Another Coolant Low Service Bulletin 18-NA-006 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Another Coolant Low Service Bulletin 18-NA-006

So I have been having the loww coolant warning for the past week. I have put almost a half gallon of antifreeze in it in the past two days. Took it top the Dealer this morning, and they just called to say that they can't find a leak, and infomred me of the fill issue at the factory bulletin. I explained that I feel this should have been recitfied in the 42K miles that the truck has on it. The lady advisor stated that this just came out in July'18.

So I am confused as to why this is just now happening, and also I have noticed that the RPM's have been elevated like it is constantly in Regen mode. She stated this morning that only they can make the truck go into Regen. I guess, I'm not aware of this fact. Anyone know of this fact?

Anyway, if anyone has any info on this TSB, please let me know. I haven't found anything on it yet.

Thanks,

Edit 4/4/14
2017 CC SRW Midnight Edition - Love the new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

So I picked up my truck last week after this issue. Dealer said it was fixed and he warning came on again this past weekend. Took it back today, and they are stating that the Reservoir might have a pin hole in it causing this issue. I asked then why it was not leaking externally and that I had put a half gallon of coolant in before I took it in the first time. Of course, they didn't remember me telling them this. So it can't be the fill issue from the factory, in my mind, as I have too many miles on it.

We deal with this issue here at our plant with our machines, and my fear is that the EGR cooler or something that goes along those lines may have an issue. Anyone else see this type of problem?

Bill

Edit 4/4/14
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
So I picked up my truck last week after this issue. Dealer said it was fixed and he warning came on again this past weekend. Took it back today, and they are stating that the Reservoir might have a pin hole in it causing this issue. I asked then why it was not leaking externally and that I had put a half gallon of coolant in before I took it in the first time. Of course, they didn't remember me telling them this. So it can't be the fill issue from the factory, in my mind, as I have too many miles on it.

We deal with this issue here at our plant with our machines, and my fear is that the EGR cooler or something that goes along those lines may have an issue. Anyone else see this type of problem?

Bill
mine is in the shop as I type. It's been a month now. Flush after flush. Head gaskets and a new tank/sensor replacement. 34k on the dash now. Seems too many miles to be air from manufacturing and not enough miles to be replacing the head gasket. got it back after 3.5 weeks and it lost a tank of fluid in just 500 miles. I'm really interested in how yours turns out so let me know.

2017 L5P 2500hd LT 4X4 CC/LB
Edge CTS2-B&W turnover with companion-Gatorback flaps-leveled-Fuel rims-roof racks-air bags
2005 LLY 2500hd LS 4x4 CC/LB Traded in (big mistake)

2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI Bought back
Custom Tunes by "The Germans"
Tunes sentenced to death by EPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that you are having the same type of issue. So, they replaced the tank and sensor. Evidently, GM decided it was best to make the sensor not a separate item. So far, for a week and a half, everything is good. Have them check the DPF to see if coolant is saturating it. I was concerned again that the EGR cooler on mine was leaking. They did pressure testing and confirmed nothing was leaking down. If you had a leakdown, and they replaced the headgaskets, then they might have missed on the diagnosis.

Bill

Edit 4/4/14
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM

IN the TSB, there are several leak points in the piping that they need to check. Have you seen the documentation that lays all that out? When mine was in for this issue, I had the TSB printed with the pictures too so that they knew about it and where to look. Mind had no coolant leak at that point and was just an improperly burped system. I think I had that issue around the 14k mile mark. So far, it has not come back up. Do yourself a favor and have them check the connections that the TSB calls for.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
If you had a leakdown, and they replaced the headgaskets, then they might have missed on the diagnosis.

Bill
As of this am the latest in my issue the dealer told me they found a loose hose most likely bumped during the head gasket replacement. So it was leaking there, they are still testing and hopefully I get it back soon. They previously mentioned it would get pressure and leak tested but I don't know how much they did to find the loose hose issue. Hoping that is the last of this low coolant issue and it holds now.

2017 L5P 2500hd LT 4X4 CC/LB
Edge CTS2-B&W turnover with companion-Gatorback flaps-leveled-Fuel rims-roof racks-air bags
2005 LLY 2500hd LS 4x4 CC/LB Traded in (big mistake)

2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI Bought back
Custom Tunes by "The Germans"
Tunes sentenced to death by EPA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta96man View Post
Quote:
If you had a leakdown, and they replaced the headgaskets, then they might have missed on the diagnosis.

Bill
As of this am the latest in my issue the dealer told me they found a loose hose most likely bumped during the head gasket replacement.
So it was leaking there, they are still testing and hopefully I get it back soon. They previously mentioned it would get pressure and leak tested but I don't know how much they did to find the loose hose issue. Hoping that is the last of this low coolant issue and it holds now.
Did they show you the bad head gasket

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 2wd Crew Cab. Stock. 200 mile regen club
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 AM

No. I stopped in during the repair and held the passenger side gasket. It was fine. Wether they are telling the truth or lying about the drivers side being cracked doesn’t help me in the fact they still tore down my engine. If I was a betting guy id say it was just the tank sensor to begin with like 99% of guys on here are saying about the low coolant warning.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM

Did they inspect the parts related to the service bulletin on this? It clearly lays out what they were supposed to look at for leaks. I think this dealer missed step 1 and stupidly tore the engine down chasing their tail.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Anyway, if anyone has any info on this TSB, please let me know. I haven't found anything on it yet.
This TSB # is not EXACTLY what you asked for (16 vs 18) but appears to address your problems.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8906/filling-t...-chevrolet-gmc
This page also as a link to a downloadable PDF file with the information

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode