Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/l5p-tsb-service-bulletins-recalls-updates/)
-   -   GM Recall #: N182206311 (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/l5p-tsb-service-bulletins-recalls-updates/995419-gm-recall-n182206311.html)

UTEngineer 05-15-2019 06:07 PM

GM Recall #: N182206311

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone had their truck fixed yet for this latest Duramax block heater cord recall ?

The description of the fix in the “My Chevrolet” app on my iPhone is a little unsettling.

Cut the cord and make the customer aware is basically what I read as the repair description in the screenshot below.

I travel for work where it gets extremely cold ... -20 deg F and below even during daylight hours ... so I actually need the block heater on my truck.

Also ... I believe we paid for that block heater as a cold climate option.

Kindly let me know your thoughts ...

redwngr 05-15-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEngineer (Post 12159099)
Has anyone had their truck fixed yet for this latest Duramax block heater cord recall ?

The description of the fix in the “My Chevrolet” app on my iPhone is a little unsettling.

Cut the cord and make the customer aware is basically what I read as the repair description in the screenshot below.

I travel for work where it gets extremely cold ... -20 deg F and below even during daylight hours ... so I actually need the block heater on my truck.

Also ... I believe we paid for that block heater as a cold climate option.

Kindly let me know your thoughts ...

No, you didn't pay 'extra' to add a block heater to your duramax.
Block heater is a standard feature of every duramax.

It is optional on the gasser.

My understanding is further notification will happen when they have a solution ready.

UTEngineer 05-15-2019 08:52 PM

Thanks for the response ... I incorrectly guessed it was like the gassers where it was optional ... i.e. did not know it was standard on all Duramax diesels.

Guess the guys who live down south where it doesn’t freeze probably don’t care if they remove it.

wq93 05-16-2019 04:59 AM

They are probably working with the supplier on a permanent solution but are limiting liability at the current time by disabling the heater. It should be simpler than the heated washer fluid debacle of a decade ago where GM first had a recall then later removed the device and compensated the customer. But that isn't a potential solution for the block heater because it is a necessity rather than a convenience.

And it is all just another symptom of share price driven modern corporate culture with its hyper short term orientation valuing cost cuts above all else thus leading to quality little better than what we used to laugh about when thinking of factories in the PRC.

redwngr 05-16-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTEngineer (Post 12159177)
Thanks for the response ... I incorrectly guessed it was like the gassers where it was optional ... i.e. did not know it was standard on all Duramax diesels.

Guess the guys who live down south where it doesn’t freeze probably don’t care if they remove it.

It would take quite a bit colder than 'freezing' to cause starting problems.

They start fine (at least) down to 0*F without it.

But, I still want it there, so that if the truck encounters a patch of temperatures much below that the heater can be prepped (uncoiled from factory location) and put into use.

I fully expect GM to have a proper solution prior to the return of below 0*F weather.
I also understand why they have want the current unit disabled in the mean time.

MIkey52 05-16-2019 10:00 AM

Maybe they are counting on global warming to take care of the problem before the warranty runs out.

Big Daddy Yum Yum 05-16-2019 02:30 PM

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2017-2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 vehicles and certain 2017-2019 model year GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles. In vehicles equipped with the Duramax diesel 6.6 liter engine and the optional engine-block heater cord, a short-circuit condition may develop in the engine-block heater cable or in the terminals that connect the heater cable to the block heater. A short-circuit condition can cause damage to engine components and, in rare cases, start a fire in the engine compartment.

Correction
Dealers are to cut the heater cord and place the customer disclosure in plain view inside the vehicle. This disable procedure does not apply to the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500/5500/6500 at this time.

This recall applies to used inventory. For customer vehicles, you do not need to disable the engine-block heater. If the customer requests the disable procedure be completed, you may proceed but advising the customer to NOT use the heater block cord is sufficient. GM is developing a final repair that will restore the functionality of the engine-block heater.

Dealers will be advised when the disable procedure and remedy for 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500/5500/6500 medium duty trucks is available. At this time, these new vehicles are on a stop delivery order under N182206312.

All involved vehicles that are in used inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle

J83 05-16-2019 02:56 PM

i just dont understand how hard it can be to make a block heater that doesent catch on fire. Seems kind of ridiculous theres another recall for the same problem they already had a recall for a couple years ago on the cruze platform. I did a quick search but didnt see much, is there some major difference on the current block heaters over previous generations?

redwngr 05-16-2019 06:39 PM

Ford is also recalling (Dec 2018) trucks because of fires caused by block heaters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1OK1G0

Anybody know if they are both using the same supplier???

Carolina_coast99 05-17-2019 04:23 AM

I have a dumb question (this is my first diesel- remember- haha)
Where is the cord for this block heater? I cannot find mine.
I see the heater is standard, so.... does this also mean the cord comes standard with all Dmaxx's?
Thanks in advance for any info.