….
To each their own. But I tow with mine too and don’t want to lift it for the reasons you stated.
==================================
You lost me. Not clear what Columbus's venture has to do with the reason for "lifting" trucks.

My recollection from writings at the time, was that Columbus was looking to make a fast buck out of a new, faster way to get to & from the Orient. So he arranged for the most practical vessels he could afford at the time, with the funs avail., to accomplish that purpose.

I could use a little extra cash - so if there is a way to improve my financial situation by "lifting" my truck, would really appreciate some hints. As my truck is now, it can do what people buy trucks for. Still trying to figure this out!
sambor likes this.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Some people like lifted trucks. Some people don't. Wtf does it matter to you? There are several lifted trucks on here that pull trailers daily without issue.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Stock
2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode