Duramax Lifetime Supporter

New 4500/5500 Coming

Just saw this

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ge=BBI89SL%7C1

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Garage
Autoblog lightened the picture a little so you can see a little more. Looks pretty good so far.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/08/...mercial-truck/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-4500HD-and-5500HD-Debutbright.jpg (68.2 KB, 272 views)

DRW Member #124

Current
2006 Suburban 2500 with 8.1L and 4.10s in the very very very early planning stages of being Duramax swapped

Past
2006 LLY 3500 Dually, Stock except 4in exhaust - SOLD 8/15 with 454830 miles and still running strong.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 PM

There have been some official and un official youtube videos on it now.

(WAS) Thinking and learning about the duramax engine and upcoming silverado 4500 truck. Now I am thinking about a Kodiak or Topkick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:54 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
I'm surprised they don't offer the L5P (vs the detuned L5D) as an option on these trucks. If I was a fleet manager I'd probably order L5Ds for longevity and reduced maintenance, but if it was for personal use I'd definitely want the higher HP/torque tune of the L5P. They could also offer re-tuning at dealerships if the truck's use profile is going to change. Seems like obvious "value added" at negligible manufacturer cost.
sambor likes this.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwarren View Post
I'm surprised they don't offer the L5P (vs the detuned L5D) as an option on these trucks. If I was a fleet manager I'd probably order L5Ds for longevity and reduced maintenance, but if it was for personal use I'd definitely want the higher HP/torque tune of the L5P. They could also offer re-tuning at dealerships if the truck's use profile is going to change. Seems like obvious "value added" at negligible manufacturer cost.
I won't say that I have read everything / watched every youtube video on this, but I have searched on what I can find.

It appears that the turbo on the L5D and some tuning are the largest differences - at least to me.

My perception is that the L5D setup is more focused on providing more torque "off the line" and at lower rpms vs. the L5P has more torque at higher rpms. It sort of makes sense - imagine a truck with these higher GVWRs (example a cement truck or heavy duty tow truck). They aren't going to go 90 mph up a hill, but definitely need as much torque as possible at a stop light.
jdwarren likes this.

(WAS) Thinking and learning about the duramax engine and upcoming silverado 4500 truck. Now I am thinking about a Kodiak or Topkick.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM

I signed up on the chevy web site for more information as it becomes available. (as a business)

I did receive one email basically asking how many my business needed ( under 50, something like 50 - 100, 100 - 500, etc)

I answered - "under 50".

It is pretty obvious from that question that they are going to first focus on the people that say "a bunch of them for large fleets", which makes perfect sense.

I guess it gives me a bit more time to save up.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I won't say that I have read everything / watched every youtube video on this, but I have searched on what I can find.

It appears that the turbo on the L5D and some tuning are the largest differences - at least to me.

My perception is that the L5D setup is more focused on providing more torque "off the line" and at lower rpms vs. the L5P has more torque at higher rpms. It sort of makes sense - imagine a truck with these higher GVWRs (example a cement truck or heavy duty tow truck). They aren't going to go 90 mph up a hill, but definitely need as much torque as possible at a stop light.
That seems reasonable. And while it's possible to achieve whatever torque is desired via gear reduction, the engine is probably more thermodynamically efficient at lower RPMs, so a smaller/lighter turbo that makes the power curve steeper would be optimal (thermodynamically and, therefore, financially), even if the engine's maximum power is somewhat reduced. This has the additional benefit (to the fleet manager) of keeping the engine away from its maximum design power, thus increasing longevity.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
For me, GM not putting the DEF fill on the driverside of the truck I see this truck as a giant flop. Way worse location than on our trucks... at least with under the hood, the hose at the truck stop still reaches driving into the pump at an angle. Now on the passenger side fender wall, what do you do, drop the hood and stretch the hose over the motor?

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 666,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon

Last edited by chevor; 11-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:34 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Keeps the likelihood of contamination lower?

Like the bobtail driver I had to rescue the other day, who mistakenly filled the DEF tank (next to the fuel tank) on the Freightliner with the BLUE nozzle 87 octane Ethanol free instead.

I've heard of similar stories where the DEF fill was inside the same fuel door as the Diesel. The DEF fill had a sleeve in it to keep a Diesel nozzle from fitting.....but not the smaller gasoline nozzles.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
On GM Vans and the Colorado and Canyon models the DEF Fill is next to the fuel fill on the driver side.

What Im saying is try pullling into a busy truck stop to refill DEF with a trailer and you have to either try to go the opposite way the line is to pull up to the pump, bring your on container to fill DEF, or pay over $5 a gallon more to buy their containers they sell inside.

Its just stupid that GM is still are not aware of, after 10 years of DEF, they do not know what side of the vehicle the Fueling stations put the DEF pump on.

What I think is even worse yet is International did not object to this placement. What would be funny is if on their brand badged models they put the fill on the driver side.

I still get stares when I drive at an angle into the pump with my 3500 2013s.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 666,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon

Last edited by chevor; 11-18-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode