GM Recall #: N182206311 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
GM Recall #: N182206311

Has anyone had their truck fixed yet for this latest Duramax block heater cord recall ?

The description of the fix in the “My Chevrolet” app on my iPhone is a little unsettling.

Cut the cord and make the customer aware is basically what I read as the repair description in the screenshot below.

I travel for work where it gets extremely cold ... -20 deg F and below even during daylight hours ... so I actually need the block heater on my truck.

Also ... I believe we paid for that block heater as a cold climate option.

Kindly let me know your thoughts ...
Attached Images

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air

Last edited by UTEngineer; 05-15-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Has anyone had their truck fixed yet for this latest Duramax block heater cord recall ?

The description of the fix in the “My Chevrolet” app on my iPhone is a little unsettling.

Cut the cord and make the customer aware is basically what I read as the repair description in the screenshot below.

I travel for work where it gets extremely cold ... -20 deg F and below even during daylight hours ... so I actually need the block heater on my truck.

Also ... I believe we paid for that block heater as a cold climate option.

Kindly let me know your thoughts ...
No, you didn't pay 'extra' to add a block heater to your duramax.
Block heater is a standard feature of every duramax.

It is optional on the gasser.

My understanding is further notification will happen when they have a solution ready.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thanks for the response ... I incorrectly guessed it was like the gassers where it was optional ... i.e. did not know it was standard on all Duramax diesels.

Guess the guys who live down south where it doesn’t freeze probably don’t care if they remove it.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Tuff Country Leveling Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Wheels, Michelin Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 AM

They are probably working with the supplier on a permanent solution but are limiting liability at the current time by disabling the heater. It should be simpler than the heated washer fluid debacle of a decade ago where GM first had a recall then later removed the device and compensated the customer. But that isn't a potential solution for the block heater because it is a necessity rather than a convenience.

And it is all just another symptom of share price driven modern corporate culture with its hyper short term orientation valuing cost cuts above all else thus leading to quality little better than what we used to laugh about when thinking of factories in the PRC.
UTEngineer likes this.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Thanks for the response ... I incorrectly guessed it was like the gassers where it was optional ... i.e. did not know it was standard on all Duramax diesels.

Guess the guys who live down south where it doesn’t freeze probably don’t care if they remove it.
It would take quite a bit colder than 'freezing' to cause starting problems.

They start fine (at least) down to 0*F without it.

But, I still want it there, so that if the truck encounters a patch of temperatures much below that the heater can be prepped (uncoiled from factory location) and put into use.

I fully expect GM to have a proper solution prior to the return of below 0*F weather.
I also understand why they have want the current unit disabled in the mean time.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Maybe they are counting on global warming to take care of the problem before the warranty runs out.
UTEngineer likes this.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2017-2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 vehicles and certain 2017-2019 model year GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles. In vehicles equipped with the Duramax diesel 6.6 liter engine and the optional engine-block heater cord, a short-circuit condition may develop in the engine-block heater cable or in the terminals that connect the heater cable to the block heater. A short-circuit condition can cause damage to engine components and, in rare cases, start a fire in the engine compartment.

Correction
Dealers are to cut the heater cord and place the customer disclosure in plain view inside the vehicle. This disable procedure does not apply to the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500/5500/6500 at this time.

This recall applies to used inventory. For customer vehicles, you do not need to disable the engine-block heater. If the customer requests the disable procedure be completed, you may proceed but advising the customer to NOT use the heater block cord is sufficient. GM is developing a final repair that will restore the functionality of the engine-block heater.

Dealers will be advised when the disable procedure and remedy for 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500/5500/6500 medium duty trucks is available. At this time, these new vehicles are on a stop delivery order under N182206312.

All involved vehicles that are in used inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle

2015 Duramax LmL
5" exhaust no Muffler
PPEI 5 stage Tuner
Fass 150 lift With Sump
Edge Insight cts2 With EGT Probe
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

i just dont understand how hard it can be to make a block heater that doesent catch on fire. Seems kind of ridiculous theres another recall for the same problem they already had a recall for a couple years ago on the cruze platform. I did a quick search but didnt see much, is there some major difference on the current block heaters over previous generations?
jdwarren likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Ford is also recalling (Dec 2018) trucks because of fires caused by block heaters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1OK1G0

Anybody know if they are both using the same supplier???

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I have a dumb question (this is my first diesel- remember- haha)
Where is the cord for this block heater? I cannot find mine.
I see the heater is standard, so.... does this also mean the cord comes standard with all Dmaxx's?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Current Truck:
2019 Sierra 3500HD DURAMAX L5P; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg, 5th wheel/goose neck prep pkg>
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xTra Cab, V6, 213,xxx miles
Aftermarket Items:
-Dark as legal tint;window visors; Ranch Hand front bumper; Weathertech hood protector;
Gone but not Forgotten:
2016 Sierra 3500HD 6.0; W/T, 4wd, CC, SRW, Standard Box. <snow plow prep pkg>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in