Excessive regens! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Excessive regens!

I just picked up a new 2019 GMC 3500 Denali 2 weeks ago. It has the new L5P in it which I love the power and torque. I had a 13 LML and a 15 LML and the 13 I deleted emissions problems solved, the 15 I only had 38,000 on it when I just traded it and I never deleted it. At worst I would get 300 before a regen in the 15 usually it was in the 400 mile range. I do a lot of in town driving.

I’ve put less than 300 miles on this new truck and I’ve already had two regens. I use the Edge insight to monitor and the last regen came after 164 miles. Currently it shows soot accumulation at 32% and it only has 38 miles since the last regen. Has anyone had this issue and if so what the solution.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I have a 2019 Silverado 3500 HD High Country with about 3,000 miles ... experience more frequent regens when driving only in town ... approximately 200 to 250 miles between regens. When I take my truck out on the highway for work road trips ... get 400+ miles between regens. I am convinced the quality of the diesel makes a significant difference in the soot and regen frequency. Dealer gave me a full tank of diesel when I picked up the truck. The quality of the dealer supplied diesel was really bad ... even had a small amount of moisture in it ... experienced two regens right away like you did. I am lucky to have a Costco with diesel right by my house ... so now my truck only gets good quality diesel at a great price. We can thank Uncle Sam for making the emissions restrictions tighter every year ... which lowers the life of our DPF at $2,500+ to replace. That is why I trade my truck every few years.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
I have a 2019 Silverado 3500 HD High Country with about 3,000 miles ... experience more frequent regens when driving only in town ... approximately 200 to 250 miles between regens. When I take my truck out on the highway for work road trips ... get 400+ miles between regens. I am convinced the quality of the diesel makes a significant difference in the soot and regen frequency. Dealer gave me a full tank of diesel when I picked up the truck. The quality of the dealer supplied diesel was really bad ... even had a small amount of moisture in it ... experienced two regens right away like you did. I am lucky to have a Costco with diesel right by my house ... so now my truck only gets good quality diesel at a great price. We can thank Uncle Sam for making the emissions restrictions tighter every year ... which lowers the life of our DPF at $2,500+ to replace. That is why I trade my truck every few years.
Curious how you determined this, you had the fuel tested??

2015.5 Silverado 3500HD LTZ Z71 SRW
Summit White
275/65/20 Duratrac's on Black WORX Beast II Wheels
Edge Insight CTS2
Cognito UCA's, Idler, Tie Rods.
Back Flip Tonneau Cover
Ride Rites/ Wireless Compressor
EchoMaster IntelliHaul Camera System
22K Reese

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Your regens are in line with my 2018.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
See page 50 of the Duramax Diesel Owner's Manual Supplement.

I got the "WATER IN FUEL SERVICE REQUIRED" message on my dash.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Fabtech 4” Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
Let me clarify my previous statement ... "That is why I trade my truck every few years.".

Even though I really want the new 10-speed "Allison" transmission ... the redesigned front-end of the 2020 HD truck is so ugly I will be keeping this truck for a while (unless they do another redesign in the next few years due to all the complaint ;-).

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Fabtech 4” Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried something like DPF remedy to decrease the sooting of the exhaust?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wing View Post
Has anyone tried something like DPF remedy to decrease the sooting of the exhaust?

Kindly see the Duramax Diesel Owner's Manual Supplement where they explicitly recommend against additives of any kind in the fuel.

The manual states that any warranty claim issues caused by additives may not be covered by warranty ... and if I know GM ... they will look for any way to get out of warranty due to additive use.

Honestly ... I drive areas that can get down to -40 deg in the winter ... so I do carry Power Service 911 with me to dissolve gelled fuel at these low temperatures (emergency situation only).

Only once have I had to get under a truck, remove the fuel filter because of gelled fuel plugging the filter, and that was a company Ford F-450 in 2008 (Big Piney, WY at -35 deg F).

They blend in #1 diesel into #2 diesel where I live in the winter to lower the gelling point of diesel, so it has to be very cold to have issues.

But in case of poor blending, I also add Power Service Fuel Supplement when I will be traveling where temperatures are below 10 deg F.

Since I am a chemical engineer (BFD some will say), I know this product is not an emulsifier or other additive makeup that could cause damage, and Power Service (parent company) sells this stuff by the barrel to the trucking industry with years of proving no harm will be done.

But in the end if GM wanted to push the issue because of a warranty claim ... and they were denying the claim saying they could prove it was the additive ... I am willing to take that risk in an emergency situation only.

Of course ... all of this is just my personal opinion(s) being stated ... just afraid to be the Ginnie pig since these L5P's have so many sensitive sensors that are very expensive ...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:03 PM

Like UT engineer I carry a bottle of 911 in my trucks for an emergency but fortunately I have never had to use it although I did just buy a new bottle since it probably degrades with age. I will add regular Power Service if I suspect I have an unsuitable blend (like buying fuel in a warmer region of the country in winter before heading back into cold country).

Exxon announced a "premium" diesel that is supposed to provide better mileage and it seems to do so by slightly reducing the frequency of regens (and thus the wasted additional fuel during the "self cleaning" oven phase of DPF operation). Most of my trips are longer and I have very little stop and go driving; my long-term fuel mileage with my 2018 at 5,000 miles is 17.7 and rising as it completes break-in. One regen per tank is pretty typical; I do plan to buy a CTS or similar monitor so that I can trigger a regen while driving once the DPF loading is high to ensure it is done during sustained highway driving instead of trying to start just before I return home or trying to regen during my infrequent stop and go driving.

The only way the DPF has really changed my driving from my 2006 is I do find myself more hesitant to use heavy throttle when taking off. I remember how much soot the LBZ would expel during this operation and thinking of all of that being captured in the DPF isn't a happy thought.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I started with w 07 LBZ and tuned it then I got a 2013 Chevy LML and deleted it (great truck), then bought a 2015 Chevy LML High country(kept stock). But the GMC Denali looks so much better. So I bought the 2019 GMC Denali 3500. LOVE THE POWER! Hate the emissions. Saw the 2020 body and you couldn’t give me one, they are so ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode