Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New Owner to Diesel in Cali

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  GoBlowSnow 
#1 ·
Hi All, just bought a 2019 Chevy 3500HD. It is my first diesel, I've had several Chevy trucks but not a diesel. Please let me know if you have any do's and don'ts you have experienced. Any one have input on Banks Power products.

Thanks,

#2 · (Edited)
Banks would not be my first or second choice. I feel like you pay more for less with them than other manufacturers of similar hardware. Though ill admit its been a few years since i bought anything from them since they burned this bridge pretty much to the ground.

As for the truck itself. Theres a bunch of guides on maintenance and what not around the forum in the how to section and in the L5P section. I would start there. the L5P is a new design in the duramax platform, new fuel system, new injectors, a lot has changed on that engine from the LML (previous generation). I dont know enough about the L5P's to tell you one way or the other. but as far as general diesel stuff goes,

dont idle too much if you dont have to

change your fuel filter regularly

buy fuel only from busy stations to avoid getting bad fuel (contaminated with water or particulates) generally a higher volume station moves enough fuel where it doesent sit around long enough to collect water.

your oil IS going to look black, thats normal and not in and of itself a reason to change it.

let your truck warm up a bit before you drive it, let it get up to operating temp before you drive it hard.

long drives are better than short, minimizing short start and stops will prolong the life of the truck. Diesels are meant to run, and run, and run. cruising on the highway is easy on the engine and emissions system. City driving, or errand running is a lot harder on both.

if traveling from south to north in winter MAKE SURE YOU ADD ANTI GEL TO THE TANK BEFORE STARTING. there are 2 grades of diesel, summer and winter. Winter has a lower cloud point than summer, but also less energy density, which is why they dont run it all year round. summer diesel when it gets cold will turn to wax. This will clog the fuel system up and prevent starting. Antigel lowers the cloud point so it doesent gel. If going north to sough, no issue though.

thats all the general diesel stuff that comes to mind right now, im sure theres more.

#4 ·
Welcome aboard and congrats on your truck.

#5 ·
Welcome to the DF!

#6 ·
Welcome to DF and congrats on the truck. If you will PM me your Email address I have a long Email I send out to new diesel owners with tips and what not. Banks make some great products and there are quite a few who use them on their L5P.

If I can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.